Currently highest CRI LED chip?

Anders Hoveland

Enlightened
Check out the type of combined spectrum that multiple LED frequencies can provide:
http://www.layersoflight.com/Desire/Desire-Detail--Quality-of-Light

It is like a RGB LED but with 7 different frequencies. The color combination is adjustable also. I am not sure how the efficiency is affected when it is shifted to a higher correlated color temperature, however. Two of the blue frequency LEDs have excellent efficiencies, but I am not sure about some of the other frequencies towards the blue end.

pcspinheiro

Newly Enlightened
Hi everybody,

I've been following with interest all the discussions I can find about high CRI LEDs but, unfortunately, I'm yet to find an answer to my problem... My house is now mostly running on LEDs but the cheap kind from chinese ebay sellers. The biggest downsides to these are the low CRI (make the skin look pale) and inconsistent color between buys, the failure rate has been quite low and the sellers have replaced the units anyway. They all use the very common 1W beads and I have considered several times to just exchange them with better ones, it's an easy operation. The problem has always been where to find them! I almost bought a batch of 100 from a chinese manufacturer listed on alibaba, which claimed they could easily make them with 85+ CRI, but they insisted on having them shipped by UPS so the shipping costs were doubling the price of the order (and also getting me into trouble with customs) and the deal fell apart. Does anyone know where these beads, with a CRI of at least 85 can be bought?

Thanks in advance and Happy New Year!

Nil Einne

Newly Enlightened
I was further researching highish CRI (min 80) highish CCT (5000K minimum) LEDs a while ago starting with this http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?252922-High-CRI-LED-List thread and other searches but never completed my research so never posted. It's probably partially outdated now. It seems Cree now have some that fit, the XB-D and XT-E are available up to 6200K with 80 CRI minimum if I'm reading the data sheets correctly. (I'm presuming they actually have bins something like that.) Still no higher CRI for this colour temperature or for their others like XM-L Easy White, XP-G2, XP-E etc, they generally only go up to 4300K for both of those sort of things.

It seems most or all highish CRI, highish CCT LEDs are remote phosphor or similar design like the XB-D or XT-E.

SemiMan

Banned
Hi everybody,

I've been following with interest all the discussions I can find about high CRI LEDs but, unfortunately, I'm yet to find an answer to my problem... My house is now mostly running on LEDs but the cheap kind from chinese ebay sellers. The biggest downsides to these are the low CRI (make the skin look pale) and inconsistent color between buys, the failure rate has been quite low and the sellers have replaced the units anyway. They all use the very common 1W beads and I have considered several times to just exchange them with better ones, it's an easy operation. The problem has always been where to find them! I almost bought a batch of 100 from a chinese manufacturer listed on alibaba, which claimed they could easily make them with 85+ CRI, but they insisted on having them shipped by UPS so the shipping costs were doubling the price of the order (and also getting me into trouble with customs) and the deal fell apart. Does anyone know where these beads, with a CRI of at least 85 can be bought?

Thanks in advance and Happy New Year!

Where are you located? Many of those Chinese supplier play it real loose with safety testing whether they say they have UL, TUV, etc. or not, more often than not they do not. 100 lights is a lot of failure points. The reason for the uPS is likely the value of the shipment ... they want it tracked so they know you go it and vice versa.

Issue is not just CRI though, but color matching. Normally the higher CRI LEDs are better matched, but that is not a guarantee.

What color temp?

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the tint of the Nichia 219s, and they're cheap to boot! I just picked up 5 for less than $20 for modding a few lights. I like my old style 5B XR, with its warm, almost rose hue, but this is a clean white, it's become my new everyday LED.

anuragwap

Newly Enlightened
I just picked up 5 for less than $20 for modding a few lights.

Didn't know Craig had dropped the prices for these! I bought only 4 about a year ago, and really loved the CCT/overall color rendering. Guess its time to get some more!

Last edited:

Esko

Enlightened
Plenty of LEDs in high CRI that can compete with incans. Warmwhite is easy.

Warm white is easy, because Cri is actually not about the exact reproduction of colors to naked eye. It is about the exact reproduction of colors compared to a standard light source. In warm white, the comparison light source is light bulb.

Here is the spectrum graph of the Phillips L-prize LED bulb, with a CRI of 92 at 2700K CCT:

Hotlink Deleted

See that valley between the blue spike and the yellow-green hump?

The valley doesn't matter that much, because a 2700K light bulb doesn't emit much cyan-green either. It mainly has just red and yellow.

A typical spectrum of a light bulb:

Hotlink Deleted

As you can see, the led emits more blue than a light bulb. Let me ask an interesting question. Which light source reproduces the blue colors better? A 100 cri light bulb, or a 92 cri led?

See Rule #3 Do not Hot Link images. Please host on an image site, Imageshack or similar and repost – Thanks Norm

Last edited by a moderator:

pcspinheiro

Newly Enlightened
Where are you located? Many of those Chinese supplier play it real loose with safety testing whether they say they have UL, TUV, etc. or not, more often than not they do not. 100 lights is a lot of failure points. The reason for the uPS is likely the value of the shipment ... they want it tracked so they know you go it and vice versa.

Issue is not just CRI though, but color matching. Normally the higher CRI LEDs are better matched, but that is not a guarantee.

What color temp?

