Decent midrange protected 18650s

bose301s

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for some decent midrange protected 1850s like the title says, something better and more trustworthy than Ultrafure or Trustfire but something cheaper than AW. I currently am running Tenergy cells which seem to be a decent compromise but am wondering if there's anything better in the midrange market out there. Overall I think this could help a lot of people so any and all suggestions are appreciated.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
trustfire 2400 with flames on wrapper, and tenergy are decent midrange cells, there are no other cells between them and aw\redilast.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I've found the Tenergies to be fine.

EagleTac's new cells got decent reviews.

Redilasts and Callies Kustoms are what I use mostly though....Redilasts show up so fast that if I post an order, I get the cells the next day sometimes...very handy when I have inbound lights and need more cells, etc.

I base some of the choices on what amps the lights they'll be in draw...some of the cheaper cells don't have the juice for the higher amp set-ups, but might run great on low amp systems, etc.

bose301s

Newly Enlightened
So basically there's 2 levels of batteries, AW, Readilast and Callie's then there's everyone else I.e. the ****fires, Energy etc.

aimxplode

Enlightened
Eagletac 18650s got great reviews. They use the exact same Panasonic cell as AW or Redilast. I picked up a pair a few weeks ago. Illuminationgear has them for around $15 shipped, which is about as midranged as you can get.

aimxplode

Enlightened
Well, these http://www.amazon.com/Tenergy-Cylindrical-2600mAh-Rechargeable-Battery/dp/B001JDRPXM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1331321074&sr=8-2
s
eem to be decent and cheaper than the $15 even, but again I do not fully know the quality, but I have heard they aren't terrible but aren't great either.

The problem with the Tenergy is the cell behind the wrapper. You don't know what it is, might as well get the trustfires if you feel like gambling.

With Eagletac, AW, Callie's, and Redilast, if you peel off the wrapper and remove the protection, you can see that they are all built around the same cell, which is the Panasonic NCR18650.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Also, you might find that 3100 mAh runs longer in the light than 2600 mAh, etc.

The Redilasts and Callies and EagleTacs and AW for example are not that much more for peace of mind.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just picked up two NEW genuine EagleTac protected 3100s (Pannie cells) for $20.39 (sale price, $13.49 regular price) delivered. I've gotten them both up to 4.19v on my new WP2 II charger, although one charged a bit lower than that, the first two cycles.

Check out Ebay.

CalliesKustom sells their 3100s on Ebay as well, $16ea plus $6 s/h.

Chris

bose301s

Newly Enlightened
The problem with the Tenergy is the cell behind the wrapper. You don't know what it is, might as well get the trustfires if you feel like gambling.

With Eagletac, AW, Callie's, and Redilast, if you peel off the wrapper and remove the protection, you can see that they are all built around the same cell, which is the Panasonic NCR18650.

Ok, so Tenergy and Trustfire just buy the cheapest cells they can and put their wrapper on them where the others use Panasonic cells which from what I am gathering here are pretty much the top of the line cells.

Also, you might find that 3100 mAh runs longer in the light than 2600 mAh, etc.

The Redilasts and Callies and EagleTacs and AW for example are not that much more for peace of mind.

3100mah should run longer, lol.

bose301s

Newly Enlightened
Now to find the places with the best prices on all of these batteries, lol.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast

Redilast and AW are pretty much price fixed at $19.75 per 3100 cell, according to my research. You might get free shipping, or shipping at a discount, but it's interesting to see the pricing so uniform across the board.

Their 2900s are a dollar cheaper, so I would just step up to the 3100s.

You can find the 2600s for ~$15ish, but for me, it was worth spending a few more bucks and getting the 3100s.

CalliesKustom sells direct, so $17/3100 cell, is a bit less than the two above, but $6 to ship a single battery is a tad high IMO. I never emailed them to ask if it was the same price to ship two, if so, that's $20 per cell delivered.

Honestly, that's in the same ball park, give or take a couple of quarters, as the AW/Redilasts.

My EagleTac deal was a good one, but I took a gamble. The CPF Marketplace is a good place to start. AW has a delaer here in Miami/New York, so he's getting good marks for service. I know www.lighthound.com sells AWs and Redilasts, so try him out.

Chris

Last edited:

aimxplode

Enlightened

I got my Eagletac 3100mAh's at IlluminationGear for about $15 shipped. They give you an 8% discount if you mention your CPF username and they give you a free case for every 2 cells you order.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Callies doesn't charge the same for shipping per cell if getting more than one.

I got 18 cells from Callies a few days ago, and the shipping was $6 for the entire box.

:D

aimxplode

Enlightened
Callies doesn't charge the same for shipping per cell if getting more than one.

I got 18 cells from Callies a few days ago, and the shipping was $6 for the entire box.

:D

Woah, how do you keep track (discharge, voltages) of all those cells?

bose301s

Newly Enlightened
Ok, based on the charts the Redilast and Callies Kustoms look best, with AW and EagleTac a close second. Callies are priced the best when looking at them so may buy some of them. The question is will the 1mm top work with batteries in series, i.e. will positive touch negative or is it too deep in the top or will I need the button tops to use batteries in series.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I do keep track...plus of the other coupla dozen cells on top of those, etc.

:devil:

The Callies have a ~ 1mm raised +, so they work together fine.

bose301s

Newly Enlightened
I do keep track...plus of the other coupla dozen cells on top of those, etc.

:devil:

The Callies have a ~ 1mm raised +, so they work together fine.

Awesome, I have the Tenergy button tops now and have had to ghetto rig them to connect in my BC40.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast

sure you do, it is tenergy cell, i've been buying them for few years, all consistent quality, not a gamble.

Latest posts