cree stars @ dealextreme. how to wire them?

Turbo_E

Enlightened
ok as we all know DX is selling cree stars mounted on star boards.

now, will they drop into place like regular LUXIII stars and wire up the same way or does something need to be isolated?

i bought a pair from DX and dont want to fry em

thanks

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cree stars don't need to be isolated. You can connect them up just as you would a white Lux III star.

They mount the same way a Lux star does but there will be a difference in height so the focus of the reflector will have to be adjusted.

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find they are quite nice to work with, I have a few I picked up a on group buy that are identical to the DX stars. In the case of my DealExtreme ELLY lights, and probably a few of the other Dealextreme 1 Watt LED flashlights that use those same brand-x LEDs (as opposed to Luxeon), the focus works for the Cree out of the box, so for $5.50 + $6.75 + 2 solder joints you have a nice 1W light with fairly bright that works on AA batteries. Unfortunately the Alkalines won't draw much more current than that, so to get more brighter in an Elly, I'm considering pulling the circuits out of one of them and installing a LiIon 14500 direct-drive (with a resistance that will bring current down to about 750mA -- extra resistance is more important with lithium batteries as they don't have much internal resistance like alkalines).

chanamasala

Enlightened
Does anyone know what the WD tint is like for these? I looked at the pdf for this and couldn't understand.