XMLHallEffect.jpg

Tailcapmounteddriver.jpg

CreeXMLHeatsinkandHall.jpg

CreeXMLBuild.jpg

rodex99

Newly Enlightened
Hi,
How did you get on with this build?
I was looking to use an XML on the same DX relector, but if I were to put the star hard against the reflector the solder pads would short out. Is it OK to put an insulator between the star and reflector, or would that mean the led is not 'far enough into' the reflector? what is the best position?
Advice appreciated.
Rod

350xfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
The build came out great! Waiting on canisters now.

Make sure you use some really small wire to prevent the reflector from being too far up. I use 18 gauge and it's a bit large. I have seen manufactured lights that use REALLY small wires... Not sure what gauge though.

To prevent shorting out, buy some of that high temp tape and put it on the reflector or the LED (called KAPTON tape). You can get a roll at DX for $3.

One cool thing is that DX actually has the 52mm module available complete! A better choice for those who don't want to hassle with fabricating stuff to make the parts fit together!

mattst

Newly Enlightened
The build came out great! Waiting on canisters now.

Make sure you use some really small wire to prevent the reflector from being too far up. I use 18 gauge and it's a bit large. I have seen manufactured lights that use REALLY small wires... Not sure what gauge though.

To prevent shorting out, buy some of that high temp tape and put it on the reflector or the LED (called KAPTON tape). You can get a roll at DX for $3.

One cool thing is that DX actually has the 52mm module available complete! A better choice for those who don't want to hassle with fabricating stuff to make the parts fit together!

having trouble finding that 52mm module on dx. any chance you could post a link?

tia
matt--