DEFT edc-X

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, I finally got mine. The package was spotted in different places in the US, then in Tokyo, and was eventually brought to my door at 2am (!) by a local 24x7 delivery service. The delivery man nearly stormed my front door cause he failed to spot the door bell in the darkness.

Anyway, this light is just in a totally different category, like nothing else. I would say that I felt somewhat uneasy after spending that much on a light that was not expected to be useful at all. It is not that I hadnt spent that much on lights, I EDC a LunaSol 20 which is a $700+ light, but spending almost that much on a toy.. Well, I am glad I did. Thanks MIke for making such an incredible product. I will be posting pictures side by side with ZRayVN that had been my "long range" aspherical. Pretty amazing comparison.

Capolini

Banned
^^^^^

That is not a fair comparison!! lol!

a pocket sized aspheric ~ 60/70Kcd and the deft edc-x ~ 400Kcd!

I had the zrayvn for ~ 3 days and sent it back,,,,,,,,too cheap too many artifacts[rings]!

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very interesting light indeed. Very different one from any other light I had. First, I can clearly see the spot up to 100m during a reasonably cloudy day. This is amazing. At night, despite the heavy light pollution of the big city I can illuminate a target hundreds meters away. So the wow factor is here!

Now some other observations.

When the air is not pefectly clean the column of light interfers with the target so beyond say 300m I have difficulties to see the target. This is a very unexpected effect of the great throw.

In the abscense of any ambient light there is no real use for this light if you dont know beforehand where is your target. The spot is so small and sharp that I have troubles to identify what exactly I see. On the other hand, if there is anyone there, 500m away, he has no isea you are going to lit him until he gets the blast of light.

The spot is about 1/2 of the field of view of my 14x binoculars. So thus far the best real use of this light is in combination with 10+ binoculars and here the light really *shines* :)

The tint of the dedomed LED is really great for outdoors. I specifically discussed this matter with MIke as I detest cool lights for outdoors, but in reality the tint is even better than I could expect from Mike's explanation.

Finally, I am amazed how well Mike had managed to paint the interiors black. Almost no stray light at all, and this is critically important for me. Before Mike had assured me that he would be able to reach perfection in this regard, I was hesitant to buy this light. And I can tell you that this amended version with blackened interiors is truly perfect!

BTW Capolini, I could remove most of the artifacts from zrayvn by paiting everything black just by a black Sharpie. Pretty satisfactory results. But not comparable to what Mike was able to do in the DEFT.

Capolini

Banned
ma tumba said:BTW Capolini, I could remove most of the artifacts from zrayvn by paiting everything black just by a black Sharpie. Pretty satisfactory results. But not comparable to what Mike was able to do in the DEFT.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Isn't that what the sand blasted bezel was suppose to do?! Good idea on your part if it worked!

I will stick to my OSTS TN31mb[470Kcd],M2Xvn[300Kcd]TK75vn[350Kcd],TK61vn[780Kcd]ect.!!

I do have my Minicreevn[sipik] zoomie that is 80Kcd!,field tested.

Last edited:

vinceca2000

Newly Enlightened
I just received mine today. Damm took forever to figure out how to turn it on. I had to really tighten the tail cap. I accidentally adjusted the original setting while I was playing with it. As turn counter clockwise I noticed the focus went from yellowish tint to white. Going clockwise it went back to yellow.
What are you guys leaving it at?

star_c_star

Enlightened
I have a DEFT edc-X (non enthusiast) rated at 391 Kcd, which is pretty high.

Currently, I am awaiting a DEFT-edc-X enthusiast, and a second REV Victor Enthusiast.

If Michael sends me a new front lens for the DEFT edc-X (non enthusiast), it will become around 421 Kcd, but will still have the minor beam artifacts.

I haven't received shipping notices for either flashlight, but I'm not too worried about it. He'll get to them after he finishes the ones ordered before mine.

Minimoog

Enlightened
AW button top 18350 batteries require much force on the tailcap. To alleviate this I used a steel washer and filed and then used my Minicraft until it was exactly the same profile as the end of the body tube, including the alignment notch. This then slips into the tailcap and now AW cells work with without having to use force. If you plan on regularly using AW's I highly recommend this. You won't need to remove it to use 18650 batteries which is a bonus.

DSC_0326.JPG
https://www.dropbox.com/s/j6ilcixm8qbi8b4/DSC_0326.JPG?dl=0

Last edited:

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have owned this light for quite a long time and can now draw some conclusions. This is one of the most useless and at the same time the coolest lights I have ever had. Almost every night I pull it out of the drawer to illuminate some very distant objects and admire, again, this techological achievement. Definitely in the never sell category despite the hefty price.

Offgridled

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have owned this light for quite a long time and can now draw some conclusions. This is one of the most useless and at the same time the coolest lights I have ever had. Almost every night I pull it out of the drawer to illuminate some very distant objects and admire, again, this techological achievement. Definitely in the never sell category despite the hefty price.

I want one more now:) :drooling: