Decent 2AA Light at Academy

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
"Versalite All Purpose" 2AA $4.88. (Like a Dorcy 2AA)

Initially it wouldn't focus for crap. The head was WAY loose. I tossed the o-ring and teflon taped it good. Then removed the bezel and tweaked the bulb around until centered. Pretty nice spot with nice reach for 2AA!

Beats the pants off my 2AA Sears (Dorcy) mag copy.

Both have non-momentary switches. The Versalite is MUCH brighter and WAY smoother of beam!!!

Just tried against my 2AA Mini Mag and while MM is a smidge brighter, Versa is way nicer beam.

Also tried against $2.99 with batteries Greatneck 2AA from Autozone. GN is a smidge brighter but Versa is WAY nicer beam!

Now I just can't wait for my Madmax Sandwich to arrive!

Ratso

Enlightened
I like the cheap 2AA (Garrity or Rayovac) lights that are rubberized and use PR bulbs. Use a 2D Xenon bulb for high intensity, or a Krypton .5 or .35 a for long burn, or a PR LED bulb for ultra long burn. You can also tweak the PR bulbs (which you seem to be great at) to achieve decemt beam focus. WriteRight is a great help too. I wonder why anyone can't produce a Mini Mag copy that uses PR bulbs and has a tail switch. Couple it with a textured reflector, focusing head, annodized aluminum, and you would have an awesome light.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Rubberized Garrity or Rayovac 2AA?

Garrity 2AAs I have are plastic (1) and G-Tech mostly plastic with rubber grip (1).

The rubber lites I have Dorcy Boss (1) and No-Name with smooth reflector (1) do make decently bright light.

A 2D bulb will draw enough from 2AA Alkys or Liths to be noticeably bright???? This calls for more experimentation!!!

Ratso

Enlightened
Oops, sorry, I have a LUMILITE 2AA rubberized. It has a horrible beam but it can run a 2D Xenon for at least an hour.

Latest posts