Cupronickel flashlight

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anybody used Cupronickel in a flashlight?

Cupronickel
info from WikiPedia

"Cupronickel is an alloy of copper, nickel and strengthening impurities, such as iron and manganese. Cupronickel does not corrode in seawater, because its electrode potential is adjusted to be neutral with regard to seawater. Because of this it is used for marine hardware, and sometimes for the propellers, crankshafts and hulls of premium tugboats, fishing boats and other working boats.

The most ubiquitous use, from the point of view of the average person, is that most of the silver-coloured modern circulation coins are cupronickel. A typical mix is 75% copper, 25% nickel, and a trace amount of manganese. In the past true silver coins were debased with cupronickel."

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Boat propellers brak pretty easy if they hit a object,not just when in motion but easily brakes if dropped.
My propellers anyway...:lolsign:

This material is molded i think and not machined.

Benny

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
Original equipment boat propellers are usually made of die-cast aluminum which is brittle, but also has redeeming qualities. Cupronickel is about 75% copper, so I think it would be more likely to bend than brake.

MorpheusT1 said:
Boat propellers brak pretty easy if they hit a object,not just when in motion but easily brakes if dropped.
My propellers anyway...:lolsign:

This material is molded i think and not machined.

Benny

AlecGold

Enlightened
mhmm, also cupro can break without to much problems.
But cupro is a bit soft. I know Orb used nickle chrome steel and it works like a charm! it is a bit more hefty than alu, but it works well. easily machineable and corrosion proof.
If you need to survive in seawater, use a Titanium light. Lighter, stronger and most certainly resistant to corrosion!

highorder

Enlightened
another application of cupronickel is bullet jackets, mostly from former warsaw pact armories.

Last edited: