• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Custom Maglite Tri/Quad LuxIII 9-12 watts from 1or2 (9-12Ah) NIMH D cells (many pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaocaholica

Enlightened
If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be glad to proto it. Maybe I should move this off to another thread though.

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
This design has a great optical effect, surely. But I'm skeptical if it's more effective in the cooling process than without the fins, because be absent a lot of Aluminium material. I think, the metal is more effective than the air, because the light is not be driven through the air on a bike.

Before you will produce this in serie, I would make a test of the efficiency by the member modamag.

Best regards

____
Tom

MillerMods

Flashlight Enthusiast
More mass will prolong the time it takes to thermally saturate the head, but heat dissipation can only be increased by more surface area. The key is to find balance between mass and surface area to reduce the peak temp. The other point is that you only have convection air current working for you at best if the light is left sitting on. Walking around with the flashlight will help considerably if it has some fins. I believe that gradually increasing the depth of the fins starting from the front of the head and keeping the number of fins down to maybe 4, might be optimal. Too many fins would only be helpful if you're running or directing traffic.

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Millermods:)

Yes, that's my thoughts. It's not easy, to find the right way. If you look at smaller lights (with less Alu-body) the risk to overheat is much higher.
The air can reach the heatsink faster, but the heat is more.

In my opinion, it's better to have more material (metal) for heattransfer than less with more surface (using for this kind of light)

Best regards

____
Tom

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
Shaocaholica: I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw that rendition. The only thing missing are the MagLite logos. I thought it was the real thing at first.

Production of the real thing might be a tad bit hard (or long) since the upper most plate (closest to the lens) is flat. A small end mill will need to travel along the Y & Z axis for each curve of the last two plates. 4x for upmost and 12x for the next plate. That head will be one of the most expensive and most beautiful Mag head in CPF history.

It's easy to sweep-cut in CAD but it's a whole other story in CAM.

I'll be happy to do a thermal analysis on the part. Just send me the CAD file and state any boundary condition you would like to perform.

MillerMods: Excellent work on the driver.
"heat dissipation can only be increased by more surface area" is a very astute comment. Increasing surface will increase your thermal convection numbers since air is all around the light. But remember when you remove the mass you're also reducing the thermal conduction where your hands are removing the heat away from the system. :D

Shaocaholica

Enlightened
modamag said:
Shaocaholica: I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw that rendition. The only thing missing are the MagLite logos. I thought it was the real thing at first.

Production of the real thing might be a tad bit hard (or long) since the upper most plate (closest to the lens) is flat. A small end mill will need to travel along the Y & Z axis for each curve of the last two plates. 4x for upmost and 12x for the next plate. That head will be one of the most expensive and most beautiful Mag head in CPF history.

It's easy to sweep-cut in CAD but it's a whole other story in CAM.

I'll be happy to do a thermal analysis on the part. Just send me the CAD file and state any boundary condition you would like to perform.

The logo/text on the head is forthcoming if I can find a decent high-res graphic of the logo and the font.

It's not a CAD file but I can convert it although I don't really care for thermal analysis. I just did it because I can mock it up and render it semi photo real in way less time and money than it would be to make it in the shop.

I think I might offer a service for mag modders to prototype their designs without any machine work.

What I really need is a precise blueprint of the D maglight showing the cross sections so I can more realistically avoid designs that are physically impossible.

Edit: Found a vector logo in their corporate gift brochure .pdf!

Last edited:

MillerMods

Flashlight Enthusiast
modamag said:
MillerMods: Excellent work on the driver.
"heat dissipation can only be increased by more surface area" is a very astute comment. Increasing surface will increase your thermal convection numbers since air is all around the light. But remember when you remove the mass you're also reducing the thermal conduction where your hands are removing the heat away from the system. :D

Thanks. This is why I thought the best solution would be to put less fins and vary the depth of the fins so they are all the same depth. A comprise of convection and conduction. The problem with relying on someones hand to disipate heat is when it's set down for long periods. I guess the answer to that is don't set it down for long periods on a high setting. Hmmm...

Last edited:

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Shaocaholica said:
Enjoy.

finned_modA.jpg

Shaocaholica pretty amazing drawing! I did something similar last week :)

Flute_roove-vi.jpg

Mac

Last edited:

Nvr2brt

Newly Enlightened
Eric,

PayPal sent for a "basic" 2D Quad in Copper, with no fins.

Now, like everyone else, I'd like to have delivery in the next 15 minutes!

Thanks.

Tom

Flash007

Enlightened
Re: Custom Maglite Tri/Quad LuxIII 9-12 watts from 1or2 (9-12Ah) NIMH D cells (many pics)

Hi Millermods,

any news about Tri/Quad-Lux ?

Question : Pewter color, isn't like titanium grey ?

MillerMods

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flash007 said:
Hi Millermods,

any news about Tri/Quad-Lux ?

Question : Pewter color, isn't like titanium grey ?

Pewter is the color of the fluted cut down on the previous page.

I'm very busy with getting orders for all of my different mods done right now so PIC versions are on hold for awhile. When I have time, I've been developing the single cell versions. Aside from a couple things to work out with board revisions, the single cell version is very impressive. Stay tuned. :D

Flash007

Enlightened
Re: Custom Maglite Tri/Quad LuxIII 9-12 watts from 1or2 (9-12Ah) NIMH D cells (many pics)

Thanks.

I choose pewter color for my mod (seems like silver, but darker). Good.
Photonfanatic sells for now UWOJ LuxIII (3 for $57).
If I ask to him to send the UWOJ to you, do you accept to receive them and install in my Tri-Lux 2D Mag ?
And what about the fins for Tri-Lux ? Needed, not needed ?

MillerMods

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flash007 said:
Thanks.

I choose pewter color for my mod (seems like silver, but darker). Good.
Photonfanatic sells for now UWOJ LuxIII (3 for $57).
If I ask to him to send the UWOJ to you, do you accept to receive them and install in my Tri-Lux 2D Mag ?
And what about the fins for Tri-Lux ? Needed, not needed ?

Others have had Photonfanatic send me their Luxes before and I'm fine with that. The Tri-lux does well without fins.

Flash007

Enlightened

Thank you !

I will contact photonfanatic to send to you 3 UWOJ, for my TRI-LUX 2D Mag.

Flash007

Enlightened

Payment done to Photonfanatic for the 3 UWOJ !

When you receive them, please leave me a message.

Please inform me too when the payment (paypal) must be done for my 2D Mag mod.
If I must pay now, no problem. Send me only your paypal data (CC paypal).

Resume : Pewter color Tri-Lux 2D Mag + 3 UWOJ @1A + 2x 12Ah CTA accus.
Total price + international shipping (need secure shipping, like Global Priority Mail) to Belgium.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.