Cree led vs SMD led

kevtran25

Newly Enlightened
Hello guys and gals.

I am looking for LED for my foglight because my previous hid bulb in my fogs melted the top of my reflector ( bought a aftermarket so prob cheap material). I wanna go with LED Instead of hid and halogen because I've Been informed that LED runs the coolest.

I am stuck between Cree led or SMD. I heard Cree led runs really hot? I'm pretty puzzled right now. In the end I want an 9006 led that's the brightest and coolest at the same time.

Thank you in advance for all your help

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Both "LED conversions" and "HID kits" are unsafe and illegal. None of them are a legitimate product. All of them will ruin the safety performance of your car's lights and create a safety hazard to other drivers as well as yourself. Do not buy or install any of them.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am looking for LED for my foglight because my previous hid bulb in my fogs melted the top of my reflector ( bought a aftermarket so prob cheap material).
Just be thankful it only melted, and didn't catch on fire. Would have been a shame to burn down an entire car that way.

It looks like you'll also be in the market for a new fog lamp, since a melted reflector will have a distorted beam pattern. Perhaps you should look for a quality set of fog lamps (so, nothing off the shelf at Wal-Mart, Pep Boys, or Autozone and the like) and put quality bulbs in (of the correct type, not HID or LED)-- but fog lamps are of quite limited utility anyway.

What vehicle is this, and what are the sort of driving conditions do you experience frequently?

kevtran25

Newly Enlightened
I drive a 2011 mazda 3. I live in Florida so driving conditions are fairly good with rain here and there.

My foglight is pretty useless so I'm using them just for looks. I'm looking to go with led cause they produce very little heat which I need. I just need to know if cree led or SMD produces the least heat

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
My foglight is pretty useless so I'm using them just for looks.

Stop doing that, please. It's not cool or safe.

I'm looking to go with led cause they produce very little heat which I need. I just need to know if cree led or SMD produces the least heat

Again: NO. And The lighting modifications/products you're asking about or recommending are illegal and/or unsafe. Rule 11 of this board prohibits advocating illegal or dangerous activity. You will need to stop now.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
I drive a 2011 mazda 3.
This'll help us narrow you down to some options for those times you might actually *need* a fog lamp.

My foglight is pretty useless
They typically are-- we have a good thread about that here.

so I'm using them just for looks.
Please don't. I'm sure there are plenty of people who think they "look cool", but there's nothing cool about using lights that aren't actually serving a real, useful purpose. There's especially nothing cool about using lights that can be detrimental to safety, both from creating extra glare for other drivers, and reducing your own ability to see distant objects at night.

If you MUST have a fog lamp, and it MUST be LED, then there are some excellent *rear* fog lamps that use LEDs. The same warnings about usage apply (use only when actually *needed*), but the safety improvement when they are used properly is quite real. They may save you someday when someone who's using poor fog lamps, or even good ones, but thinking they're doing something they're not, is behind you.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Yes, JWS makes some LED fog lamps, and there are some other brands now coming on the market, too.

kingofwylietx

Enlightened
In the U.S., if I were to install rear fog lights on my vehicle, can you do pairs or are you limited to only one on the driver side? We get thick fog maybe once a year at home, but I travel for work. The parts of Arkansas where I go have some pretty thick fog. I've always thought rear fogs would be a good addition.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
You can have either a single rear fog lamp or a pair of rear fog lamps. If you have a single one, it must be mounted in the space bounded by the center of the vehicle and the outer extent of the left side of the vehicle. Although there is no spacing requirement in the US, it is smart to observe the European/international requirement that the closest lit edges of the rear fog lamp and the stop (brake) lamp be separated by at least 10cm (4 inches). If the rear fog lamps are well separated from the stop lamps, the question of whether a pair of them looks like stop lamps is moot.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the rear fog lamps are well separated from the stop lamps, the question of whether a pair of them looks like stop lamps is moot.

Except for looking like a pair of stoplamps :).

Sure, they're far away from the tail lamps, as well, but would still look like a pair of stop lamps. The real stop lamps, and the CHMSL, coming on when you're actually braking may be slightly harder to register as such because the symmetry was preserved (just a new set of lights get stacked on, and the CHMSL-- which may be the "telltale" that helps register the "stop" signal).

Again, that's just my preference. I, too, would definitely follow the UN 10cm distance from the nearest lighted edges of the fog and stop lamps. At any rate, they're still providing that extra conspicuity, and the fool behind me shouldn't insist on getting too close in fog conditions warranting a rear fog lamp.

TheIntruder

Newly Enlightened
Except for looking like a pair of stoplamps :).

Sure, they're far away from the tail lamps, as well, but would still look like a pair of stop lamps. The real stop lamps, and the CHMSL, coming on when you're actually braking may be slightly harder to register as such because the symmetry was preserved (just a new set of lights get stacked on, and the CHMSL-- which may be the "telltale" that helps register the "stop" signal).

Again, that's just my preference. I, too, would definitely follow the UN 10cm distance from the nearest lighted edges of the fog and stop lamps. At any rate, they're still providing that extra conspicuity, and the fool behind me shouldn't insist on getting too close in fog conditions warranting a rear fog lamp.

I once had the misfortune of following in the wake, at length, of a driver misusing their rear fog lights on a clear night, on a dark highway. If I wanted to risk a ticket, I could have accelerated ahead and passed them, but I chose to back off, and even so, that bright beacon didn't fade out of sight for a period. At least it was an Audi, with a single lamp, and not the dual-lamped variety like a Jaguar, which make the driver look like they're riding their brakes.

To me, their misuse is worse than a poor retrofit or other modification; at least such blindings are of short duration.

I'm glad marques like BMW have chosen to exclude them from their North American imports. Otherwise, we'd also have the clowns who sought to override the switches forcing re-engagement of the front fog lights per each usage try to do the same with the rears.