CZ9mm

Newly Enlightened
So, so far the lights that I've had are:

Surefire G2L
Surefire E1B (though I lost this one)
Surefire E2DL
Surefire Saint
Surefire X300 Ultra

However, I don't carry the E2DL much anymore because of its length, upside down carry, and sharp bezel. My father also recently purchased a Streamlight PT-HL, and that has caused me to vastly crave another light as well as research Surefire alternatives.

First, a word on Surefire. I love them. When it comes to weapon mounted lights, I don't think I'd ever trust anything as well. These lights are built tough. Surefire also makes sure to take care of their customers. For the few issues that I've had (broken clip, etc), they've been very quick to send replacement parts for free.

With that being said, I feel that there are a lot of companies out there that are moving faster than Surefire. This has its positives as well as negatives. So although I love the new Surefire EB1, I am open to giving another manufacturer a try.

In my new light, I'm looking for:

• EDC Capable (bezel down with clip, this is a must)
  • Reliable (well made, durable, reputable company, will stand hard use)
  • USA made (not a necessity, I think Surefire is about the best option here, I'm willing to compromise if need be)
  • Strobe (I've always wanted an EDC light with a strobe, but Surefire doesn't really do this)
  • 1x or 2x CR123's (if there is a system that will take a recheargeable batter or CR123's, I'd be very, very interested in this. I don't know anything about rechargeable batteries for flashlights though. It'd have to be professionally and reliably implemented though).
  • Tail switch
  • Good programming/operations (This varies by opinion, but I have to have something that can easily do strobe or high on first click. Perhaps something that is programmable, just as long as it is well implemented.
  • Lumens >200 OTF Required,

As of right now, I am very interested in the Streamlight PT-2l and the 4Sevens QP2l as well as the QT2l or QT2l-x.

I think that the 4Sevens QT2l would just about do it, but it seems that once you program two "settings", you cannot readily cycle into any of the other settings, thus leaving you with two options unless you want to program it again.

That leaves me to be very interested in the QP2l, however, before a purchase I wanted to check here and see what you all thought. There are probably lights out there that I have never even seen. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: New EDC Light Recommendations!

First, a word on Surefire. I love them. When it comes to weapon mounted lights, I don't think I'd ever trust anything as well.

I'm a big Quark fan, but without dual springs, IMHO, they are not weapon mountable... recoil will turn batteries into piston hammers. Although I don't own any, I understand the Maelstrom series is designed for weapon mounting.

How about Malkoff lights?

CZ9mm

Newly Enlightened

I'm a big Quark fan, but without dual springs, IMHO, they are not weapon mountable... recoil will turn batteries into piston hammers. Although I don't own any, I understand the Maelstrom series is designed for weapon mounting.

How about Malkoff lights?

For my EDC light, I don't care about it being weapon mountable. My X300 Ultra is already mounted;)

Heard of Malkoff, not all that familiar with them though. So maybe?

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast

Try to get your hands on a first generation Malkoff MDC. 1x123, high/low/strobe modes, bezel down clip, made in the USA, and many people say his quality is on par (or exceeds) Surefire.

Stockhouse13

Newly Enlightened

I'm loving my new Quark pro with 780 burst. It is light (2.8 oz w batteries) has great modes n run times. Well made too. The best for edc. Malkoffs are sweet but dont offer the strobe you want. I have a surefire g2 w a malkoff 61wL and a md2 361n turnkey but at 6oz its bulky and hard to edc without a holster. Man, is it a well made light, though!!! The best.

I chose the Quark pro over the tactical solely for tailstand capability and the Quark 10 year warranty, which most foreign light companies dont offer. Its a lotta flashlight for $67.00. Btw, the zebra 600w is another nice light to consider, but takes the 18650 battery.

Last edited:

tonkem

Enlightened

You might consider Elzetta Bravo(2 cell) or the forthcoming Elzetta Alpha(1 cell). Bravo is 650 lumens, OTF, and Alpha is still in development, but is to be released by summer 2014, at around 300 lumens on a single 123. Elzettas have been tested against surefire's and have been found to be more durable. Just google some of the videos where they shoot the lights with Shotguns, and throw them from helicopters. etc. They even dis assemble the Elzetta in water and re assemble, etc. Hard to get a more durable light, and meets your Lumen output.

As far as rechargeable options, most will suggest 18650 batteries, but I don't know of any lights that will meet your durability (at least not verified) requirements with an 18650. Although, Surefire has the Peacekeeper that is vapor ware for now, but is supposed to come out this year, and is similar to the Fury but uses only an 18650 battery.

My .02.

Chevy-SS

Enlightened

I'm loving my new Quark pro with 780 burst. It is light, has great modes n run times. Well made too. The best for edc.

