Crelant 7G5CS (XM-L U3, 2x18650/4xCR123A) Review: RUNTIMES, VIDEO, BEAMSHOTS + more!

Fliz

Newly Enlightened
Excellent review :)
I just got this flashlight, today and was playing with it and already need a bit help :shrug:
I used Sony unprotected 18650 batteries that I salvaged from notebook bat.pack but after couple of minutes on high mode flashlight just
blinked couple of times (5-7 or so) and powered off. Selfbuilt described this at the end of his review as a "limited low voltage warning", but in
my case that happens rather quickly! I dont know in what condition are these batteries, they were on 4,05V when I started the test, worked
for about 40 seconds, then series of flashes, another 10 seconds of working and then powered off. I measured battery voltages and it was about 3,86V!!!
Any ideas how can I get longer runtime in high mode, maybe using better batteries like NCR18650A or NCR18650B?

Thanks

Update: I think I figured it out, this flashlight requires good quality batteries, I tested with NCR18650A, freshly ordered, not even charged once,
they were at 3,60V, after 5 minutes of working with no problems and no low voltage warnings I stopped the test, measured batteries again: 3,56V
Previously, unprotected Sony's droped from 4,06V to 3,85V in matter of seconds (~70 seconds)...

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I used Sony unprotected 18650 batteries that I salvaged from notebook bat.pack but after couple of minutes on high mode flashlight just blinked couple of times (5-7 or so) and powered off....
Update: I think I figured it out, this flashlight requires good quality batteries,
Yes, and that's true of a lot of lights that use 1x18650. Old notebook pulls are typically in pretty dubious shape, given the slow cooking they often experience (by the time they get pulled). Even if the voltages seem ok, they can frequently have issues under higher current drains (like in a single 18650 light). Always best to stick with quality new cells. :)

damaster698

Newly Enlightened
I am wondering, I bought this exact light off dx.com and threw in the some protected Panasonic's 2900mAh goo quality cells. My unit that I received seems very underpowered compared to the beam shots you are posting. Is there a way I can test this light to determine if I received a bad unit? I am almost 100% sure mine is far weaker than what it is supposed to be.. any help would be great I was looking forward to getting this light in.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
There were some clones reported IIRC, you may have gotten one instead of the real one. Can you shoot a close up of the LED?

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I am wondering, I bought this exact light off dx.com and threw in the some protected Panasonic's 2900mAh goo quality cells. My unit that I received seems very underpowered compared to the beam shots you are posting. Is there a way I can test this light to determine if I received a bad unit? I am almost 100% sure mine is far weaker than what it is supposed to be.. any help would be great I was looking forward to getting this light in.
Do you have any other lights to compare the output to? Does the light perform as expected in terms of modes, ramping time, etc.? It's hard to say more without some sort of direct comparison.

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast

It is possible you received a bad one, return it and request an exchange.

Fliz

Newly Enlightened
I wanted to order exactly the same flashlight from DX (7G2CS also) but I ended up ordering UltraFire C20 (copy of Crelant 7G3CS) instead...
Have you received 7G5CS in genuine Crelant box? there is no package pictured in DX product page!

P.S. I got my 7G5CS from HKE and i am very satisfied, throws like a sniper :p

Last edited:

damaster698

Newly Enlightened
I wanted to order exactly the same flashlight from DX (7G2CS also) but I ended up ordering UltraFire C20 (copy of Crelant 7G3CS) instead...
Have you received 7G5CS in genuine Crelant box? there is no package pictured in DX product page!

P.S. I got my 7G5CS from HKE and i am very satisfied, throws like a sniper :p

I received my Crelant 7g5cs from DX in a genuine Crelant package. I think I just got a bad sample, will be returning it to dx for an exchange.

Fliz

Newly Enlightened
If you can, take a couple of pictures, beamshots for comparison, later when you receive replacement.

damaster698

Newly Enlightened
If you can, take a couple of pictures, beamshots for comparison, later when you receive replacement.

Will do I will post before and after photos when I get the new unit. I'm excited to see how this light really performs, with the one I have now the hotspot has a defined circle which is a tad brighter than the spill around that hotspot, then it continues out to the regular spill. So if you can picture it I have 2 different brightness for hotspot, then it goes out to even spill. Kind of weird.. I dont think this is normal

Pssymon

Newly Enlightened
I want to warn people who are thinking about ordering this light. If you order a Crelant 7G5CS now there is a good chance you will recieve the updated version. This means you essentially get a 7G5MT with a different led and reflector, and 7G5CS printed on it instead of 7G5MT. This becomes a problem when you want to use the Crelant Collimator head with it, which is stated everywhere to work with the 7G5CS. Because the new body has square cut threads, it is not compatible with the collimator head which has triangular cut threads.

Last edited:

Fliz

Newly Enlightened
There are 2 models 7G5CS with XML2 and 7G5MT with MTG2 emitter, do you want to say that the body is the same for this 2 models?

Pssymon

Newly Enlightened
That is exactly what I'm saying. I definitely ordered a 7G5CS, the box says 7G5CS, the type printed on the flashlight itself says 7G5CS, the reflector is smooth (7G5MT does not have this) and it has an XML2 Led. What I'm saying is, when you order this light, check thoroughly with your seller if it has the same body as the one shown in this review or you will not be able to use a collimator head.
It may very well be that you can't even order the type shown in this thread anymore.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
That is exactly what I'm saying. ... It may very well be that you can't even order the type shown in this thread anymore.
Interesting, thanks for sharing your experience (and :welcome:).

I did note in my 7G5MT review that the collimator doesn't fit on that body, due to the change in threading. If that build design has been carried back to the currently shipping 7G5CS, then you will indeed not be able to use the current collimators.

Pssymon

Newly Enlightened
Thought I'd let you guys know that I got it to work :D

4il4.jpg
7rsh.jpg
ea80.jpg

But I wouldn't really recommend it, it took an hour of machining before it would fit.