Crossbow- any reccomendations

mrichelo

Newly Enlightened
I need to purchase a crossbow.

I am a sound FX editor and I'm working on a video game. I need a crossbow to record the sounds. I suppose it needs to be a full size one. I don't think the little pistol size ones would do the trick. We need to record ALOT of crossbow sounds.

Anyone know anything about crossbows? Any reccomendations for a reasonably priced one? Or point me in the right direction?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark

cy

Flashaholic
I've got a Horton Legend SL crossbow. it's deadly accurate out past 45 yards. fitted with a scope, aiming is close to a rifle.

for what you need a lower end crossbow will do fine. mine sells for aprox. $550 at the local bow shop.

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Never heard a crossbow in action, so I don't know what differerences in sound there might be between simple pistol ones and the large compound types-
sportsmansguide.com has a whole slew of crossbows to look at, maybe start there.
I'd figure if you just want to get a twang sound, the single string ones might actually do better. Or are you looking to record the thwap! sound of it hitting the target?

mrichelo

Newly Enlightened
Winger,

D. All of the above. We need to record every sound a crossbow makes. cocking, twang, bolt impacts on target. What we call a "series."

We'll sweeten the sounds when we cut them to "picture." But we need specific, realisitic sounds.

I will check out Sportman's Guide. I've seen their site, I get their catalogs, it just didn't occur to me to check there. Thanks!!!

Cy, yeah $550 is a bit much for a crossbow we're gonna use for one day. Maybe we'll post it in B/S/T when we're done. :)

Thanks for your help!

Mark

Dirty Bob

Newly Enlightened
If you visit some archery forums, perhaps you could find someone locally who'd let you record the sounds of a crossbow. Seems like there'd have to be some crossbow shooters in NJ!

Regards,
Dirty Bob

gorn

Enlightened
I've had a crossbow since the 60's. You want to find a wooden one to get the sounds you want. The new aluminum and composite ones just don't sound the same. Or you could buy a copy of Worlds of Warcraft and listen to the crossbow sounds it uses. The creaking is very authentic.