Yep, me too. I have been EDC'ing various versions of the Quark 'tactical' 2xCR123 lights for about 4 years now. I absolutely love the two-mode 'tactical' UI. I have mine set on turbo (loose head) and strobe (tight head). I have one in my pocket at all times. Truly one of the very best choices for every day pocket carry IMHO....

Good luck!

CZ9mm

Newly Enlightened

So...after a lot of research is it possible that my criterion have changed. I look at it this way...I have plenty of CR123 lights but not a single AA light. That got me researching AA lights. I nearly decided to go with one of the AA Quarks and use Eneloops with them (I have never tried them but I am going to get some). However, I seem to be reading about all these batteries on here such as 14500 and 16500 and what not. If someone willing, will you put into simple terms which batteries are compatible with which systems? Such as if I get a AA light which batteries will work, or if I get a CR123 light which batteries will work.

I think my next research interest is going to be getting a light that is moderately bright (100-300 lumens), has good build quality, and will accept a reliable and stable rechargeable battery but also accept either standard AA's or CR123's.

Also, yesterday I spent a bit looking at the lithium blowup threads. Wow! That doesn't totally turn me away from the CR123's, but I honestly never realized that them exploding was such a (somewhat) common occurrence. I've always seen the warning on Surefire boxes but always told myself that was lawyer talk and never really happens. I suppose what gets me is that the poisonous gases released from the batteries.

I take away though that if you use quality cells, don't mix them, and overall you'll be fine. But I was just surprised that batteries that a lot more people are using vs. 5 or 10 years ago (I was the first in my family to own a CR1223 light, now several do as well as my buddies) are so dangerous.

So...my first thing I'd like to know is about the batteries. Also, what Quark would best take advantage of such battery interchangeability for EDC?

Hopefully there is a thread for "Batteries for Dummies" or something?

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast

The low voltage head Quarks will fully support any battery/chemistry in single cell form, just make sure you are within the proper voltage range (0.9-4.2V) if using cells in combination. Quarks Lego so you can get 1xAA, 2xAA and 1xCR123 battery tubes (for example) and swap them in/out as you need.

10602802866_4ce3910060_z.jpg

In the ~1.5V range you have Alkalines, L91 Lithium primaries, and NiMh Eneloops. These can be run either single or dual cell bodies, single cell max will be about half the dual cell max.

In the ~3V+ range you have CRAAs lithium primaries (a CR123 in AA body), and 14500 Li-ion rechargeables. These can only be used singly but they will power the light to true max.

Not sure what your budget is, but I would advise a low voltage XML head (QP2A-X or QT2A-X, I like the Pros) for the floodier beam, and they are free of common Quark quirks (high output preflash, long reset time on Li-ions), not to mention max is ~350 lms. My favorite rig is a QP2A-X with optional 1xAA tube (and the 2xAA tube makes a great spare battery container).

Don't get too worked up on the dangers of lithium primary/secondary cells. Just read up in battery section and understand what puts them at risk - in general, the risk of explosion (venting with flame) is only on the charge cycle. With 2 cells in series, if they are badly mismatched, the weaker one will go through 0 voltage and actually start charging in reverse... won't happen in a single cell light.

CZ9mm

Newly Enlightened

The low voltage head Quarks will fully support any battery/chemistry in single cell form, just make sure you are within the proper voltage range (0.9-4.2V) if using cells in combination. Quarks Lego so you can get 1xAA, 2xAA and 1xCR123 battery tubes (for example) and swap them in/out as you need.

10602802866_4ce3910060_z.jpg

In the ~1.5V range you have Alkalines, L91 Lithium primaries, and NiMh Eneloops. These can be run either single or dual cell bodies, single cell max will be about half the dual cell max.

In the ~3V+ range you have CRAAs lithium primaries (a CR123 in AA body), and 14500 Li-ion rechargeables. These can only be used singly but they will power the light to true max.

Not sure what your budget is, but I would advise a low voltage XML head (QP2A-X or QT2A-X, I like the Pros) for the floodier beam, and they are free of common Quark quirks (high output preflash, long reset time on Li-ions), not to mention max is ~350 lms. My favorite rig is a QP2A-X with optional 1xAA tube (and the 2xAA tube makes a great spare battery container).

Don't get too worked up on the dangers of lithium primary/secondary cells. Just read up in battery section and understand what puts them at risk - in general, the risk of explosion (venting with flame) is only on the charge cycle. With 2 cells in series, if they are badly mismatched, the weaker one will go through 0 voltage and actually start charging in reverse... won't happen in a single cell light.

