decent sharpener

Metatron

Banned
hi lads, am looking for a sharpener, prob is that most of my knives have uneven surfaces so my lansky deluxe doesnt hold them evenly. what r u guys using as i assume u have the same issue?
cheers:)

CLHC

Flashaholic
The Spyderco Sharpmaker is a very good one.

Now depending on how much you want to spend, here's what I think (in my opinion) is the creme-de-la-creme of knife sharpeners:

http://edgeproinc.com/

Check it out!

Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast

Now depending on how much you want to spend, here's what I think (in my opinion) is the creme-de-la-creme of knife sharpeners:

Check it out!

+1. The sharpmaker is great for maintaining and the edgepro is great for reprofiling and keeping a precise angle.

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Spyderco Triangle Sharpmaker

I've got one of those Spyderco Triangles. It's old and only has the 40 degree (I think) setting. The newer Sharpmaker has both 30 and 40 degree settings for the ceramic rods.

Last edited:

Metatron

Banned

Check it out!

ok, have found the only dealer this side of the world, who happens to reside 5 clicks from me, so im gonna have to bust my kids piggy bank wide open for this:)

CLHC

Flashaholic
ok, have found the only dealer this side of the world, who happens to reside 5 clicks from me, so im gonna have to bust my kids piggy bank wide open for this:)
Now cool is that? Which one are you going for?

At one of the local gatherings I've been to in my neck of the woods, three (3) knife makers said they love using the EdgePro. Though I don't know if they use if for the knives they sell. I only remembered the name of one of the knife maker--BEGG. :oops: Was I suppose to say that? :sssh:

:wave:

Josey

Flashlight Enthusiast
You done good, 84. The EdgePro is cool, but it takes space and time to set up and is messy. And it doesn't work well on all types of knives (sabre grinds with distal tapering).

The Sharpmaker is much easier. Just make sure that the angle you choose (30 or 40 degrees) matches your knife's edge angle. If it doesn't, you'll have to reprofile your knife's edge.

A lot of people think you can't use a Sharpmaker to reprofile, but you can and it's easy. You can buy a diamond rod for one of the slots. Or, you can hold a flat diamond sharpener against the ceramic rods and you'll have the correct sharpening/profiling angle for a vertical stroke. Or, you can wrap the ceramic rods with wet/dry sandpaper of the appropriate grit for reprofiling.

Metatron

Banned
Now cool is that? Which one are you going for?

At one of the local gatherings I've been to in my neck of the woods, three (3) knife makers said they love using the EdgePro. Though I don't know if they use if for the knives they sell. I only remembered the name of one of the knife maker--BEGG. :oops: Was I suppose to say that? :sssh:

:wave:

apex no 3, pick it up 2night:)

shuter

Enlightened
The key to producing a sharp durable edge on your knife lies in the ability to maintain a specific angle while sharpening. Any of the rod guided sharpeners will produce superior edges. Lansky is about forty dollars and I have been using one for twenty five years. I am a fanitic about sharp edges on my knives. There can be an issue maintaining solid grip on the blade if there is a great deal of taper on the spine. When dealing with this issue, tighten the blade as tight as possible in the jig and use light pressure on the stone. Your blade is really sharp if you lay the edge on your finger nail at abour forty five degrees, try and slide it off the nail. When really sharp the edge will stick rather than slide.

Metatron

Banned
well folks, picked up my edge pro apex, it really is a grand piece of equipment, i will give it a go tomorrow as my g/f requires a hone and polish first;)

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Edge Pro systems do look neat even though there are a lot of parts to the full system.

Here's a trick for those who use Lansky systems and have knives that are a little varies in edge thickness. To hold the blade firmly use thin pieces of cardboard between the blade and the jaws of the clamp. Saves marring the blade and can improve the grip of the clamp. Just be sure the blade is firmly in the clamp since wobble is a bad thing.

One other note -- I would be careful of using leather instead of cardboard for this since the dyes used on some leather are acidic and could get you on the way to starting pits or rust on the knife.

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had an EdgePro, but I sold it and bought a Sharpmaker.

Well, I had a Sharpmaker, put it in my draw and bought an Edge-Pro Apex......In the next few minutes I will be sharpening my new Emerson CQC 14 Snubby using the Apex. I carry the Apex with me on overseas trips to keep my working cutlery in good shape. :)

ConfederateScott

Enlightened
I gave up on sharpening my pocket knife years ago. Benchmade re-sharpens it every couple of months for $7 (including shipping). For the kitchen knives I have one of the Samauri Sharks that BILLY MAYS hollers about on TV. It's a piece of crap but my wife bought it a Wal-Mart and I don't want to hurt her feelings by not using it.