Cree update for some Vintage Chrome lights (warning lots of pictures!)

Mr_Light

Enlightened
Over the last couple years I have been collecting a variety of Vintage flashlights. One thing that has bothered me about this growing collection is that most of these lights work perfectly, but just can't compete with today's lights in terms of light output. I had updated many of them with SMJLED dropins, later to be replaced by MAGLED dropins, and now with a little minor surgery Cree LEDS and Optics. One of my objectives was to update these lights without making any nonreversible alterations (these are pieces of flashlight history!). Before I forget I want to thank all of my fellow CPF members (especially Electrolumens) who have done all of the hard work of figuring out what works with what and what will be the results.

The following is a short tutorial on my latest method of updating some of my Vintage Chrome lights. I have focused on 2D (inspired by Electrolumens AngleLux) and 3D (simple direct drive) models.

Materials:

Standard 2D flashlight with removable reflector

Cree Stars (bought from DealExtreme)

Cree Optics (bought from LedLightingSupply)

Super High-Output MicroPuck 2-Cell 1W LED Drive Module 500mA (LedSupply)

1 ¼" Copper Pipe Caps (Home Depot)

Small strip of copper for battery contact (could use spring or aluminum)

Plastic tubing (rolled paper or plastic can be substituted)

Thermal Grease

#6 machine screws (#6 Tap or use nuts)

Wire, solder, packing tape

The following pictures should explain the process. I have chosen to use screws to make connections and to hold the star in place, and tape to hold the pipe cap to the tube, in order to be able to take things apart to upgrade the star or reuse pieces on other projects. The

FL02.jpg

FL05.jpg

FL08.jpg

FL09.jpg

FL10.jpg

FL11.jpg

FL15.jpg

FL16.jpg

FL17.jpg

Here are couple older flashlights I have updated. The battery connections are via screw in bulb bases with wires soldered in.

FL19.jpg

FL20.jpg

FL26.jpg

FL21.jpg

FL22.jpg

FL23.jpg

FL24.jpg

FL25.jpg

These are some more of my other vintage lights.

FL27.jpg

FL28.jpg

Mr_Light

Enlightened
I'm thinking this should be over in the custom/modified lights category? I hate to bother Sasha, can anyone else move threads (moderator)?

connortn

Newly Enlightened
Mr. Light:
Could you estimate the output in lumens of your 2D cell lights? For comparison to maybe: 2D cell Magled, L2 Fenix (non cree), River Rock 2C...etc. I'm interested in doing a similar mod to an old Winchester, Bond or Eveready (1940's) if I can find the right one in a 2C cell version. Run time would be nice also.

Thanks...

Connortn - Who's looking for a nice old 2C cell flashlight!

Last edited:

Mr_Light

Enlightened
If you checkout the postings on ElectroLumens AngleLux, you should find out all you need. The optic, Cree Star, and MicroPuck are identical so the output and runtime should be identical. A search on AngleLux should do it.

An alternative that I have put together is using the following CREE 3W Cree, Regulator, Reflector 1x18650 2xCR123A Module Set $12.50 along with a couple of 18500 Lithium rechargeables in one of my 2C Everready's. The advantage is that it includes the emitter,reflector, and converter all for one low price.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1447

connortn said:
Mr. Light:
Could you estimate the output in lumens of your 2D cell lights? For comparison to maybe: 2D cell Magled, L2 Fenix (non cree), River Rock 2C...etc. I'm interested in doing a similar mod to an old Winchester, Bond or Eveready (1940's) if I can find the right one in a 2C cell version. Run time would be nice also.

Thanks...

Connortn - Who's looking for a nice old 2C cell flashlight!

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Mr_Light said:
I'm thinking this should be over in the custom/modified lights category? I hate to bother Sasha, can anyone else move threads (moderator)?
Moved, as per your request.
I left a redirect in the previous forum, so this thread will not appear to have vanished. :thumbsup:

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Retro modding, very cool.
How did you wire up the Tri emitter shown in the pictures? Did you use a Micopuck for each emitter?
Thanks for sharing with us.

Mr_Light

Enlightened
The Tri-Cree is direct drive (not even a resistor) three in SERIES powered by 8 AA NIMH held in three 3AA to D adapters (one dummy cell). My next Tri-Cree will be three wired PARALLEL direct to 3D batteries.

Essexman said:
Retro modding, very cool.
How did you wire up the Tri emitter shown in the pictures? Did you use a Micopuck for each emitter?
Thanks for sharing with us.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting concept: Flintstones technology on the outside with Jetsons technology on the inside.

I was blinded by something similar at the LA flashapalooza. It was a 1963 Eveready with a Cree emitter.

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your lights reminded me of something, I watched Flags of our Fathers last night. When one of the characters went into a tunnel he turned on his angle head light and the beam was sickly and yellow and in the next scene it was as bright as a Surefire M3. I wondered who performed the magic.

EvrdyCptn

Newly Enlightened
Re: Cree update for some Vintage Chrome lights

It's been a couple years since this thread was originally posted, but I hope Mr. Light is still active and reads this.

I have an Eveready Captain that I've had since my father gave it to me over twenty years ago.

Is there a source you can recommend where I can purchase a replacement for the front plastic bulb cover? Mine has yellowed quite a bit and cracked.

Mr_Light

Enlightened
Re: Cree update for some Vintage Chrome lights

It's been a couple years since this thread was originally posted, but I hope Mr. Light is still active and reads this.

I have an Eveready Captain that I've had since my father gave it to me over twenty years ago.

Is there a source you can recommend where I can purchase a replacement for the front plastic bulb cover? Mine has yellowed quite a bit and cracked.
If your lens is 52mm then the following lens should work fine:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5948