So..get the QP2A-X head because its max is ~336 ~350 lumens. However, use it with the shorter tube so it is not 5.8 inches. What would the lumen output be on a 1xAA tube? Also, I've read that 4Sevens uses Alkaline batteries in their tests, therefore with Lithium L91 or NiMh Eneloops, output and/or runtime should be better than advertised?

For a spare battery container, what would you use for the ends?

EDIT: Found the ends, they have more accessories than they do lights!

I do wish 4Sevens took the pride in manufacturing in America, but it seems they have a very neat and vast array of options here.

Last edited:

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
New EDC Light Recommendations!

So..get the QP2A-X head because its max is ~336 ~350 lumens. However, use it with the shorter tube so it is not 5.8 inches. What would the lumen output be on a 1xAA tube? Also, I've read that 4Sevens uses Alkaline batteries in their tests, therefore with Lithium L91 or NiMh Eneloops, output and/or runtime should be better than advertised?

For a spare battery container, what would you use for the ends?

EDIT: Found the ends, they have more accessories than they do lights!

I do wish 4Sevens took the pride in manufacturing in America, but it seems they have a very neat and vast array of options here.

Actually, I'm a low lumen enthusiast and like the XML head for it's floodier low lux beam (better for close to med range task use - most of my EDC needs), brightest moonlight mode (bright enough to be my general purpose low w/200 hrs per AA runtimes), and that they've fixed the high-output preflash and long Li-ion reset issues that I think is still present in the XPG models.

Yeah the XML is about ~100 lms brighter than the XPGs at max, but it'll be hard to perceive it with the naked eye... in fact the higher lux XPG might appear brighter to the untrained eye, and might actually be better in a defensive situation with the high lux hotspot and slightly higher frequency strobe.

Yes, 47s conservatively rates it's lights and with Alks... the XML should put out ~175 lms on 1xEneloop/L91 for say ~0.9/1.3 hrs with declining output to 50%. I personally like running 14500s and CRAAs for a full 350 lms output (and other reasons) in the single cell size. If you buy a spare tube, two end caps will be included...

If you want a US made AA light, I would suggest a Malkoff MDC AA which I have and like very much (just bought a 2nd one) - awesome build quality. But truth be told as an illumination tool, the versatility of the Quark will run circles around it. I do trust the Malkoff to ultimately be more reliable but the Quarks strike a better balance of Asian power/features and US-style reliability/warranty/CS/location for me.

archimedes

Flashaholic

I think my next research interest is going to be getting a light that is moderately bright (100-300 lumens), has good build quality, and will accept a reliable and stable rechargeable battery but also accept either standard AA's or CR123's....

Seems like this thread has gone a bit too long without any mention of Peak ... :devil:

I like the Peak Logan 17500 in stainless steel, with the adapter set, to run 10440 / 14500 / 16340 / 17500 sizes in nearly any common battery chemistry (although technically IMR is not supported).

CZ9mm

Newly Enlightened
4Sevens Quark Questions (New EDC Light Recommendations!)

Actually, I'm a low lumen enthusiast and like the XML head for it's floodier low lux beam (better for close to med range task use - most of my EDC needs), brightest moonlight mode (bright enough to be my general purpose low w/200 hrs per AA runtimes), and that they've fixed the high-output preflash and long Li-ion reset issues that I think is still present in the XPG models.

Yeah the XML is about ~100 lms brighter than the XPGs at max, but it'll be hard to perceive it with the naked eye... in fact the higher lux XPG might appear brighter to the untrained eye, and might actually be better in a defensive situation with the high lux hotspot and slightly higher frequency strobe.

Yes, 47s conservatively rates it's lights and with Alks... the XML should put out ~175 lms on 1xEneloop/L91 for say ~0.9/1.3 hrs with declining output to 50%. I personally like running 14500s and CRAAs for a full 350 lms output (and other reasons) in the single cell size. If you buy a spare tube, two end caps will be included...

If you want a US made AA light, I would suggest a Malkoff MDC AA which I have and like very much (just bought a 2nd one) - awesome build quality. But truth be told as an illumination tool, the versatility of the Quark will run circles around it. I do trust the Malkoff to ultimately be more reliable but the Quarks strike a better balance of Asian power/features and US-style reliability/warranty/CS/location for me.

So, tell me if all of this assuming is correct.

If I purchase either the Pro QP2A OR the QP2A-X, I will get a head, 2xAA body, and "Pro" tailcap.

