Dealextreme DX 3W CREE "NEW"!!!!!!!!

Effulgence

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone current have that 3W Cree 18650 in their hands now? What's the size compared to, say, a MiniMag?

Is DX's Ultrafire Charger, older, newer, or the same as the one AW is selling?

Seems like a good deal on the torch and chargers ... :whistle:

zigziggityzoo

Newly Enlightened
Effulgence said:
Does anyone current have that 3W Cree 18650 in their hands now? What's the size compared to, say, a MiniMag?

Is DX's Ultrafire Charger, older, newer, or the same as the one AW is selling?

Seems like a good deal on the torch and chargers ... :whistle:

it was just announced yesterday. DX takes up to 2 weeks to ship. We'll most likely see reviews soon after that.

tc535i

Newly Enlightened
Interesting. Do either of them have multiple levels?

I have a cree in a fifthunit light I bought for $27 running an 18650... I'm doing my best not to get another. ;)

I just bought that U2 knockoff (18650, K2 led) from DE too... I wish I had known they were coming out with a similar style cree lite, I would have gotten that instead! Oh well, this one has a softer beam, I should get it just because I don't have a textured reflector light... yeah, that's why I need it...!!

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the smaller one, nicer beam too so far.
The "u2 look alike" doesn't look as nice, but is 2 stage..

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
stockae92 said:
is the DX 3W Cree fully regulated?
From the description, it sounds like it is a buck convertor. It drops the voltage from the battery down to the level the LED needs. It doesn't boost. It probably also introduces a certain amount of voltage drop. So, your battery has to be at least the voltage of the Vf of the LED plus the drop introduced by the convertor. Typically, when buck convertors fall out of regulation, they go into direct drive.

Is that what you would consider "fully regulated"?

jashhash

Enlightened
if it's really 10,000 lux then that's some amazing throw, out-throwing even a 4D maglight. I dont see how it's possible to throw that far using an LED in such a small orange peeled reflector. It could be that he's measuring the lux reading at 3 feet rather than 1 meter.

Last edited:

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ty_Bower said:
From the description, it sounds like it is a buck convertor.

I'm guessing it's linear regulator (LDO maybe) since those are much lower priced to begin with and usually require less ancillary passives to run well resulting in further cost savings. If it's a linear regulator, a 3.7V would be best as anything higher would just waist more energy as heat.

I'm digging the U2 Cree clone, but prefer the beam of the DX light...hmmm. I was planning on picking up a Lill, but maybe one of these instead (I hope it's not both...well, at least my wallet and wife do).

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
zigziggityzoo said:
it was just announced yesterday. DX takes up to 2 weeks to ship. We'll most likely see reviews soon after that.
From their website they claim 5 day shipping, and request that these lights be ordered separately. I think what they normally do is have to order and package the lights from their own vendors before resending them. Sicne these were done in-house though, I presume they are pre-packaged and ready to go as soon as they are ordered.

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
2xTrinity said:
From their website they claim 5 day shipping, and request that these lights be ordered separately. I think what they normally do is have to order and package the lights from their own vendors before resending them. Sicne these were done in-house though, I presume they are pre-packaged and ready to go as soon as they are ordered.

They don't claim 5 day shipping. It says ships in 5 days. Sounds to me like it doesn't leave for 5 days after you place your order.

chanamasala

Enlightened
The descriptions say both have High/Low beams as of the time of this posting. Temp/output graphs up too.

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nake said:
They don't claim 5 day shipping. It says ships in 5 days. Sounds to me like it doesn't leave for 5 days after you place your order.

Yep, that's correct. Many of their items say x days to ship, usually arrives in 14 days...or something like that.

luminari

Newly Enlightened
I'm totally hoping they revise it to have a lower "low" output mode... I'll probably buy a few if they can pull that off. I've changed my thinking regarding a higher high mode: 950 mA at 3.6 volts is pretty much the limit of the Crees, right? I'm assuming they measured that draw at the LED.

Last edited:

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nake said:
Ok, my mistake there. You are right, then the reason they don't want you to order that with other things is they don't want it to delay your order by a few extra days. I think I may have been getting this mixed up with KaiDomain that is planning to ship their Rex Light directly by USPS from WA to North American buyers.

Last edited:

Kid9P

Flashlight Enthusiast
DX 3W Cree 18650 CR123A Flashlight

Damn, just ordered one.
No more CPF for me after midnight...LOL