DaFab 007 XPG upgrade

SFfanman

Enlightened
Re: A new photo

I thought you all might enjoy this 'head shot'...

DaFab is the man. I love this light more every day. And of course, Data is the man, too!!

:twothumbs:twothumbs

level 2

P1020245.JPG

Level 1

P1020244.JPG

Is that gorgeous, or what??? :party: :D

I want to say what, :oops: But that is gorgeous! One can only dream. :kewlpics:

ninemm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: A new photo

Oh man. This thread makes me want an 007 even more. I love dials. Get a nice quad emitter Surefire U2 and one 007 and I'd be in dial your light to perfection heaven!

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Readings

Oh man. This thread makes me want an 007 even more. I love dials. Get a nice quad emitter Surefire U2 and one 007 and I'd be in dial your light to perfection heaven!

Here - this will only make it worse!! I did readings in my sphere since the upgrade was done. I won't go through all the disclaimers about my home made IS - you can see all that by clicking the link in my sig line. But check this out...and my readings have proven to be within around 5% accurate or better.
0001Va.jpg

As you can see, the level one (programmed that way for me at my request by DaFab) is so low that it barely registers! Yet, in a dark house, it is perfect for moving around without disturbing anyone. Level 2 - as low as that seems, becomes a huge amount of light in a dark house. 3 and 4 are perfect for lighting the path that I walk on (dark)..5 will take care of lighting up virtually anything at a distance - 6 is a "flamethrower" that will freeze a critter in its tracks - or make sure that a speeding car sees me when I am walking near the road.

This light continues to grow on me for the UTILITY that it offers. I still love my McGizmos - and always will - they have a bit more friendly 'form factor' for EDC, but for my 2 biggest uses, moving around the house and walking my dogs when it is dark, this darn thing is just great.

Now, if I (we) can just be quick enough on the trigger when the next wave of Tri-Vs are available!! :poof: lovecpf :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Rudi

Enlightened
This upgrade is fabulous. Tim did a great job. 50% more lumens, improved throw, much brighter spill, lovely tint, nice beam pattern, and quick turnaround. What more could a flashaholic want? Thanks a bunch Tim.

Surprisingly, while lumens are up by 50% at the top, they are up 100% in the mid-range and over 200% in the low range (unless Tim reprogrammed the light, which I doubt). If I'm interpreting this correctly, under normal use this would translate to longer runtimes at any given output; much longer in the low and middle range.

jslappa

Enlightened
If I have to get my SPY007 on the secondary market, I'd definitely inquire about this upgrade. That XP-G is very efficient, and it sounds like the SSC P4 reflector is near perfect for the XP-G. It's a win-win situation. If any of you have read the book or taken the seminar called "The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People", they call that Synergy!

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
This upgrade is fabulous. Tim did a great job. 50% more lumens, improved throw, much brighter spill, lovely tint, nice beam pattern, and quick turnaround. What more could a flashaholic want? Thanks a bunch Tim.

Surprisingly, while lumens are up by 50% at the top, they are up 100% in the mid-range and over 200% in the low range (unless Tim reprogrammed the light, which I doubt). If I'm interpreting this correctly, under normal use this would translate to longer runtimes at any given output; much longer in the low and middle range.

+1

Here's the way mine shakes out after the upgrade. I had programmed the low as low as I could (I thought) and the high "wide open". I lowered level 2 also. I asked Tim to program level 1 as low as it would go, try and duplicate my old setting for level 2, and have level high wide open - I think 3-5 are default. As you can see, the level 1 with the upgrade is ridiculously low!! I love it - just enough to see at night in a dark house. I find level 3 to be the most useful for my walks in the early morning with my dogs - but level 2 will light the sidewalk right in front of me. 4 doesn't get a lot of use, but 5 and 6 are the 'flamethrowers' that help me see in the distance, or ensure that the occasional car sees me!

"Original", then after the upgrade

0001IN.jpg

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rudi and Dan,

I'm sooo happy to hear you are enjoying your 007's so much!
I finished up both Rudi's and Chipwillis' 007's on the same night and was able to refine my heatsink design further to allow a little extra added mass.

1WRX7 is coming over this weekend to help me move and his 007 will be getting the same treatment at that time.
Since my 005 has the same mod done to it, I think I'm going to hold off on doing my 007 until the next "latest and greatest" emitter comes out.
My 005 was originally one of the rare cree versions, but I swaped the heatsinks and reflectors with my 007 and upgraded the old cree Q2 or Q4 for a Q3-5A for a nicer tint.
Ever since putting the neutral XPG in my 005, the 007 has seen less use and the 005 was carried constantly until my Tri-V came back home.

I'll be getting a few more heatsinks this weekend.
If anyone else is interested in having this mod done, send me a PM or email.
It really does breath new life into the already wonderful 007!

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am indeed enjoying the light. I just keep going back to it - the only thing missing is the long throw - maybe a flood - guess what will take care of that?!:devil:

It is a worthwhile upgrade, for sure!! If I do miss the Tri-V, I'll search for another 007 or 005 and ask you to put an R5 in it!

But let's not miss that Tri V!!

:twothumbs

1wrx7

Enlightened
So last Saturday I went out to help DaFabricata move. We were able to move most of the heavy bulky stuff, and throughout the day he modded my 007 with an XPG. The difference is amazing. Better color and output. The XPG works very well with the McR18S reflector. Since Dave is using the XPG with the McR12 in the Tri-V I wouldn't be surprised if he starts using them in future runs of the 007. This is a great upgrade for an already awsome light. Thanks again Tim!

BTW after we got off the phone I did a PU3 and then changed levels 1,2 and 6. That weird problem is gone. When I get the chance I'll change the other levels and see if I can get it to happen again. I'm betting it was a fluke and it just needed to be reset.

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry about the delay in getting back to you guys...:ohgeez:
Been away from CPF for a bit.
Expect PM's from me in the next few days.:thumbsup:

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been seriously thinking of contacting DaFab to do this mod for me, but I am wondering if it is worth waiting for the new Cree XMs.

I am by no means an expert on which LED works best in which reflector, but the P4 looks to be a larger die LED than the XP-G and I am wondering if this would lend itself to working well with the larger size of the XM die.