Cutting down 5mm LEDs

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know this topic was talked more about in the past than in recent years, but I can't seem to find any threads that describe the process. Can anyone direct me to a thread that would help me out? Or has anyone had success cutting down the 5mm LEDs to shape its output?

I just swapped LEDs in my Petzl Tikka Plus for 55k JELEDs and its now a few orders of magnitude brighter. However, I'd like to take some of that extra light that is concentrated into a spot and make it more floody. The cut down LED in my Dorcy Turtlelight is rounded but I seem to recall some people just cutting it down flat at the end. Also, what are people using to do this? I'm guessing a dremel with some kind of grinding attachment because I can't see sandpaper doing much.

Thanks in advance.

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, they are pretty soft, and a medium sandpaper on a block would not take too long. I have used a sanding drum on a Dremel for all of the ones I have done. I have taken them as close as I am comforatable to the die inside, not quite flat, just a little dome shape. Then I polish down through sandpaper grades all the way to 2000 grit (auto body finishing paper), and then buff. If you use it with a parabolic reflector, it will make a tighter spot, reflecting the light out the sides of the LED off of the reflector. Without a parabolic reflector, it will produce almost no hot spot at all, just a wide flood of light. I don't have the Tikka, so not sure which it has.

Hondo

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only shaping of 5mm LEDs that I've done I just sawed the top off them, then maybe used a bit of sandpaper or a fine file to smooth it off a bit. Since I just wanted a broad light for backlighting a radio's LCD I didn't worry to much about making the new surface optical quality.

cutlerylover

Banned
I have LED keychain lights on ym keys one of them original and it has decent throw, the other identical light but I canded the dowm down to nothing, that light I use for in the car light like readign a map so its easy on the eyes...Works like a charm, all flood, no hotspot...

ken2400

Enlightened
I have had good luck using a hack saw and sand paper. Don't cut too much off just enought to get to dome off the top. I did not have the real fine stuff so I just used some 200 and then put clear nail polish over the LED when I was done.

Good luck.
Minjin said:
I know this topic was talked more about in the past than in recent years, but I can't seem to find any threads that describe the process. Can anyone direct me to a thread that would help me out? Or has anyone had success cutting down the 5mm LEDs to shape its output?

I just swapped LEDs in my Petzl Tikka Plus for 55k JELEDs and its now a few orders of magnitude brighter. However, I'd like to take some of that extra light that is concentrated into a spot and make it more floody. The cut down LED in my Dorcy Turtlelight is rounded but I seem to recall some people just cutting it down flat at the end. Also, what are people using to do this? I'm guessing a dremel with some kind of grinding attachment because I can't see sandpaper doing much.

Thanks in advance.

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been wondering about using the tool made for countersinking screwheads in wood -- cuts a wide shallow conical hole. Doing that then polishing the inside ought to throw all the light out to the sides toward a reflector.

So many project ideas, so little time ...