Crelant 7G3CS & 7G6CS (XM-L U3, 1x18650/2xCR123A) Review: RUNTIMES, VIDEO, BEAMSHOTS+

ModernMan

Newly Enlightened
Re: Crelant 7G3CS & 7G6CS (XM-L U3, 1x18650/2xCR123A) Review: RUNTIMES, VIDEO, BEAMSH

I just picked up a 7G3CS based on your great review and my new 3400mah XTAR 18650s will not fit due to the diameter being too great. I do love the light quality and interface and I now have a decision whether to grab this or a Quark Pro QP2L when going out for a night hike.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Re: Crelant 7G3CS & 7G6CS (XM-L U3, 1x18650/2xCR123A) Review: RUNTIMES, VIDEO, BEAMSH

2600 mah Tenergies and 3400 mah Panasonics work just fine as well on the 7G6CS and 7G2CS, though I am not sure on the measurements on those. Just a question, I hear a high pitched whine coming from the tailcaps of both the 7G6 and 7G2, with any types of batteries. Is this normal?
I just picked up a 7G3CS based on your great review and my new 3400mah XTAR 18650s will not fit due to the diameter being too great. I do love the light quality and interface and I now have a decision whether to grab this or a Quark Pro QP2L when going out for a night hike.
Too bad the 3400mAh Xtars don't fit your 7G3CS - it can be an issue with smaller lights and these newer high capacity cells.

On Mag's issue of whine from the tailcap, that's a little unusual. Typically whine is inductor whine, but there should be no inductors in the tailcap. I would double-check to make sure it isn't coming from the head (which would make more sense). Maybe it could be coming from the protection circuits on the tail end of the batteries? :thinking: Anything with a coil can be subject to resonance hum/whine.

Last edited:

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast

Too bad the 3400mAh Xtars don't fit our 7G3CS - it can be an issue with smaller lights and these newer high capacity cells.

On Mag's issue of whine from the tailcap, that's a little unusual. Typically whine is inductor whine, but there should be no inductors in the tailcap. I would double-check to make sure it isn't coming from the head (which would make more sense). Maybe it could be coming from the protection circuits on the tail end of the batteries? :thinking: Anything with a coil can be subject to resonance hum/whine.

I just checked and the Xtar 3400 fits fine in my 7G3CS

Verndog

Enlightened

Just got the 7G3CS in today in NW and really like the light and UI. I'll be using this mostly in a lamp so the memory function through forward switch works fine for that. But.....I noticed a strange "feature" on the UI that I dont get and wonder if others lights do this also. If I turn on and off through the tailswitch in a short period of time, it goes on / off, 4 times (8 total clicks), then the 5th and 6th time it just flashes then goes directly off without staying on?? I can repeat this over and over so this odd behavior for some reason was programmed in...WHY?

Wait...weird! Now after playing with the tactical on it wont repeat this! It did it 4 times in a row just as I described...now not??

bietjiedof

Newly Enlightened

I can't replicate this with my 7G3CS - I can turn it on and off quickly at the tailswitch many times and it stays on when it should. I wonder if this is something to do with your battery's protection circuit?

Just got the 7G3CS in today in NW and really like the light and UI. I'll be using this mostly in a lamp so the memory function through forward switch works fine for that. But.....I noticed a strange "feature" on the UI that I dont get and wonder if others lights do this also. If I turn on and off through the tailswitch in a short period of time, it goes on / off, 4 times (8 total clicks), then the 5th and 6th time it just flashes then goes directly off without staying on?? I can repeat this over and over so this odd behavior for some reason was programmed in...WHY?

Wait...weird! Now after playing with the tactical on it wont repeat this! It did it 4 times in a row just as I described...now not??

Verndog

Enlightened

I can't replicate this with my 7G3CS - I can turn it on and off quickly at the tailswitch many times and it stays on when it should. I wonder if this is something to do with your battery's protection circuit?

I doubt it. It doesn't do it on the forward switch, and EagleTac 3100's are all 4 months or less old. No issues in any other lights either. I did notice the rear stainless ring that holds the switch in has a small gap (not seated) and is finger tight. Not sure that is normal or not...I'll use a small pin in the lanyard hole and snug it down and see if that stops it.

bietjiedof

Newly Enlightened

Ah - that might explain it. I believe the stainless ring holds the switch mechanism in place - in fact, now that you mention it, mine came loose and I had some unexplained behaviour. I just tightened it with my fingers and it's been fine since...

I doubt it. It doesn't do it on the forward switch, and EagleTac 3100's are all 4 months or less old. No issues in any other lights either. I did notice the rear stainless ring that holds the switch in has a small gap (not seated) and is finger tight. Not sure that is normal or not...I'll use a small pin in the lanyard hole and snug it down and see if that stops it.

Verndog

Enlightened

Ah - that might explain it. I believe the stainless ring holds the switch mechanism in place - in fact, now that you mention it, mine came loose and I had some unexplained behaviour. I just tightened it with my fingers and it's been fine since...

After tightening down the stainless tail ring a bit more, I cannot get it to repeat the funny business. I'll keep and eye on it. Really like the light for what I use it for. Only small gripe is I see a thin band of light about 1 foot outside of the spill beam. It was a bit distracting outside when real dark, but I'm using this more for closeup with diffuser and it's excellent for how I'm using it. Nice tint, size, switch feedback...all good IMO.

bietjiedof

Newly Enlightened

After tightening down the stainless tail ring a bit more, I cannot get it to repeat the funny business. I'll keep and eye on it. Really like the light for what I use it for. Only small gripe is I see a thin band of light about 1 foot outside of the spill beam. It was a bit distracting outside when real dark, but I'm using this more for closeup with diffuser and it's excellent for how I'm using it. Nice tint, size, switch feedback...all good IMO.
I don't have the thin band of light - but I have the neutral white (T6) emitter - maybe that's the difference? I really like mine, too. The hotspot isn't as big as my Fenix PD32 UE, but I prefer the user interface on the Crelant, and the fact that it can tailstand.

Verndog

Enlightened

I don't have the thin band of light - but I have the neutral white (T6) emitter - maybe that's the difference? I really like mine, too. The hotspot isn't as big as my Fenix PD32 UE, but I prefer the user interface on the Crelant, and the fact that it can tailstand.

Mine is a NW as well. Looks like the band is the result of the stainless steel bezel and deep setback. It's not all that noticeable really.

Does anyone know the output and runtime of the "low" level that it goes to before ramping (2nd click)? I don't see this anywhere, I'm guessing around 40-60 lumens?

Hey....cool....just noticed something! You can set 2 different modes to (temp) memory by press and hold off of high to set upper mode, then press and hold off of low to set lower mode. I only thought it would remember the lower ramp.

Last edited:

gkbain

Newly Enlightened

Just tried to buy the 7g6cs from the Crelant store.com and the cheapest shipping was $3000 USD. I don't guess I will get it by xmas.

dolphinV

Newly Enlightened

Just tried to buy the 7g6cs from the Crelant store.com and the cheapest shipping was $3000 USD. I don't guess I will get it by xmas.

I met this case before, they told me that it was because that model out of stock. They through changing the weight to prevent people to place an order. The weight will be back correct once new stock comes.

gkbain

Newly Enlightened

I was going to get a 7G6CS but got a V6CS instead. It is a very similar light with similar output. I wanted to know what the stand by drain was to ease my mind. It is a little tricky to do but I did get it measured. With my not to expensive DMM I read 70uA. This sounds reasonable and inline with other lights with electronic switches. My mind is eased and stand by drain should not be much of an issue. I would think the 7G6CS drain would be close.

Latest posts