DarkTort DT-E1.0 Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, DETAILED PICS, and more!

madi05

Enlightened
i assume this is to compare to the derelight dbs right? so have u had one of these and how do u think it compares or something else similar like the olight m20 or jet m?

thanks for your time
madi05

HitecDrftr

Newly Enlightened
Very nice review selfbuilt. :bow:

What can this thing do in the dark? (Any outdoor beamshots at close, medium, & long ranges against your most relevant contenders?):whistle:

Don't be afraid to chime in sarge, we're all friends here...

-Hitec-

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Re: Hello!

Selfbuilt I hope you don't mind me sticking this on here, if you do just let me know and I will remove it ASAP! No problem. ...
The switch is not so great, and the switch retaining ring's plastic portion is very weak and soft plastic. I took the retaining ring out twice and there is some visible deformation already. I had to take my fingernail and straighten them out so I could get it back together. This needs attention NOW as it is the only weak point in the whole light.
No problem Sarge - the more the merrier here! :)

I agree with your assessment entirely, especially concerning the switch. I had to give them the benefit of doubt, since mine may have been an anomaly, but it seems now like everyone else has the same issue with the tactile feel. And I agree that the plastic retaining ring is a no-no (which is why I mentioned it in my review as well). Hopefully they will soon replace this lower quality part, since it is not in keeping the other high quality components (especially the head/pill).

i assume this is to compare to the derelight dbs right? so have u had one of these and how do u think it compares or something else similar like the olight m20 or jet m?
It doesn't really compare to the DBS (which is a heavy throw light), but it is comparable in beam characteristics to the M20 and Jet-III M. Throw is about the same as those two lights, but I find my beam is smoother with less rings up close. Spill also seems marginally brighter on my DT-E1.0. Of course, the DT-E1.0 is 18650-only ... :whistle:

What can this thing do in the dark? (Any outdoor beamshots at close, medium, & long ranges against your most relevant contenders?):whistle:
Hmm, well, I'm in the middle of snow storm right now, so not sure what I'll be able to photograph outdoors. ;) I'll try to get some medium-range back yard shots soon, but I don't think you'll see much of a difference to the Jet-III M or Olight M20 - the beam is pretty similar.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
IMG_0355.jpg

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Is this light brighter than the eagle tac P10C2 and fenix TK11?
I don't have either light to compare directly, but I would expect them to be in the same range. All these high-end lights are driven pretty maximally, so any difference in overall output would likely be pretty slight.

Elizabeth88

Newly Enlightened
Re: Hello!

Dear All,

As to the issue of the plastic retaining ring, please see our reply in the CPF MarketPlace since I can not post detailed product information here.

Thanks for your understanding!

Best regards,
Elizabeth

No problem Sarge - the more the merrier here! :)

I agree with your assessment entirely, especially concerning the switch. I had to give them the benefit of doubt, since mine may have been an anomaly, but it seems now like everyone else has the same issue with the tactile feel. And I agree that the plastic retaining ring is a no-no (which is why I mentioned it in my review as well). Hopefully they will soon replace this lower quality part, since it is not in keeping the other high quality components (especially the head/pill).

It doesn't really compare to the DBS (which is a heavy throw light), but it is comparable in beam characteristics to the M20 and Jet-III M. Throw is about the same as those two lights, but I find my beam is smoother with less rings up close. Spill also seems marginally brighter on my DT-E1.0. Of course, the DT-E1.0 is 18650-only ... :whistle:

Hmm, well, I'm in the middle of snow storm right now, so not sure what I'll be able to photograph outdoors. ;) I'll try to get some medium-range back yard shots soon, but I don't think you'll see much of a difference to the Jet-III M or Olight M20 - the beam is pretty similar.

xpea

Newly Enlightened
well after long hesitation, I will finally not buy this light now. many things annoy me :
- retaining ring
- switch
- strobe mode
- regulation

I will like also to see quickly updated pill/bezel/emitter to prove the modular concept (aka Dereelight)

But the most important is that they fix the ring and switch in a coming batch + offer/sell the improved parts to the early customers. Reading Darktort answers in the marketplace it's not very clear they plan to fix the E1.0. They are always talking about a fix in a "future product". If they want to gain the respect of this community, they must find a solution for the current model, even if it's by an upgrade that we must pay for. If they do it, I will be extremely happy to get one as it seems a very good product :cool:

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
FYI, I see Elizabeth has just posted in their CPFMP thread here that they have replaced the clicky switch for the DT-E1.0. The new design will apparently be included from now on with all shipping lights.

Hopefully that should improve the feel. :wave:

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
FYI, I see Elizabeth has just posted in their CPFMP thread here that they have replaced the clicky switch for the DT-E1.0. The new design will apparently be included from now on with all shipping lights.

Those who want to check out the DT-E1.0 and will be at the shot show, just come by booth #701 or come to one of the get-togethers :)

xpea

Newly Enlightened

very good news :twothumbs
I hope they have chosen a reliable one as forward clickies are subject to high failure rate.

Only the ring and I will buy one !

DT seems to be very responsive, kudos to them. This start is promising :goodjob:

lightmyway

Newly Enlightened
Possible. Unofficially, DT is line to test experimental techniques. After they've been refined, they'll move to NiteCore for mass consumption :)
Seems that makes those of us who purchased early are Beta Testers,and perhaps that why Darktort encouraged feedback,and were so fast to implement changes.
Its a great light which is fast approaching perfection.
Myself i would like to see them offer a modular system,eg.choice of reflectors, pills, switches which they may very well have in the planning of the big picture.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Possible. Unofficially, DT is line to test experimental techniques. After they've been refined, they'll move to NiteCore for mass consumption :)
Interesting ... thanks for the heads-up David. That would certainly help explain the similarities in packaging and presentation that I noticed. :whistle:

xpea

Newly Enlightened
Finally we see the light :candle: and what a bomb !

First, it confirms that DT is the OEM manufacturer of Nitecore and maybe they are in fact the same company / share same owner.

Second, it's nice to see a brand trying to improve state of art and reacting so quickly at customers feedback, but at same time, it means that customers are beta testers ! not sure that this status deserves positively the brand and the products image :eek:oo: By the other side, Nitecore is the clear winner here as it means that their new technologies/ideas are well tested (by DT) before puting into market.

Finally, I don't know what to think about that, except that it may be very disturbing for the customer... :thinking: