Cylops/Thor or Look-a-like question/problem

chrishouse

Newly Enlightened
I have a 10 MCP spotlight that came from Advance Auto Parts. It looks a lot like the Cyclops brand, it has the two charging ports on one side and two switches on the other.

The battery is dead, but I wanted to verify the unit works before buying a new Battery. With battery removed, I tried plugging in the 12 volt cigarette adapter and light would not come on. Then, battery still removed, I hooked the battery wires up to my car battery with jumper cables. Verified voltage on cables, but light would not come on.

Just for curiosity, I connected BOTH the cigarette lighter adapter AND the battery wires to my battery and I got light. Light remained on when I disconnected only the negative wire to battery, light went off when both were off or just the negative was on with the cigarette adapter plugged in.

I am not sure if there is an issue in the charging circuit. However, I do not want to risk buying a battery if there is some other issue.

Also, can anyone tell me how to convert this light to work straight off the 12 volt adapter without the battery?

Thanks in advance.

chrishouse

Newly Enlightened
Professionals favorite question/problem

Never mind above, I figured it out. The Brand is Professionals Choice 10 MCP from Advance Auto Parts.

I took the unit apart where I could get to the wires and hook straight to Battery and light worked, so I ordered a new battery. I must have not been getting a good connection on Jumper cables before.

The inside is all basic circuits and mechanical switches, are not really any electronics there other than one diode and resister. Not sure what those do, I am guess they have something to do with making the unit not work when being charged by A/C adapter?

As soon as I get this up and running, I am going to look at modding the unit. I want to maintain at least the same amount of light/throw and hopefully increase battery life. Any suggestions?

chrishouse

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info. Is there a special 55 watt HID kit for spotlights or do I just get one made for car headlights?

I am sure someone has already converted this light, are the any links or instructive posts?

Sorry, I am very new here.

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
Many many many have done this upgrade.
Most ppl use the standard, cheap eBay slim ballast units. I suggest getting a warmer colored bulb (3000-4000k), since the cooler colors make things look "off" when shining.
One issue you may have is focus, but you can make shims to position the bulb at the best focal point. Takes some time, trial and error wise, but it's worth it.
55 watts is the standard that most ppl use but the 35 watt units will still out preform the stock and give you great runtime. Others try to cram 75 or even the big 100 watt units in but this is best left to more advanced modders.
Just make sure you order the correct bulb type for your light.
If you have any more questions, feel free to post them here or PM me and help will be provided!
Good luck with your first mod and welcome to cpf!