DCD charger with LCD capacity indicator_Designed and made in china

ShanghaiAndy

Newly Enlightened
Handlobraesing :

i dont understand how could a man could act like you. arent you bored? why be so dull to reiterated one thing again ,again and again?

ok, we dont have the UL yet. and we are still saling it. ok? are you satisfacted?

so what?

I am a man of good temper , but i can still not understand why you speak again again.

And maybe i know the real purpose of you. KAI is saling it at a faster and faster pace, so are you angry?

why not crawl back to the hole where you belong to ,and stop pretending to care about out products's quality?

Turbo DV8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Handlobraesing said:
To those considering purchase, you may want to keep in mind that:

At home:
Home owner's/fire insurance may have limitations on insurance payout on matters caused by malfuction of non-UL listed appliances ... To ensure the safety of everyone and to protect common property, the lease agreement or campus safety regulations may explicitly PROHIBIT the use of non-UL listed appliances ... The use of non-UL listed product may violate company policy, lease agreement or insurance policy.

Yes, all these are very important points to consider when purchasing any electronic product ... and all these points have been previously made several times in this thread about the DSD charger.

...and not everyone realize the implication of non-UL listed appliances and I think they have the right to be informed.

Yes, absolutely agreed. And if "everyone" is the target audience, this message would be heard by many, many more people if this discussion were continued in the Cafe under a thread with "UL Listing Warning" stated in the title, instead of :dedhorse: here.

Last edited:
ShanghaiAndy said:
Handlobraesing :

i dont understand how could a man could act like you. arent you bored? why be so dull to reiterated one thing again ,again and again?

You keep insisting about your product being "good quality" and "bad thing will not happen" "perfect" and myriads of superlatives, but have yet to provide a straight answer regarding liability.

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
Andy, test it (5 minutes contact with a candle flame, like in the videos). You want to avoid using plastic that will catch fire quickly and burn if there is an internal short or overheating, while it has lithium batteries inside it --- right? Or when a lithium battery fails and burns inside it.

Learn from the people -- the ones who made mistakes in the past. Battery chargers get particular attention because they're known to start fires. Example article here:
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/bonus/qa/2001-04-19-fire.htm

Bad things happen to perfectly good products. Your charger has to handle expected failure modes.

Enough.

Talk to us about how it detects full charge.
Talk to us about how it turns off the charging current when a cell is fully charged.
Tell us why you do or don't continue to trickle-charge a cell.

Every manufacturer and designer I've ever seen show up at CPF gets a _lot_ of good suggestions,
and many of them improve what they're building. It's part of what this place offers you.

Last edited:

dulridge

Enlightened
hank said:
Andy, test it (5 minutes contact with a candle flame, like in the videos). You want to avoid using plastic that will catch fire quickly and burn if there is an internal short or overheating, while it has lithium batteries inside it --- right? Or when a lithium battery fails and burns inside it.

Talk to us about how it detects full charge.
Talk to us about how it turns off the charging current when a cell is fully charged.
Tell us why you do or don't continue to trickle-charge a cell.

The manufacturer can hardly be held responsible for stupidity. Putting lithium batteries in a charger designed for nickel batteries is unlikely to accomplish anything good - at least they are not likely to go boom (voltage too low) - but since protected or unprotected Li cells are not terribly compatible with personal safety at the best of times...

One does have choices and must be prepared to take responsibility for them... It says clearly in the manual that this charger is for NiCd and NiMH cells and does not say that it is suitable for anything else. So attempts to use other types are at your own responsibility.

UL or whatever is not the point here. Technically, this charger is illegal for sale (but not use) in the EU as it is not CE marked. No amounts of UL marking will do any good in the EU.

Knowing this, I still bought and use one. The corollary of this is that I am aware of this and must accept the consequences of so doing. So if you don't like this - don't buy it. Simple.

Has it ever been claimed that it bore such marks? Hence caveat emptor.

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
Regardless, since lithiums do fail, it'd be good to know if the charger supports or deters the fire, eh?

Tell us how it handles current after a cell reaches a desired voltage --- does the charger cut off power to each cell or trickle charge? one at a time?

bbf

Newly Enlightened
Handlobraesing said:
Listing means everything. Fire insurance policies, organization safety policies as well as personal safety.

Yep, we get the point. Stop bashing the manufacturer. You should be going after the distributors/retailers that are illegally importing non-approved electrical devices. It's the importer that's responsible for ensuring the goods they import carry the proper local safety approvals.

Note that CSA electrical approval also counts and is recognized in the US as being equivalent to UL approval for insurance and public safety purposes.

crislight01

Newly Enlightened
Interesting discussion, I just bought a maha C 9000 i would like to know does the maha have some system to detect when cells are way too hot or will it keep charging them? and :poof: , does it have that sort of security system?

Turbo DV8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is this right? $40 for the LaCrosse? was that a one-time special, or what? right now it's $69. Is it likely to be seen for $40 again?

It's on "sale" on Amazon right now for $54. I also noted several months ago that the price of the BC-900 rose sharply after a long stint around the $40 range. My guess is La Crosse got a bit big for their britches when the Maha Wizard 1 came out in the $80 price range. The timing of the occurrence of the BC-900 price increase and the new price point would seem to support this theory. Either that, or La Crosse had to increase the price on the BC-900 to pay for all the BC-900 meltdown tort lawsuits! :rolleyes: Glad I bought my three before the Maha came out.

AlexLED

Enlightened
Hi Andy,
seems like pretty sophisticated charger ! :)
can you comment on the full-charge detection ? I suppose this is done via negative delta-voltage ?
What is the threshold ?
What is the precision of the a/d converter ?