DEFT-X OMG Strikes Back!!!

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I wonder how much more lux this is than Waiven's own light?

I'm guessing its night and day...I don't think more than a handful of experts has actually implemented RLT to its true potential, and most of THOSE are here on CPF. :D

From what I've read...the theory was quite sound, but its hard to DO. The many lights advertising it "had it" but it didn't DO much. :D

------------

Just snipped this from Saab's verbiage:

RLT™ is Wavien's Recycling Light Technology. It allows for the use of light that would otherwise be wasted in an optical system such as the DEFT-X's. The light that would hit the sidewalls of the flashlight and die is instead reflected back at the LED until it exits the aperture and passes through the lens where it is then collimated into the beam. The net effect is a more intense beam than would otherwise be possible.

Having this technology is not enough as I have come to find out by examining another product that has this technology in it. In this particular example the RLT was so poorly implemented that performance was actually better with it removed. So it is our proper implementation of the technology that has also been a key factor in this remarkable achievement.

---------------------------

Last edited:

Glenn7

Flashlight Enthusiast
Michael,

Cant seem to see if its written or mentioned anywhere but as with the first DEFT's you built you made them with swapable led's, will these be easily upgradable (drivers as well) too to keep up with the ever changing led progress?

hahoo

Enlightened
Michael,

Cant seem to see if its written or mentioned anywhere but as with the first DEFT's you built you made them with swapable led's, will these be easily upgradable (drivers as well) too to keep up with the ever changing led progress?

thats like wanting to swap out the engine in you bugatti after a year or so ?:confused::D

TEEJ

Flashaholic
My GUESS it that to get it all lined up right, changing the LED MIGHT change the focus needed, etc...plus, reflowing the solder, what ever's needed to get it all re-potted, etc, might be a PITA.

Besides, by then, the 1,800,000 cd DEFT-Y will be out, etc.

:D

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Michael,

It will not be easy to upgrade. The way these are assembled currently doesn't allow for that. The collar and LED assembly are a sealed unit. Getting the collar in perfect alignment is very difficult as it has to be in perfect alignment in three axis. Once we get it there it is epoxied in place. It is conceivable to make the collar somehow unscrewable or something but it would require further engineering and parts production which would add to the cost of the light significantly for the tiny volumes we are doing.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just realized this Michael. But.... your avatar needs a little updating. :)

:huh: Umm. yeah it is isn't it.

It was out of date back in 2009. It was just such a pain for me to figure out how to create it in the first place that I never wanted to have to go through that again. It is a bit embarrassing at this point though. I'll get right on it.

Sanny

Newly Enlightened
Invoice ID: 0000001338 here! :paypal:

I was looking for an M6LT-like package with a bit more throw and maybe a couple of levels... I guess I found it ...and more :grin2:

Seriously saabluster, this looks like an amazing achievement!

On the 2nd of March I will be heading off to Iceland. How good do you reckon are the chances that I will have it by then? Playing with it in Iceland would be simply unforgettable!

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
:huh: Umm. yeah it is isn't it.

It was out of date back in 2009. It was just such a pain for me to figure out how to create it in the first place that I never wanted to have to go through that again. It is a bit embarrassing at this point though. I'll get right on it.

I dont know, I sort of like it the way it is. It's sort of nostalgic. Ya know the way Lincoln motor company is using some of their bling from the past in recent commercials. Having the original DEFT in your avatar shows that you've got roots here, and that you have been bringing your best for many years now.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
I dont know, I sort of like it the way it is. It's sort of nostalgic. Ya know the way Lincoln motor company is using some of their bling from the past in recent commercials. Having the original DEFT in your avatar shows that you've got roots here, and that you have been bringing your best for many years now.

+1 Dont change it!!

TEEJ

Flashaholic
LOL

Maybe have a progression, like those evolution of man charts showing the progression from ape-like to modern...

Dave1988

Newly Enlightened
Just worked a 23 hr shift to pay for this light lol.

Can anyone tell me the head diameter, just wondering if my tn31 filters will fit it.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Just worked a 23 hr shift to pay for this light lol.

Can anyone tell me the head diameter, just wondering if my tn31 filters will fit it.

On page 1 it says its a 75 mm head diameter....and the TN31 has a 79 mm bezel diameter.

That sounds like it would not be a direct swap.

Dave1988

Newly Enlightened
Ah thanks teej, missed that- bummer! I knew they would be close though!

79mm filter suggestions anyone??

Last edited:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Ah thanks teej, missed that- bummer! I knew they would be close though!

79mm filter suggestions anyone??

I don't know for sure if they would work, but, there's a chance that 79 mm lens filters for a camera lens might be able to screw in to the bezel threads, etc?

http://www.nauticam-europe.com/H2O-Tools/Red-und-Magentafilter/others/Red-filter-with-79mm-for-Wide-Angle-Lens

Before getting anything, it might pay to confirm if the head size listed in ID or OD, etc...

:D

Dave1988

Newly Enlightened
Haha I checked out that site too, 70 euro though!! :-0
True about checking the dimension. I misread you teej, I'll definitely wait til I've got it.

Seriously I have so many other things to be spending $600 on right now but come on these specs are off the chain lol. And it looks tough as too!

Last edited: