Custom Light Designers

CaptCarrot

Newly Enlightened
I have an idea for a custom light - but I have no contacts, no experience, no expertise, no materials and no finances to enter anything into production.

Who would be the best members to talk to with regards to the idea and it's viability.

If they are interested, then maybe they can take the idea and run with it.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, what is it? There's a chance it already exists. Flashlights are like that. :)

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting offer. My guess is it may depend on the complexity & viability of the design. Some builders here can barely keep up with demand on their current product offerings. Unless yours is ground breaking, and it may be, they may not be too interested.

If you are willing to put your intellectual ideas out there for anyone to take and run, perhaps just dump them in a something like a "Open Source Build Thread"? That way you could take pride in the design, and they could take profits in the build. :)

Just my ideas. It will be neat to watch and see. Cheers.

CaptCarrot

Newly Enlightened
Well, what is it? There's a chance it already exists. Flashlights are like that. :)

There is a possibility, but I haven't come across it yet ;)

Interesting offer. My guess is it may depend on the complexity & viability of the design. Some builders here can barely keep up with demand on their current product offerings. Unless yours is ground breaking, and it may be, they may not be too interested.

If you are willing to put your intellectual ideas out there for anyone to take and run, perhaps just dump them in a something like a "Open Source Build Thread"? That way you could take pride in the design, and they could take profits in the build. :)

Just my ideas. It will be neat to watch and see. Cheers.

Fair point, well made.

I'm happy to give the idea to someone, but not entirely sure I'm ready to put it in an open source thread just yet...

I'll give that some more consideration.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is a possibility, but I haven't come across it yet ;)
I thought the Noctigon M43 didn't exist... until I bought one! :)

There's quite a bit of custom stuff hiding in the shadows here. For all I know, I already have one. :)

There's folks here who can get a light made and know folks who do. The thing is, there's different specialties.

Some guys work on monster output, some guys work one-off uniques, some guys do art flashlights. Hard to direct you to the right place without knowing at least a little more of what you're after.

One guy here gold plates flashlights, one specializes in heat treated rainbow titanium.

Last edited:

CaptCarrot

Newly Enlightened
I thought the Noctigon M43 didn't exist... until I bought one! :)

There's quite a bit of custom stuff hiding in the shadows here. For all I know, I already have one. :)

There's folks here who can get a light made and know folks who do. The thing is, there's different specialties.

Some guys work on monster output, some guys work one-off uniques, some guys do art flashlights. Hard to direct you to the right place without knowing at least a little more of what you're after.

One guy here gold plates flashlights, one specializes in heat treated rainbow titanium.

Another fair point.

I'm not overly fussed on material - we all want unobtainium, but I am focussing primarily on usefulness. I have one primary idea and need some direction on the rest of it (UI etc...).

But it will be a scratch build not a modification.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not overly fussed on material - we all want unobtainium, but I am focussing primarily on usefulness. I have one primary idea and need some direction on the rest of it (UI etc...).
Would you pitch a kickstarter? Can't do that without a working prototype. Did you want to sell 1000 of them?
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...5-Designing-an-LED-flashlight-for-Kickstarter

Did you just want a few for yourself and sell a few here and there, but not devote all your time to it?
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?409590-Micro-ATL-G5-and-G5-eX-preview

But it will be a scratch build not a modification.
Like this?
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...Log-The-1-5V-Project&highlight=1.5v+build+log

Did you want to start a big collaboration spewing awesomeness out into the Universe?
http://www.oveready.com/

The links I've linked are kinda busy with their own irons in the fire, not sure they have room on their plates.

See, we can help. More info would help us help you.

CaptCarrot

Newly Enlightened
Would you pitch a kickstarter? Can't do that without a working prototype. Did you want to sell 1000 of them?
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...5-Designing-an-LED-flashlight-for-Kickstarter
While I would love to create the next best thing and make my millions, that isn't going to happen :(. Although I would be really happy if my idea became really popular.

Did you just want a few for yourself and sell a few here and there, but not devote all your time to it?
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?409590-Micro-ATL-G5-and-G5-eX-preview
To be fair, that would be more like it. I love getting my hands dirty, BUT, this is an alien area to me. Also I lack time due to real life :(.

A little bit I suppose.

Did you want to start a big collaboration spewing awesomeness out into the Universe?
http://www.oveready.com/
I definitely want to spew awesomeness - whether or not I do though is another matter.

The links I've linked are kinda busy with their own irons in the fire, not sure they have room on their plates.

See, we can help. More info would help us help you.

Lets see what I can do on that.

OK, it looks like I am going to have to spill the beams (I meant to type beans - but the typo seems appropriate ;)).

My idea is still in it's infancy so there is a lot to iron out.

My idea comes from my search for a Pocket Vehicle Inspection Lamp", and nostalgia for the old MagiCube flash cubes.

So the basics...

• It will be a 90o​ Angle Lamp with a high CRI and a daylight tint.
  • it will be palm sized
  • It will have the choice of 2 LED's in an Either/Or but not Both setup (I would love 3, but I don't think there would be spec in the head and 2 is pushing it).
    • One LED will be a mule for a flood beam and close up work.
    • The other LED will be a tight spot, with little spill for distance work.
    • If 3 LED's are possible, then the 3rd will be the inbetweener ot the other 2.
    • Changing flood to throw LED is done by twisting the head through 180o​.
  • It will have a reversible belt/pocket clip.
  • It could have a headband.
  • It could have some form of rare earth magnet for attaching it to metal surfaces;
    • maybe the belt clip.
  • It could be able to tail stand.
  • It will have a clicky on/mode/off switch.
  • It will have (and start off in) a sub lumen candle mode.
  • It will have at least one more mode with medium and high possibilities.
  • It will be rechargeable via USB
  • It will also be rechargeable by car 12v cigarette lighter, the base of the light should just slot in without fuss.
  • The longer the battery life the better, but it shouldn't be massive (single cell, dual at a push).

This probably won't happen, but if you don't ask you don't get.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, it looks like I am going to have to spill the beams (I meant to type beans - but the typo seems appropriate ;)).

My idea is still in it's infancy so there is a lot to iron out.

My idea comes from my search for a Pocket Vehicle Inspection Lamp", and nostalgia for the old MagiCube flash cubes.

So the basics...

• It will be a 90o​ Angle Lamp with a high CRI and a daylight tint.
  • it will be palm sized
  • It will have the choice of 2 LED's in an Either/Or but not Both setup (I would love 3, but I don't think there would be spec in the head and 2 is pushing it).
    • One LED will be a mule for a flood beam and close up work.
    • The other LED will be a tight spot, with little spill for distance work.
    • If 3 LED's are possible, then the 3rd will be the inbetweener ot the other 2.
    • Changing flood to throw LED is done by twisting the head through 180o​.
  • It will have a reversible belt/pocket clip.
  • It could have a headband.
  • It could have some form of rare earth magnet for attaching it to metal surfaces;
    • maybe the belt clip.
  • It could be able to tail stand.
  • It will have a clicky on/mode/off switch.
  • It will have (and start off in) a sub lumen candle mode.
  • It will have at least one more mode with medium and high possibilities.
  • It will be rechargeable via USB
  • It will also be rechargeable by car 12v cigarette lighter, the base of the light should just slot in without fuss.
  • The longer the battery life the better, but it shouldn't be massive (single cell, dual at a push).

This probably won't happen, but if you don't ask you don't get.

Ahh, so slightly like this kinda not quite but close:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...in-a-small-35mm-cube&highlight=usb+cube+light

Relio is bateryless, running from USB tether. Not quite what you're talking about, but close.