Current Powerball $

KDM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: $558,000,000

I'll just blame it on my wife, yeah she made me buy them. Now I feel better.

Me+Light=Addiction

Enlightened

Are you serious me+?

It was a shot at humor. Chance is a funny guy who probably works harder than most to ensure his witty quips are not in the least bit insulting...cept to maybe those with skin so thin they think he meant them personally.

I don't play because I travel a lot and see lots n lots of poor people with holes in their shoes scratching tickets or buying powerball in hopes they'll suddenly have no more troubles... I can't support that sorta thing. But that's just me.

They are the ones Chance was speaking of...the ones who think they won 1.5 billion or maybe $40 grand etc.. unknowing when the lottery and the government get done fleecing them they end up with about 30%...assuming they win...

But if folks want to play...have at it.

Yes i'm serious.

I don't play in any lottery myself so I don't feel personally attacked. "It was a shot at humor" No it was not. Don't try to "explain" comments like that as humor. Seriously, how is this "Lotteries are a tax on the mathematically challenged. A quick look at the Powerball website tells you the probability of winning the jackpot is 1 in 292,201,338.00." a shot at humor. Please feel free to explain.
"Chance is a funny guy who probably works harder than most to ensure his witty quips are not in the least bit insulting...cept to maybe those with skin so thin they think he meant them personally." Again, I don't see the correlation between his statement and humor. I in no way, shap or form see how his comments were meant as humor.
"I don't play because I travel a lot and see lots n lots of poor people with holes in their shoes scratching tickets or buying powerball in hopes they'll suddenly have no more troubles... I can't support that sorta thing. But that's just me." That's not just you, hence why I said "However if you don't go mad and spend money you needed to use on something better (like food or clothes or shelter) there is nothing wrong with entering a lottery."

Me+Light=Addiction

Enlightened

Yes instead of actually going deeper into my comment, maybe coming up with arguments why my point of view could be wrong, something adults do when they have a conversation/discussion you come up with some pathetic response like that. Very mature. For your information these are quotation marks " " and they work fine for quoting sentences.

dc38

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the east coast of the yoosah. In the place wher

Yes i'm serious.

I don't play in any lottery myself so I don't feel personally attacked. "It was a shot at humor" No it was not. Don't try to "explain" comments like that as humor. Seriously, how is this "Lotteries are a tax on the mathematically challenged. A quick look at the Powerball website tells you the probability of winning the jackpot is 1 in 292,201,338.00." a shot at humor. Please feel free to explain.
"Chance is a funny guy who probably works harder than most to ensure his witty quips are not in the least bit insulting...cept to maybe those with skin so thin they think he meant them personally." Again, I don't see the correlation between his statement and humor. I in no way, shap or form see how his comments were meant as humor.
"I don't play because I travel a lot and see lots n lots of poor people with holes in their shoes scratching tickets or buying powerball in hopes they'll suddenly have no more troubles... I can't support that sorta thing. But that's just me." That's not just you, hence why I said "However if you don't go mad and spend money you needed to use on something better (like food or clothes or shelter) there is nothing wrong with entering a lottery."

The powerball " likelihood of winning" is a mathematical lie. It is not sequential.

nbp

Flashaholic
Re: $.95 Billion

Y'all gotta let it go. I'm proud of the fact that the A&Q forum had needed almost no moderation up this point. I'd really like to keep it that way. Some people act like a post on the internet is akin to someone slapping their mother. Let it go.

We've probably all read or heard an expression such as, It was a one in a million shot, I tell ya! Or, The odds were against him. It was a million to one he'd succeed. Thoes sayings have always been common and they've always meant the chance of something happening was not bloody likely!

Fastforward to Lotto-Think and we now have millions of people actually believing 1 in 292,201,338 is a "small" chance, but still a possibility. Yeah, it could happen, and monkeys could fly out of my butt. But probably not.

~ Chance

Me+Light=Addiction

Enlightened

We've probably all read or heard an expression such as, It was a one in a million shot, I tell ya! Or, The odds were against him. It was a million to one he'd succeed. Thoes sayings have always been common and they've always meant the chance of something happening was not bloody likely!

Fastforward to Lotto-Think and we now have millions of people actually believing 1 in 292,201,338 is a "small" chance, but still a possibility. Yeah, it could happen, and monkeys could fly out of my butt. But probably not.

~ Chance

If were talking about being mathematically challenged then your equation comes pretty close.
I've never heard of a monkey flying out of someone's ***, i've heard of people winning the lottery. Besides the 1 in 292,201,338 chance are the powerball numbers, there are many more lotteries and many more different prices and thus different odds of winning. Furthermore the actual odds of winning are not what I commented on, I commented on the being mathemetically challenged part, which was later qualified as humor... I'll just leave it at me not understanding the humor of your comments :shrug:

Me+Light=Addiction

Enlightened

Y'all gotta let it go. I'm proud of the fact that the A&Q forum had needed almost no moderation up this point. I'd really like to keep it that way. Some people act like a post on the internet is akin to someone slapping their mother. Let it go.

To be fair I don't see the need for moderation in this thread at this point. I don't think any outrages comments has been made. I was irritated by Chance's comment and response to my comment and felt the need to respond to that. I know a comment on the internet is "just a comment on the internet" but I don't see why there is no room for a small discussion if you disagree with someone's post. If it would drag out for pages then yes, it would go too far. But at this point I don't see the necessity for you to step in and moderate things.

That said, i'll refrain from commenting any further in this thread.

nbp

Flashaholic

The OP asked about what adventures you would take on if you won the money, and it was a fun and lighthearted discussion. Let's get back to that topic rather than whether it makes good fiscal sense to buy lottery tickets, and then everyone can enjoy commenting as freely as they wish. :)

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast

NBP,

Since three tickets matched all of the numbers and it took 18-20 drawing dates to get up to stratospheric money, I'll save my shekels until next time.

As the Lottery always says, "You've got to play to win".

PS, no food or rent money was involved in this game of .......~ Chance.

bykfixer

Flashaholic

NBP,

Since three tickets matched all of the numbers and it took 18-20 drawing dates to get up to stratospheric money, I'll save my shekels until next time.

As the Lottery always says, "You've got to play to win".

PS, no food or rent money was involved in this game of .......~ Chance.
^^ lemmee guess...no pun intended?

I hope one was that fella who just joined and his "hello" thread said he was from commiefornia...that would be cool.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast

^^ lemmee guess...no pun intended?

I hope one was that fella who just joined and his "hello" thread said he was from commiefornia...that would be cool.
That would be cool as California was one of four states listed that don't tax lottery winnings. Then again, there's always a first when they see how much money they're losing.

I worked with a guy years back when the state lottery was first started hit for three times in two years. Back then the lottery only paid $500k, then $1 million dollars. Long before the Mega Millions and Power Ball.

bykfixer

Flashaholic

Yep...used to be we'd say 'heck yeah, half million and I'm straight'..now it's "pffft I aint puttin' out $2 on no lottery ticket for $4 million"...

I just thought it humorous the guy calls his home state commifornia...