Cyclops Flashlight Explosion

Wurkkos

mdocod

Flashaholic
Joined
Nov 9, 2005
Messages
7,544
Location
COLORado spRINGs
not sure about the bulb, but you did the right thing using energizer brand batteries (or any USA made CR123).... The USA made ones have a much lower incidence of explosion.... I don't recall a single incidence reported with the energizer brand on this forum, but even most of the USA brands have had a few.
 

xlr8

Newly Enlightened
Joined
Dec 13, 2008
Messages
3
Thanks I'll contact cyclops directly for replacement bulbs. I appreciate the help. They really have been great little flashlights.
 

baldhunter

Newly Enlightened
Joined
Sep 15, 2010
Messages
1
The same thing happened to me. I heard an explosion, and thought someone was shooting into mu house. I grabbed my gun and ran into the family room. The smell would eventually reveal the story.... I had atttempted to use my Cyclops light with origional batteries, but the light was dead. I'm sure I clicked it 5 or 6 times trying to get it to come on. I must have left the switch in the on position with no light being emitted, and the bateries overheated. The batteries blew the bulb and glas out.
 

DM51

Super Moderator,
Supporter
Joined
Oct 31, 2006
Messages
13,338
Location
Borg cube #51
Old thread... but worthy of revival as a reminder that members should be very careful about where they source their batteries. I'm moving it to the Smoke & Fire section.
 

ReturnFormer

Newly Enlightened
Joined
Mar 13, 2011
Messages
13
Yes, good Idea! If your flashlight dims then it would be good practice to remove the cell/cells and test on a battery checker. Anything in the 20% mark or below should be disposed of or recharged (if RCR123). Don't be in the belief of "should be able to get another Xminutes out of them". If you think this; and put them back into your flashlight, you will be asking for trouble!!

can anyone recommend a good, relatively inexpensive, battery checker that can check CR123 as well as AA/AAA?
 

mdpvs7

Newly Enlightened
Joined
Nov 10, 2009
Messages
13
Location
MD
I know this is an old thread, but I'm now a little worried - I got "great deals" on 2 packs of 2 each of these from Sam's years ago, and believe it or not, still have the original batteries in a couple of the lights (used mostly just for winter-coat pocket backup lights). I think I know the obvious answer, but should I just go ahead and discard/recycle the remaining batteries? All 4 lights still and have always worked fine, but I gave one to my son, so don't want to take chances.

(As a side note, I'm just reading this thread after reading about the recent Solarforce L1200 vs. coffeepot (and human) incident - I've had one of these in the bedroom closet as a grab-and-go light for years - I'm now looking at it in a "whole new light" as well....). Thanks.
 

handyman49

Newly Enlightened
Joined
Jun 5, 2011
Messages
1
I gave my brother a flashlight as a gift and it exploded tonight; burned holes in the carpet; hole in the wall and black spray all over the other wall; blew out of both ends; melted the threads on the light; i gave 4 of these lights away as gifts with the lithium batteries and feel really bad about it. the batteries are cyclops but made in china with a phone number; let me see, ethelyne glycol in our toothpaste and cough syrup, exploding batteries, lead in kids toys, tires that blow out the sides, anybody get the message?
 

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Supporter
Joined
Aug 27, 2006
Messages
16,487
Location
NYC
I gave my brother a flashlight as a gift and it exploded tonight; burned holes in the carpet; hole in the wall and black spray all over the other wall; blew out of both ends; melted the threads on the light; i gave 4 of these lights away as gifts with the lithium batteries and feel really bad about it. the batteries are cyclops but made in china with a phone number; let me see, ethelyne glycol in our toothpaste and cough syrup, exploding batteries, lead in kids toys, tires that blow out the sides, anybody get the message?

Were either one of you exposed to the venting gases, or perhaps breathed them in?

If so, get medical attention right away. CR123 cells are no joke! They should not be used without a complete understanding of the possible dangers involved, and the ways to greatly minimize those dangers. When you get a chance, contact the others you gave those lights to as gifts. Tell them to remove the cells, and dispose of them properly.

Best way to avoid an issue is to buy quality cells from either America or Japan. Yes, there is a huge Q.C. difference. This is one time when saving a few bucks can be an issue . . . a HUGE one!

Best way to save money on such cells is to buy the quality ones online, in bulk, from a trusted internet dealer. For example, my last case of 12 cells was purchased online for $16 and change. A good price for Made in America Energizer CR123s.

As for the remains of the light. Don't touch it without heavy-duty work gloves, goggles and a dust mask. The fumes are toxic.

As far as gift-giving goes, I've given away lights that run on CR123 cells. But only to very knowledgeable individuals. Even if the light comes with quality cells, the first time they get depleted; the owners will likely buy the cheapest Made in China junk to replace them. If you warn them about the dangers, they'll either not believe you. Or, hand you back the light as if you gave them a venomous snake as a gift.

Hope both you and your brother are all right.
 

CYCLOPS_GO_BOOM

Newly Enlightened
Joined
Jul 11, 2011
Messages
1
I had a bad experience with the Cyclops battery. My 2 year old grandson was just holding this for me a few mins before it happened. Man I carry this in my pocket too!!

On June 5th, 2011 I was working on a PC in my office room and set the flashlight on the ground turned off and not more than 3 min passed my wife and I heard an explosion originating inside the house from the southwest corner room adjacent to the garage. Upon inspection, the Cyclops CYC-CR123 Lithium battery inside the Cyclops XCF 80 Lumens Xenon flashlight had exploded, leaving the following damage:
  • The wall from the battery heat which discolored and did physical damage to the paint and baseboard.
  • The baseboard which the flashlight handle had broken through and was protruding from.
  • My wife’s sewing bin of drawers from the head of the flashlight hitting it and from the internal battery parts melting and sticking to the plastic drawers.
  • Lithium Cobalt dust spread over the area on all surfaces.

In addition, the rug in the room was contaminated with Lithium Cobalt which is a known carcinogenic. Because of the contamination, and with young children in the house, it was recommended the rug in the room be replaced.


The flashlight and batteries were used according to manufacturer's specifications and were not abused or mishandled in any way.

I had contacted the company and they agreed to pay for the damage but that has yet to be paid. :mad:
 

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Supporter
Joined
Aug 27, 2006
Messages
16,487
Location
NYC
Get yourself a good lawyer, and go after them.

Not the sort of advice I usually give. But in your case, it's clearly justified.
 
Top