D10 Emitter Swap

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just to clarify, if the LED is swapped, would that also eliminate any warranty covering mechanical defects like the end of the piston falling off, or the body splitting at the threads, just to name a couple of things I've heard about, or would it just void the warranty on the LE?

I only ask because I can't think of any way the body of the light would be affected by changing the LED.

I emailed 4sevens, and here was his reply:

4sevens said:
While it is true that just swapping the emitter will not hurt the electronics but other things can happen
such as static discharge and the wire connecting to the pcb could also break - requiring you to remove the pcb
which somethings can pull parts off of the pcb.

We simply just don't encourage it at all. Of course if it's obvious that there was a manufactures defect - like
the body breaks, we would take care of you.

jcw122

Enlightened
Artic Silver AS5 for the WIN! Great stuff.

I know AS5 isn't a long-term-use paste though, for computers at least. I know it is recommended that it be reapplied every year or so (if I remember right). Any worries about that Cowboy?

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's recommended to be replaced yearly for best performance, like just about any other thermal compound. Most tend to dry out a bit over time, but I've seen computers run for over 5 years without ever getting new AS5, with only a 1-2 degree difference from freshly broken-in.

F250XLT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Due to the upcoming Ti D10 release, I am bumping this to the top. Are you still doing this mod, I might need you to upgrade the emitter and swap the pill into my Ti D10.

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I might consider it, but due to the very poor quality control on Nitecore's part, I only mod them with the understanding that if it fries, you get back a broken light and your money, minus return shipping and the cost of the LED.