dedomed LEDs more vulnerable to water or moist air?

Inova his head

Newly Enlightened
I've no real reason to suppose that it would, but it sort of seems like it might do. Can anyone shed any light (buh-dum tish) on this?

Tom

James3

Enlightened
Nope, not at all, if you have a light that is IPX8 it won't let water in anyway, so if the emitter is sealed in the head there should be no problems, as for it being vunrable if it gets water or moist air gets in if it's not in a light, I don't know but would say no, due to some people using petrol to de dome which is obviously moisture on the die.
I think it Depends on the situation, but in a light a de domed emitter will not have a problem. And I have never had any problems.

Inova his head

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your reply. I guess I was thinking in terms of condensation and the like inside the light, or just leaving it open to the air. I know they're petrol-proof but if an thinking of some form of oxidation from water itself?

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Thanks for your reply. I guess I was thinking in terms of condensation and the like inside the light, or just leaving it open to the air. I know they're petrol-proof but if an thinking of some form of oxidation from water itself?

The dome is not to protect the LED, its to distribute the light differently. There are LED with no domes for example.

:D

James3

Enlightened
I doubt it, I've had de-domed lights out in all weather and condensation has never affected them, I think any water/condensation that would be there would be evaporated when the light is turned on (that's not a scientific explanation, just my opinion!) but even my de domed triples all work fine, so if they were going to fail I think they would have by now, but if they do just stick a new emitter in! Aha

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I doubt it, I've had de-domed lights out in all weather and condensation has never affected them, I think any water/condensation that would be there would be evaporated when the light is turned on (that's not a scientific explanation, just my opinion!) but even my de domed triples all work fine, so if they were going to fail I think they would have by now, but if they do just stick a new emitter in! Aha

LOL

Yeah, I have more dedomed than domed now IIRC, and NONE has ever had a problem like that....and that's with me out in the weather doing disaster response, etc.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have never lost a dedomed led to anything other than mechanical damage.
the light its in will protect it from that.i have seen water in a xml2 dedomed light and led made it.
i wouldnt worry about it as the led will be obsolete and in "need" of upgrade long before it degrades.