DBS Aspherical lens, does anyone have it?

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
There was a thread a little while back about the DBS aspherical lens coming out but I haven't heard anyone say anything since. Does anyone have it? What are your thoughts, and likes/dislikes? Was it worth the money? Beamshots? How much more throw does it have vs. SMO? Thanks for any info.

Noobiwan

Newly Enlightened
Outer Galactic Rim Of The Coruscant Star System
I have one, though I do not have any beamshots. I have a 1S R2 pill in the aspheric lens and the throw is quite frankly, ridiculous. Possibly 2 or 3 times the lux reading of an SMO reflector. You can focus the beam, but for maximum effect, you want the hotspot to be "square" shaped. Insane throw. A must have, especially when the new single die, 350-400 lumen pills come out.:devil::devil::devil:
I got mine from Jay (FlashCrazy) www.flashlightconnection.com

5% coupon code: cpf

Last edited:

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one, though I do not have any beamshots. I have a 1S R2 pill in the aspheric lens and the throw is quite frankly, ridiculous. Possibly 2 or 3 times the lux reading of an SMO reflector You can focus the beam, but for maximum effect, you want the hotspot to be "square" shaped. Insane throw. A must have, especially when the new single die, 350-400 lumen pills come out.:devil::devil::devil:

I got my DBS from him as well. Great and fast service. I am glad to hear that it is cool. So you have a lot more throw now and probably almost zero spill, is that correct? Thanks for chiming in, I didn't know if anyone had it since there was no responses until now.

Centropolis

Enlightened
I have one, though I do not have any beamshots. I have a 1S R2 pill in the aspheric lens and the throw is quite frankly, ridiculous. Possibly 2 or 3 times the lux reading of an SMO reflector You can focus the beam, but for maximum effect, you want the hotspot to be "square" shaped. Insane throw. A must have, especially when the new single die, 350-400 lumen pills come out.:devil::devil::devil:

That picture with the aspheric lens on the MC-E is crazy! On the same page, the picture of the single die LED with the aspheric lens seems kind of dim compared to the MC-E one. I would have expected almost as bright but with only one die "projected".

maxilux

Enlightened
The Beam is near the same as the Tiablo A9 with Collimatorhead, you can find much Beamshots. I like it, but it is only for Throw, nothing else.

jahxman

Enlightened
That picture with the aspheric lens on the MC-E is crazy! On the same page, the picture of the single die LED with the aspheric lens seems kind of dim compared to the MC-E one. I would have expected almost as bright but with only one die "projected".

It must just be an artifact of the photography. I have the DBS aspheric, and both R2 and MC-E pills.

The throw with the MC-E is nothing impressive; I think the multi-die LED just doesn't lend itself to the aspheric so well. It is very nice with the OP reflector though, just not so much as a thrower; my TK40 throws better.

The throw with the R2 + aspheric, on the other hand, is just silly bright and tight. I have a line of trees 70 meters from my deck, and it puts a very bright square about 5 meters on a side on those trees. There is some spill in the near ground, but not much at all.

The projected square is still a useful amount of light on another tree line 120 meters away from my deck.

Centropolis

Enlightened
It must just be an artifact of the photography. I have the DBS aspheric, and both R2 and MC-E pills.

The throw with the MC-E is nothing impressive; I think the multi-die LED just doesn't lend itself to the aspheric so well. It is very nice with the OP reflector though, just not so much as a thrower; my TK40 throws better.

The throw with the R2 + aspheric, on the other hand, is just silly bright and tight. I have a line of trees 70 meters from my deck, and it puts a very bright square about 5 meters on a side on those trees. There is some spill in the near ground, but not much at all.

The projected square is still a useful amount of light on another tree line 120 meters away from my deck.

I have both the R2 pill and the MC-E pill. I think if the get this aspheric lens it'll be fun thing to have but it's not very useful I guess. Even if it lights things up 120 metres away, I can't see that far anyway! If you stand 120 metres away from me in total darkness and I shine this thing on you, I can see you there but you might as well be Jennifer Aniston to me.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, let me confirm again. This will throw better with R2 than MC-E? :thinking:

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast

From what I have gathered from everyone about aspheric lenses the answer is a definite yes. A single die emitter(R2) is much better than a multichip emitter(MC-E) in an aspheric setup, and for overall throw in general.

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened

Yes, I have the aspheric lens and both the R2 and MC-E pills. The throw is MUCH MUCH MUCH further with the R2, and the MC-E just looks really goofy.

It is definitely a fun toy, although I keep my standard smooth reflector on most of the time. . .

And I also got mine from Jay. He ships fast, responds to emails quickly, and is just an all-around nice guy.

Last edited:

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I have the aspheric lens and both the R2 and MC-E pills. The throw is MUCH MUCH MUCH further with the R2, and the MC-E just looks really goofy.

It is definitely a fun toy, although I keep my standard smooth reflector on most of the time. . .

And I also got mine from Jay. He ships fast, responds to emails quickly, and is just an all-around nice guy.

Is there any spill with the aspheric, or is it basically laser-like?

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
Inside, against a white wall the spill consists of some rainbow colored rings. But outside,those rings are not really visible and all you see is the tightly focused projection of the square LED

Last edited:

jahxman

Enlightened
Is there any spill with the aspheric, or is it basically laser-like?

There is very little spill; in complete darkness you can see some spill light, but not enought to light things up.

The beam itself is like a fat white laser beam that gets narrower as it goes out then gets wider again, slowly. In a fog or rain you get a lot of spill light from the beam itself being refracted by the droplets in the air.

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
Since this discussion came up today, I screwed the aspheric lens on and went out to play. With tonight's rain, the air is heavy with mist and I could project a very nice bright square on the low clouds overhead. It certainly looked very cool. :)

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since this discussion came up today, I screwed the aspheric lens on and went out to play. With tonight's rain, the air is heavy with mist and I could project a very nice bright square on the low clouds overhead. It certainly looked very cool. :)

HOLY COW! :twothumbs You actually did a cloud bounce with it? That is cool, I wouldn't have thought it would throw that far with the aspheric. Is there usable light out to 250-300 yards or so then?

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got mine today! I fiddled with it a little bit and on my lux meter I was getting a little over 60,000LUX at 1 meter, compared to about 28,000LUX with the smooth reflector.

Nothing overly technical with my testing, just pointing the beam at the lux meter sensor at 1m and moving around to find the most intense spot.

Can't wait to try it out doors. Also the lux meter's rubber cap for the sensor fits over the DBS's bezel to protect the lens. :)

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's cool WadeF! You have to let us know how it goes once you get it out in the dark. Do you have more than 1 DBS, where you will be able to A/B compare? Thanks for the info.

lightforce2

Enlightened
Just imagine what the lux meter would show if your DBS had an R2 WH pill in it being driven at about 1600ma, I rekon if you had an old spare pill it would be worth upgrading the pill with a newer emitter & then direct driving it

I've tweaked a Tiablo A9 aspheric to that spec & then compared side by side with a standard A9/A8 aspheric with Q5 emitters
:wow: is all I can say!!

cheers