decent hot sauce

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Eric Maier said:
Let me ask you "hot sauce" afficianados (spelling?) a question. Do you find any real flavor in these extreme hot sauces? I've tried them and the only thing I can sense is "heat" and not any flavor. I love hot sauces and spicy foods but there is a point where flavor ends and nothing but a heat sensation begins for me.

Anybody else notice this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Eric,

For the super-hot chemical extract hot sauces, like Dave's Insanity and that class, I think (as I said above) basically what it tastes like is solvents with some other stuff thrown in. I have a hard time believing most people use those hot sauces for the taste; rather, they are all addicts after their hit of endorphins /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

All the pepper-based sauces have a taste for me. Or rather, they do now. When I first started eating hot sauces, I noticed anytime a sauce was too hot, all I could detect was the heat. As I descended into an endorphin-addicted drug addict, and my tolerance grew, I found that I could taste the peppers and other ingredients. I love the taste of fresh jalapenos, habaneros, etc. One trick is to try to get a fresh sauce: the flavors lose all their crispness after sitting in a jar for too long.

Joe