Then, if I purchase the following accessories:

Quark 1xAA Body
Quark 1xCR123 Body
Quark Turbo Flat Tailcap

I will be able to take the head and match it with any of those bodies and use the Turbo Flat Tailcap. I can then use either the 1xAA body or the 2xAA body for daily use and Eneloops. That will give me cheap daily operating cost so I won't ever feel guilty about using the light too long. However, I can take either the spare AA body or the CR123 body and take the Pro Tailcap that is included with the flashlight purchase, pair it with one of the free included endcaps that comes with the bodies, and have a really nice "tube" to keep a spare battery in my pocket. Then if SHTF (that's all anyone cares about on my firearm forums), and my AA Eneloops die, I will have a spare CR123 body in my pocket that I can instantly use simply by changing the head to the other body. I said I'd put a tailcap on the "spare tube" because I'd like to connect it to my keychain like I do with this:

Go_Tubes.jpg

I have never even thought about doing this, but in my mind it would be great. I would be able to have on my persons a AA flashlight that could instantly be converted to my "backup" CR123. The only thing I could not do would be to place a 2xCR123 body on that head because the voltage would be too high, right?

Any pros or cons that I'm overlooking? Any estimates on lumens/runtimes on each of the possible configurations?

QP2A-X w/ 2xAA Eneloop
QP2A w/ 1xAA Eneloop
QP2A w/ 1xCR123

My last question would be whether there would be any benefits for purchasing instead one of the heads that comes with the CR123 lights, such as the Quark Pro QP2L-X with Burst Mode?

Thanks in advance.

/After I realized all of this, I think I am very, very excited about Quarks!

Last edited:

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
4Sevens Quark Questions (New EDC Light Recommendations!)

You can go to CPFmarketplace.com, the 47s subforum, and find a runtime testimonial sticky there. Although the XML emitters are under represented, they're in the same ballpark in terms of lumen-hours of efficiency with the XPGs. The high voltage heads (2Ls) will get you up ~800 lms (burst mode), if that's what you want, but you will forfeit the commonly available AA cells (Alks, Eneloops, L91s), and will be restricted to lithium manganese primaries and li-ion rechargeables. The low voltage head will run any of these chemisties, including 1x17670 or 16650 Li-ion in the 2L body, but will cap you at ~350 lms. Due to the logarithmic way we perceive brightness, 800 lms will visually appear ~50% brighter than 350 lms or (800/350)^0.5.

Your proposed configs will work, but know that the turbo tailcaps are both wider (1-2mm) than the regular Quarks and also are forward momentary clickies (reverse clickies work better with the multimode Pro UIs), why not just use another Pro reverse clicky. Also seems redundant to have an extra clicky only for the keychain ring mounting - perhaps just drill a hole in an end cap and string it to the keychain?

I'm actually thinking about using a 47s Atom AA, with a 3V CRAA in it on my keychain - and would be a bit smaller than your CR123 body with clicky idea. This would act as a spare battery container for my QAAX, a back-up flashlight, a pure flood lighting complement, and the CRAA will also power all my other 2xAA EDC devices (cellphone charger, GPS, radio, or QAA2 body) with a dummy cell made from tinfoil... kills a lot of birds with one stone. In a real pinch or SHTF, with a just a piece of MacGyver tinfoil, the low voltage head Quark on a 1xAA tube can also run 9Vs (6xAAAAs) and AAAs, and with just the head and tinfoil, can run anything between a CR123 and 18650 (from laptops).

Last edited:

BillSWPA

Enlightened
Re: 4Sevens Quark Questions (New EDC Light Recommendations!)

A Quark QT2L is my most common EDC, and I also have an original 123^2 Tactical, QTL, and QT2A. All of my CR123 models are programmed for strobe with the head tight, and maximum with the head loose. I carry them with the head tight. The QT2A is programmed for medium with the head tight, and maximum with the head loose, making it more useful for everyday tasks, but also making it easily reprogrammable to my favorite tactical setting by changing the head tight setting to strobe. Any of the Quark Tacticals are solid choices. Good information has already been provided above, but just to add some things to consider:

If strobe is desirable, get one with an XP-G2 emitter. The strobe rate on Quarks with XP-G2 emitters is higher than the strobe rate of the Quarks with the XM-L2 emitters, and is much more effective for its intended purpose.

Depending on how you want to carry the light, Comp-Tac makes a Kydex belt pouch that is listed for one particular Quark, but which is a perfect fit for every Quark I listed above (and most likely the other Quark Pro and Tactical models as well). It holds the light securely and discreetly, and provides fast access.

CZ9mm

Newly Enlightened

What is meant by high-output preflash?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Korgath

Newly Enlightened

Why would you want to limit yourself to the Quark brand only? There are excellent alternatives such as Zebralight. You should consider them.

What is meant by high-output preflash?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the non "X" quarks, there is often a very bright, but brief flash before the moonlight turns on. Very annoying when you have dark-adapted eyes. The flash on the X models is much less as it uses a different driver.