CPFReviews.com: NiteCore Extreme TM ... Extreme Closeup Pics Added...

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
NiteCore Extreme TM
provided for review by www.NiteCore.com
CPFMP Sales & Information Thread from EDGETac: 177497

General Description:

NiteCore Extreme is single CR123 battery based flashlight from EDGE Tactical Light Co. Ltd. NiteCore Extreme belongs to NiteCore Tactical series of flashlights from EDGETac. NiteCore Extreme is specially designed for Law Enforcement personal and for self defense. The NiteCore Extreme has two light operating levels both of which are are configurable through light programming and are memorised. LED used in NiteCore Extreme is high efficiency Cree 7090 XR-E Premium Q5 binned WC tint LED. Reflector of NiteCore Extreme is built from solid aluminum with Light Orange Peel (LOP) reflector finish. The Glass lens in front is
anti-reflective impact resistant lens with Dual-Coating (TM). Dual-Coating is the specialty diamond coating on outer surface of the lens over the AR coating. The DI Extreme uses digitally regulated electronic drive circuit along with micro controller based programming unit. Brightness levels are controlled by turning the head. The body of NiteCore Extreme is built of military grade aluminum alloy. Light is coated inside out with military spec type III hard anodized finish that is highly suitable for rough usage. HAIII anodizing makes NiteCore Extreme durable and protects from normal wear and tear. The NiteCore Extreme comes pre installed with removable pocket clip on battery tube. The tactical forward type click switch located at the tail cap end has black color rubber boot. The advantage of tactical switch is it allows momentary operation. Battery contact spring at the tail cap switch end is gold plated ensuring very good connectivity with the battery. The positive contact on head is solid aluminum. There are O-Ring seals at various places for waterproofing, NiteCore Extreme meets IPX-8 Waterproof Standard. The Overall build quality of NiteCore Extreme is superb. DI Extreme meets US MIL - STD - 810 F standard resistance to impact by dropping. NiteCore Extreme comes in nice cardboard box packaging along with accessories.

Light Features:
  • US MIL - STD - 810 F standard resistance to impact by droping
  • Meets the IPX - 8 standard waterproof specifications
  • Premium Type III hard-anodizedfinish
  • Dual-Coating based AR coated impact resistant glass lens
  • Solid aluminum LOP reflector
  • Cree 7090 XR-E Premium Q5 binned WC tint LED
  • Digitally controlled, regulated drive circuit
  • Can operate either on standard CR123 or on RCR123 battery
  • Two programmable light levels
  • Forward type, tactical click switch

Light Operation: Tactical click switch with momentary mode. For Switching ON / OFF use tail cap switch. Click once to switch on, click again to switch off. For momentary operation soft press the switch.

High Mode: is achieved by fully tightening the head. In default factory setting, the light output is maximum in this mode. Typically 190 lumens on CR123 battery.

Low Mode: Loosen the head for low mode for low light output. Low mode is in deed low light output. Typically less than 10 lumens.

Pictures:

Packaging & Contents: NiteCore Extreme comes packaged card board box. Inside the main card board box, the light is sandwiched in between two foam beds. Operating manual, accessories are placed at the bottom of the box. Inside the box showing NiteCore Extreme flashlight.
IMG_1443_NiteCore-DI-Extreme_Box.jpg

Other contents and accessories include warranty card with bar code, operators manual for NiteCore Extreme, Two additional O-Rings, one tailcap switch boot, two additional tailcap switches and tool to remove pre installed pocket clip.
IMG_1550_NiteCore-DI-Extreme_Ace-1.jpg

Size Comparison:From L to R: AW RCR123 Battery and NiteCore Extreme.
IMG_1476_NiteCore-DI-Extreme_Size.jpg

Bezel Comparison: On the left is NovaTac 120T, where as on right is NiteCore Extreme. The reflector diameter is about 21mm. The beam pattern is very good hotspot with good side spill.
IMG_1450_NiteCore-DI-Extreme_Bezel.jpg

Bezel:Let's have a closer look at the bezel of NiteCore Extreme. The premium binned Cree XR-E LED is aligned perfectly in center. The reflector in NiteCore Extreme built from solid Aluminium. The reflector has Light Orange Peel (LOP) finish ensures perfect beam. Beam pattern for DI Extreme is mostly throw with good side spill free from rings and any artifacts.
IMG_1454_NiteCore-DI-Extreme_Reflec.jpg

