Credit Card Flashlights

K

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all
just wondered if any of you guys have seen these :
http://www.iainsinclair.com/pages/performance.html

they look like fancy versions of the ever ready cardlight, but they do look very cool indeed. i have the classic one ordered, will let you guys know how it compares to my streamlight keymate ( my only other LED light.....that is until my AB-ARC arrives /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif )

dirobesh

dirobesh

Enlightened
I have the Eon Ice - the beam is not at all focused. I'll post pics if anyone's interested.

shiftd

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
yes please, pics are always welcome.
The site said that the light output was 2500 lux? is that close up measurement or they make a typo? There is no way a led (not luxeon) can make that kind of output

shiftd

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, DavidW.

L

lightnix

Enlightened
A masterpiece... of style over substance.

Brock

Brock

Flashaholic
I also have one, the beam is similar, the dice look. You also can't really carry it in a pocket or wallet; it turns on with the pressure of sitting on it, oh well.

K

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whoops, looks like ive flushed £20 down the toilet. At least i have an ARC LS winging its way to me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

L

lightnix

Enlightened
And I think I can easily guess which one will be giving you faithful service in two years time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thinking back, I'm sure I recall these things having been around since the mid 90s. You can get some of their models from other online shops in the UK, but they never seem to have made it beyond the gadget market, although I think I've seen them as promo gifts on one or two occasions. The design is outwardly attractive, but inwardly flawed; replaceable batteries and a better switch would certainly be a start. I also find it a litle irritating when environmentally friendly products like LEDs are used in garbage making, throwaway items like this.

Pricewise £20 is a lot when you consider that the PT Attitude and Lightwave 2000 cost "only" £24.99 in the UK, have four LEDs and battery lives which are two / four times longer. It's a gimmick for sure, but not without some curiosity value - for five minutes or so.

Anyway, let us know what you think when you get it.

dirobesh

dirobesh

Enlightened
Taken at approx. 12"

fc62b0f5.jpg

fc62b0ec.jpg

K

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
It arrived this morning. you guys were right, its rubbish as a light source, but it looks nice.

K

Kristofg

Enlightened
They are available with white leds now too. Still the same funny beam picture and a bit less bright than the blue ones, but I must confess that I like these lights. I've been carrying one around in my jacket for two years now with intermittent use and it's still as bright as when it was when I bought it. It's not the brightest flashlight out there, but it's fun to use during concerts when there's a lot of that white vapour around as this thing makes it light up for a long distance. The sides did come off from mine too, but I secured them with Glue used for building models and now it seems to stay on. I did have to repair it once as it was badly treated by airport security on a trip and I had to solder a contact from the led back on. Still, I like it for it's size and it's not that expensive at €17