[DEAL] Astrolux S42, S42S, S42SC 4*Nichia 219C/XP-G2/XP-G3 2023lm Flashlight

Wurkkos

freeme

Enlightened
Vendor
Re: [PRE-ORDER DISCOUNT] Astrolux S42 (2017) 4*Nichia 219C/XP-G2/XP-G3 2023lm Flashli

Pre-order for stainless steel version has started.

Duramarks

Newly Enlightened
Ok, I went to order a nichia version. I can't order one because it's not in stock. will I be able to use this codewhen they're back in stock?

schuster

Newly Enlightened
Just received my XP-G3 version from the Banggood pre-order and it's DOA.

The length of the battery tube seems to be slightly off and I managed to damage (flatten the bulge on the negative end) of a Nitecore 18350 trying to tighten it fully (hope the battery is still safe to keep around!) I then tried other batteries, including a 16340, and an unprotected 18650 using the S1/S41 long battery tube - NOTHING would fit completely, and no signs of life from the flashlight, period.

The battery + spring in the head is soldered off-center and somewhat "crunched"; I managed to expand the coils slightly with a screwdriver so that it pops up more properly; unfortunately it does not make it work.

I then tried bypassing the tailcap with a paper clip between the battery and the battery tube, and it still would not power up.

The problem is that the *front* (emitter) end of the battery tube is too short (or the threads in the head are too long), so it never touches the brass contact ring on the board itself. I proved that by screwing the battery tube in *backwards* so that it made contact, and then I was able to get it to power up using the paper clip bridge on the negative side.

Inserting a circular shim in *front* of the battery tube (a coiled piece of paper clip, wedged against the walls of the head), just behind of the emitter board, yields a working flashlight which can also be tightened without further compression damage to the battery. This is clearly a design/fabrication issue, and I told Banggood in my latest email. Awaiting a response.

Ah, the bleeding edge....

Last edited:

freeme

Enlightened
Vendor
There is indeed some problem with their new S42. Have you contacted their customer service yet?

freedailydeals-post-cover-1080px-ASTROLUX-S42-01.jpg

I received mine today and it does not work out from the box with NITECORE IMR18350 too. However, i did manage to get it work with my Astrolux S41 SS extension tube with 18650. Banggood is currently working on this problem, stay tuned for their announcement.

Just received my XP-G3 version from the Banggood pre-order and it's DOA.

The length of the battery tube seems to be slightly off and I managed to damage (flatten the bulge on the negative end) of a Nitecore 18350 trying to tighten it fully (hope the battery is still safe to keep around!) I then tried other batteries, including a 16340, and an unprotected 18650 using the S1/S41 long battery tube - NOTHING would fit completely, and no signs of life from the flashlight, period.

The battery + spring in the head is soldered off-center and somewhat "crunched"; I managed to expand the coils slightly with a screwdriver so that it pops up more properly; unfortunately it does not make it work.

I then tried bypassing the tailcap with a paper clip between the battery and the battery tube, and it still would not power up.

The problem is that the *front* (emitter) end of the battery tube is too short (or the threads in the head are too long), so it never touches the brass contact ring on the board itself. I proved that by screwing the battery tube in *backwards* so that it made contact, and then I was able to get it to power up using the paper clip bridge on the negative side.

Inserting a circular shim in *front* of the battery tube (a coiled piece of paper clip, wedged against the walls of the head), just behind of the emitter board, yields a working flashlight which can also be tightened without further compression damage to the battery. This is clearly a design/fabrication issue, and I told Banggood in my latest email. Awaiting a response.

Ah, the bleeding edge....

freeme

Enlightened
Vendor
Banggood announcement
Hello Guys,
First of all, thank you very much for your support all the time, besides, on behalf of banggood, deeply apologize for the inconvenience to all of you.

About the problems of S42 you mentioned above, we advice you do as follow now:

1. The tube can only works only with unprotected flat top cells, please stop testing the s42 with 18350 or the 16340 with protection, Astrolux is testing and try to find out where the problem comes from.
2. We give solutions to solve this problem within 48 hours, the S42 is temporarily off sale now, we will try our best to perfect the after-sale problem.
3. If you already ordered one but have not shippied, please don't worry, we will ship to you until the problems was sloved, send you a new S42 without any problems.

Really sorry for the trouble, we will do better in the future.Thank you for understanding!

Best Regards,
Swi

freeme

Enlightened
Vendor
Repost.

Hello Dear friends,

Sorry for the delay, now we give a solution for S42 problems:

After Verified by the manufacturer,the length of the tube is too short and it can’t compatible with most length of 18350 and 16340 protection cells and button top cell, the manufacturer adjusted the tube length and they verified the 40 mm tube will solve the problem and allow most cells to be used without the danger to damage it, including the 18350 and 16340 cells. At the same time, they also modified the design of the USB silicone cover.

Any problems, please contact our CS, we will send you a free 40mm tube and USB silicone cover, you can replace it yourself. Please send E-mail to [email protected], don’t forget to include your order number, thank you.
By the way.S42 and s42s will use 40 mm tube and the latest USB silicone cover. The s42 now has been sent back to the factory repair, thank you for your understanding and support, we will try our best to do well in the after-sales service.

Best Regards,
Banggood Flashlights Team

thegameisrigged

Newly Enlightened
How do you switch between mode groups? I may sell mine. It is just kind of junky compared to my E14. The beam has terrible artifacts and it does not handle heat very well. Did they switch to a different TIR lens? I could deal with those things but the UI is a deal breaker and I can't find details about it.

freeme

Enlightened
Vendor
How do you switch between mode groups? I may sell mine. It is just kind of junky compared to my E14. The beam has terrible artifacts and it does not handle heat very well. Did they switch to a different TIR lens? I could deal with those things but the UI is a deal breaker and I can't find details about it.
Double click when light is OFF.

schuster

Newly Enlightened
The beam has terrible artifacts and it does not handle heat very well. Did they switch to a different TIR lens?

Someone on CPF has worked this out.
The beam artifacts are due to the fact that the TIR assembly is not fully seated on the emitter PCB but is floating almost 1mm above it.
IIRC it's because the PCB mounting screws are in the way; if you start hacking away at the plastic edges of the TIR assembly to allow it to sit flush, the beam pattern is just fine.

Latest posts