Body: NiteCore Extreme is built from military grade aluminium. Body is sandblasted to give a matt finish and has black color military specification hard coat type III anodizing for protection from wear and tear. The built quality of NiteCore Extreme is excellent. The tailcap and installed pocket clip prevent light roll off. Tailcap has means of attaching lanyard. Overall the construction of NiteCore Extreme is fairly strong.
IMG_1473_NiteCore-DI-Extreme_Body.jpg

IMG_1539_NiteCore-DI-Extreme_Body.jpg

IMG_1455_NiteCore-DI-Extreme_Bezel.jpg

IMG_1470_NiteCore-DI-Extreme_Body.jpg

IMG_1471_NiteCore-DI-Extreme_Tail.jpg

Components: NiteCore Extreme consists of two main components, head, battery tube with tailcap installed. Head houses LED, reflector and electronics where as the battery tube tail cap combo accommodates single CR123 battery. There is no rattle of batteries, AW RCR123 Battery has enough space is there for free movement. Tailcap has switch with rubber boot.
IMG_1479_NiteCore-DI-Extreme_Compon.jpg

Head: There is a band of diamond shaped knurling on the head for better grip. This additional grip helps to twist head for changing light levels. E3 is laser engraved over the head indicating the drive circuit and electronics are specifically built for 3V - 4.2V CR123 sized batteries this includes standard CR123 battery as well as RCR123 battery. There are five heat radiating fins helping in better heat dissipation Fins typically resemble those found on heat sinks. The fins not only help in heat dissipation but also enhance the cosmetic look of the NiteCore Extreme light.
IMG_1543_NiteCore-DI-Extreme_HeadHe.jpg

Manufacturers Note: The E3 printed on the light bezel means it's Light Engine E3 circuit, the input voltage is 2.2V-4.2V, so please be cautious when you use this bezel on other bodies, you should NOT use 2 CR123 batteries, or the light bezel will be damaged due to excessive voltage input.

Battery Tube & Tailcap: Threads on battery tube of NiteCore Extreme are anodized. Threads are lubricated nicely. There is a translucent O-Ring sitting behind the threads. The advantage of anodized threads is it prevents the thread wear during normal usage. This is due to the fact that anodizing provides hard surface of aluminium oxide which is resistant to wear. Diamond knurling on battery tube of NiteCore Extreme offers excellent grip. Battery tube has two flat machined surfaces making a place available for laser engraving. Light model number, LED power, company name and company logo and website address are laser engraved on the flat surfaces.
IMG_1497_NiteCore-DI-Extreme_Tube.jpg

IMG_1544_NiteCore-DI-Extreme_Knurli.jpg

IMG_1517_NiteCore-DI-Extreme_Knurli.jpg

Beamshot's NiteCore Extreme High & Low:Here is the Beamshot Matrix shows NiteCore Extreme on Low & High light levels with single CR123 and AW RCR123 battery. All beamshots are taken at f/8 aperture with varying shutter speed.

NiteCore-DI-Extreme-BeamMatrix-CPF.jpg

Detailed review here...

Update 1: Added Lots of Pictures and Some additional information here...

Beamshots will post by evening.... waiting to get dark :D ... Very good beam and tint is my initial impression....

It appears that nitecore site is not yet updated, if you are interested in this light, please visit CPFMP Sales & Informaiton Thread from EDGETAC: 177497

Update 2: OK now we have some of the things setup...and completed...

First let's talk about the total output as many have wondered the difference between the two. NDI Silver and NDI Extreme. The NDI Extreme indeed has more output with same chemistry battery Li-Ion.

The output is different. Here is the chart. <edit> chart removed, see update 4
Beamshots are done, Resizing and posting soon ;) in a few moments....

Update 2: Beamshots 1
NiteCore-DI-Extreme-BeamMatrix-CPF.jpg

More beamshots Here...

Update 3: Beamshots 2 Here is the comparison between beamshots of NiteCore Extreme and NiteCore Defender Infinity Silver
NiteCore-DI-Extreme_vs_NDIS-BeamMat.jpg

More here...

Update 4: Comparitive Output Here is the comparison chart for outputs of NiteCore Extreme and NiteCore Defender Infinity Silver with various battery types and conditions
NiteCoreInfinityLightOutputs.gif

From the above chart it is clear that there is a distinct difference between outputs of NiteCore Extreme and NiteCore Defender Infinity Silver. Please be aware that the sample size is ONE and there is always a variance in battery, electronics and LED. Some times LED may be one off the premium. Some tmes batteries may be underperforming. In short, there are a lot of factors that affect the total light output. The fact remains that light output of NiteCore Extreme is higher than NiteCore Defender Infinity Silver for similar battery chemistries. selfbuilt in his initial views has also confirmed the fact. I will update this section as soon as his review is posted.