Hi and thanks for your answer! I'm located in Denmark, currently. I may move back to Portugal, my home country, within the year. I would like to have 2700-3000K max. The one I have say 3500K but they have a very white tint already, not to mention awful color rendering, like cheap white fluorescent tubes (one does learn to ignore it to some extent but there are those days where I really want to change them...). The type of chip, if the moderator will allow the link, is this

http://ggld.en.alibaba.com/viewimg/...4345/High_Power_1W_Epistar_LED_Bead_Diode.jpg

They have a typical Vforward of 3.4V and current of 350 mA.

I would really appreciate help finding better ones to replace in all my lamps, same or similar. I'm half good with a soldering iron and at improvising so if it's something not exactly the same but with the same characteristics maybe that will do as well.

Cheers,
Paulo.

Marcturus

Enlightened
I'm located in Denmark, currently. I may move back to Portugal, my home country, within the year. I would like to have 2700-3000K max. The one I have say 3500K but they have a very white tint already, not to mention awful color rendering.
The 4000K Oslon CC's looked plenty warm to me already, so I wouldn't really recommend 2700K ones for latitudes like Portugal, but it's your choice. Even though the tint seemed acceptably consistent, brightness can vary discernibly from one emitter to the next, and the package is much smaller than the Seoul P4, it's tiny like an XP-E. Note that the ones in this link are 80 degree types:
http://www.led-tech.de/en/High-Power-LEDs-Osram/Osram-Oslon--SSL-c_206_207.html

pcspinheiro

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the suggestions guys! But looking at the prices I would be better off buying proper quality lamps instead of tinkering with my cheap ones... At over 4€ each that means over 20€/5W GU10 lamp! Way too expensive... Even the cheaper Oslon still come to 15€/5W lamp... Maybe I will buy a few for some key places in the house...

If someone has any more (cheaper) ideas I'm listening.

Best wishes!

Paulo.

Last edited:

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
is it bad for the eyes then having a 75 CRI rather than the HCRi at like 90+?

i have the pd32ue at 75cri. is that acceptable for eyes, really?.
thanks.

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
is it bad for the eyes then having a 75 CRI rather than the HCRi at like 90+?

i have the pd32ue at 75cri. is that acceptable for eyes, really?.
thanks.

Well probably not, unless it's your only room/celing light?
Everything just looks better and more importantly "correct" when you use a 90+ CRI led. The colors just pop. It's like comparing a 10 year old lcd monitor/TV to a new one.

I think the LED with the highest CRI currently on the market is the Luminus SBT-70. The tungesten white high-cri version has a typical CRI of 95!! The JA-Bin produces only 900-970 Lumens at 10.5A meaning that the led is incredibly inefficient.

Last edited:

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
hi thanks for this stuff,
so the next nearest is a Nichia 219?. 90+HCRI. ?.
would you notice the difference using a pd32ue, and say something with a HCRI in it, really?.

also is that
Luminus SBT-70 LED in any flashlights now?.

thanks again.

Well probably not, unless it's your only room/celing light?
Everything just looks better and more importantly "correct" when you use a 90+ CRI led. The colors just pop. It's like comparing a 10 year old lcd monitor/TV to a new one.

I think the LED with the highest CRI currently on the markte is the Luminus SBT-70. The tungesten white high-cri version has a typical CRI of 95!! The JA-Bin produces only 900-970 Lumens at 10.5A meaning that the led is incredibly inefficient.

jh333233

Flashlight Enthusiast
It could be reasonable for H-CRI to be inefficient since lower proportion of output falls in the green region (400-600nm something) and higher in red region
But then the better tint compensates it, lumen/watt doesnt means everything, its an illusion of "inefficient"
Let say tho cool-white is very efficient with a greenish blue tint, on the other side it doesnt light thing up as good as H-CRI if talking about color rendering
Fair trade.

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
hi thats true, thanks.
i mean, i see well ok enough with my pd32ue, but does it being 75cri have a bad effect on eyes compared to say a 90+ HCRI ?
can our eyes work out regardless of it being 75CRI. how low does CRI have to be before its a bad thing, if there is something like that.

thanks

It could be reasonable for H-CRI to be inefficient since lower proportion of output falls in the green region (400-600nm something) and higher in red region
But then the better tint compensates it, lumen/watt doesnt means everything, its an illusion of "inefficient"
Let say tho cool-white is very efficient with a greenish blue tint, on the other side it doesnt light thing up as good as H-CRI if talking about color rendering
Fair trade.

CuriousOne

Enlightened
Well, these High CRI leds do exists. But who sells them?

For example, bridgelux refers to digikey and mouser. None of them stock any High CRI led from bridgelux.
Generally, High CRI leds are hard to buy, mouser only stocks some phased out SSCs...

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
slight kinda hijack, - as nichia is also classed as that not efficient, ..between the MCE LED and Nichia HCRI at both 4000k, what would you take ?.
mce 75cri, the nichia 90 something cri.
thanks.

anuragwap

Newly Enlightened
I too have a tangential question here, I've been tempted to buy 85 CRI neutral white rebels(LXM3-PW51) selling only for $0.75 at LEDSupply. Anyone knows how R9 of 85CRI neutral white LEDs compare to 'good' neutral white CFLs/T8/T12 like TCP/Philips/GE/Sylvania?

I'm not at all concerned about the cyan valley of the LEDs since I don't have many cyan colored things/clothes in my house. I only want to make skin colors look redder while staying neutral white. By looking at the spectra and human skin reflectance curves, I've a hunch that those CFLs might have a slight edge in this respect.

Last edited: