• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

DB917 and R123s

Grubbster

Enlightened
Did some searching and it looks like the DB917 will do fine with a set of 2xR123s. It looks like it will take up to 16V. The only thing I need to watch for is overdischarge. Is this correct?

nexro

Enlightened
Yes, that's right /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I use my DB917 with 2x R123s too. It's time to recharge when your light gets significantly dim or to be on the safe side, remove the batteries and measure the voltage just to make sure. If it's below 2.5V, it's time to recharge.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
If your running them in series, as with the downboy, I'd recommend using protected cells. If you are using unprotected cells, overdischarge is one of the things that you need to watch for. It's also my understanding that you will need to watch for overcharging of one of the cells too. From what I hear, overcharging a li-ion cell can be disastrous.

I also wouldn't wait to see significant dimming. The downboy will continue to regulate as long as the Vin is greater than Vf, which means that a li-ion cell could be killed before the light drops out of regulation.

Latest posts