Update 5: Extreme Close Up Pictures Here are a couple of extreme closeup pictures for NiteCore Extreme
NiteCore-Extreme_ExtremeCloseUP_09.jpg

NiteCore-Extreme_ExtremeCloseUP_07.jpg

More here...

Update 6: Runtime Test: The runtime for NiteCore Extreme with AW RCR123 on MAX light output is about 47 Minutes till 50% . NiteCore Extreme runs completely in regulation. Runtime for NiteCore Extreme for lesser output levels will be considerably more. From the runtime, it is evident that NiteCore Extreme has one of the efficient circuits out there. It is as of till date the best combinaiton for longest running and highest brightness.
RT_NiteCore_Extreme_Max.gif

These results are in line and similar to selfbuilt's results prooving consistancy in light runtime for different samples. More excellent runtime tests by self built can be viewed on selfbuilt's excellent review thread

Last edited:

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: CPFReviews.com: NiteCore Defender Extreme TM ... Initial Preview

Lookin sharp! Wanna sell it to me? :)

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks ViReN, you are number one!

:twothumbs:twothumbs:twothumbs:twothumbs:twothumbs:twothumbs

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast

:kewlpics:

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

i cant believe i was actually considering giving this light a pass...

looks GREAT!

Crenshaw

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast

Beamshots will post by evening.... waiting to get dark :D ... Very good beam and tint ...is my initial impression....

It appears that nitecore site is not yet updated, if you are interested in this light, please visit
CPFMP Sales Thread from EDGETAC: 177497

FireStik

Newly Enlightened

i cant believe i was actually considering giving this light a pass...

looks GREAT!

Crenshaw
Same here. But then I realized my Raidfire Spear has been welded to my left hand for several months, and I figured if the Extreme was anything like that one I had better go for it. The "new toy" infatuation usually wears off after a week or so, but that hasn't been the case with my Spear.

FireStik

Newly Enlightened

Beamshots will post by evening.... waiting to get dark :D ... Very good beam and tint ...is my initial impression....

It appears that nitecore site is not yet updated, if you are interested in this light, please visit CPFMP Sales Thread from EDGETAC: 177497
I just read your review (so far). VERY impressive - looking forward to the beamshots!! Thanks for your work on this.

broadwayblue

Newly Enlightened

quick question...what are the main differences between the Extreme and the Infinity? It seems like the Extreme is a bit larger and is slightly brighter (~10 lumens) at max output. Besides the fact that it runs on different batteries, are there any other major differences?

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks ViReN,

Looking forward to your beam shots and impression on the lumens count. Is it brighter than the Infinity? How much?

Thanks again.

Bill

Last edited:

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast

quick question...what are the main differences between the Extreme and the Infinity? It seems like the Extreme is a bit larger and is slightly brighter (~10 lumens) at max output. Besides the fact that it runs on different batteries, are there any other major differences?

Infinity is Single AA Cell based where as Extreme is Single CR123 battery based...

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast

Cool review ViReN! The light has to be one of the sexiest lights I have ever seen, really, WOW!
Good stuff!

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast

:grin2: No :) .. But you can check sales thread from EDGETAC

Unfortunately that is not a sales thread. Edgetac is not selling them direct. And there is not a Nitecore dealer in the USA that I will do business with. I will keep my eye on the BST.

mighty82

Enlightened

Infinity is Single AA Cell based where as Extreme is Single CR123 battery based...
He did write "Besides the fact that it runs on different batteries, are there any other major differences?"

RainerWahnsinn

Enlightened

Thank you ViReN,
very nice review, hope I´ll get my Extreme next week. Litemania shipped it today. I really believe, this will be me edc instead of NovaTac or Twisty. They are now going to have a rest on the shelf.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

Unfortunately that is not a sales thread. Edgetac is not selling them direct. And there is not a Nitecore dealer in the USA that I will do business with. I will keep my eye on the BST.
thier selling it e-bay, seeing as i have no idea how to navigate Litemania.com i might jsut get it from ebay....:eek:oo:

Crenshaw

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast

It is brighter than Infinity because NDI is rated at 190 emitter lumens and NDE 200 torch lumens. That's why it runs 30 minutes shorter on RCR123 than NDI using 14500.