Deliver in forest regularly, could use some recommendations

markr6

markr6

Flashaholic
A pack of cheap hotdogs.

aginthelaw

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a dog attack me on my courier job and my flashlight protected me...he bit the flashlight deep in my pocket avoiding my family jewels.

Poppy

Poppy

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
My first thought was an LED maglite. I can't make a specific recommendation within the brand because I haven't kept up with all the models introduced in the last year or so. Nor do I know at what distance you are usually scanning for address numbers.

I gave my dad a 3D LED and he used it's pencil thin beam to read street signs that his headlights didn't reach up to.

I delivered pizza's one night about 10 years ago and found that the Rayovac 2AA 100 lumen? light was sufficient for locating address numbers that were 30-100 feet away. It has a thin thrower beam.

The maglite can be used as a club, but I see that you already carry a baseball bat. So now I am thinking that you may do well to wear a headlamp when out of the truck. That would leave your two hands free to:
1. carry a package
2. carry a bat
3. drop the package and reach for your bear spray.

thermal guy

thermal guy

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
Boy I tell you that Streamlight ProTac HL5-X is not a bad choice at all. I have the older version and it’s more light then you need. Remember you do not have to charge them batteries with a usb cable. You can charge them up with a regular charger with a car adapter. Buy 4 cells you will be all set

bykfixer

bykfixer

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
Good ideas Poppy.

Petzl Tactikka Core headlamp might just do the trick. Runs off a supplied 1250 mAh rechargeable Petzl cell, aaa cells or eneloops. Also has red option for preserving low light adapted vision.

Last edited:
Tejasandre

Tejasandre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thrower in the truck to spot the address, headlamp for the actual delivery [emoji106]🏻

desertrunner

desertrunner

Banned
Boy I tell you that Streamlight ProTac HL5-X is not a bad choice at all. I have the older version and it’s more light then you need. Remember you do not have to charge them batteries with a usb cable. You can charge them up with a regular charger with a car adapter. Buy 4 cells you will be all set

Yeah bro, but he is in a truck all day, all shift. He doesnt want to carry around an extra USB cable or a charging cradle. I have worked patrol in a vehicle were youre in and out multiple times a day and its much easier to quickly charge a flashlight with just one cable and then re-plug back in your cell phone as well. Multiple cables and/or a charging cradle is just too much. Its quicker to just throw a USB cable on your light at the end of a shift and let it charge for the next shift or while on the route. Remember, simple and easy is ideal when on the road and in and out of a truck for 8+ hours.

Get this bundle and it will charge the iPhone/smart phone and then the flashlight. Keep it simple sweetie.

12V-USB-Car-Adaptor_600x600_1810-138_1200x.png

41KJVGlU8KL._AC_.jpg

Last edited:
Poppy

Poppy

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
Good ideas Poppy.

Petzl Tactikka Core headlamp must just do the trick. Runs off a supplied 1250 mAh rechargeable Petzl cell, aaa cells or eneloops. Also has red option for preserving low light adapted vision.

Petzl has MANY people who swear by them, and your suggestion of one that allows primary emergency backup power is brilliant.

The tactikka has about 450 lumens... that's plenty.
I think Petzl has some that are designed for runners, that change their focus from narrow beam, to wide beam and back depending upon what the runner is looking at. That seemed to be pretty cool. I don't know how well that worked out in the field, or over all how popular that concept became.

I don't know much about headlamps I found the Crelant CH10 460 lumens and fell in love with it, but over time they proved to be unreliable. So if the OP looks for headlamp suggestions, I'll leave that to you and others.

Thrower in the truck to spot the address, headlamp for the actual delivery [emoji106]
Hey Tejasandre!
I love it when people agree with me, especially when I am bucking the trend!

:thumbsup:

Poppy

Kestrel

Kestrel

Staff member
OK Desertrunner, here's the deal. CPF staff makes every effort towards the goal of CPF being a welcoming place; 'recommendation' threads in particular tend to have new members posting, and we would like to put our best foot forward.

Staff has already posted a rather specific advisory on this topic category just yesterday, and I hope that we don't need to do this in each thread involved. Thank you for your understanding and best regards,

desertrunner

desertrunner

Banned
OK Desertrunner, here's the deal. CPF staff makes every effort towards the goal of CPF being a welcoming place; 'recommendation' threads in particular tend to have new members posting, and we would like to put our best foot forward.

Staff has already posted a rather specific advisory on this topic category just yesterday, and I hope that we don't need to do this in each thread involved. Thank you for your understanding and best regards,

CPF staff- I’d like to please discuss this in more detail if possible in PMs as I’m not clear on the advisory. Can you please PM me? Thanks

Olumin

Olumin

Enlightened
CPF Supporter
Every time these "What should I buy??" threads come out, the other members always post (to me) these odd ball consumer brand flashlights. And I am "that guy" that speaks up with the more heavy duty police level lights. I have been posting here for a long time- PELICAN. They offer a REAL LIFE TIME WARRANTY that they back and no one else is posting a light that offer the same warranty except Streamlight.

The brand I see most often recommended here to people asking for a duty light is either Malkoff or SureFire. Are you telling me that no one except Pelican and Streamlight, neither SF or Malkoff, are not offering a "real life-time warranty"? Thats some claim. Peli lights are good for what they are, but I would not choose them over a good Surefire or Malkoff. Many policemen are carrying Surefire, but not as many as are carrying a Streamlight, because Surefires are generally more expensive. Not many are carrying Malkoff, because Malkoff is not a well known manufacturer to most, and they dont offer internal charging options. However, neither do most Surefire flashlights. Except if you count stuff like the R1 Lawman, which is not really representative of most of SFs offerings. And no longer sold.

Last edited:
bykfixer

bykfixer

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
The topic started out as a delivery driver was looking for a good flashlight for duties he described.
What's say we focus back to that.

Please, pretty please……with sugar on top.

aginthelaw

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Zebralight is expanding their line of flashlights. I have the last sc600w hi on its way to me. Hopefully when UPSguy gets his xmas bonus, they’ll have a rechargeable version of this light. Probably right after this one’s delivered

turbodog

turbodog

Flashlight Enthusiast
The topic started out as a delivery driver was looking for a good flashlight for duties he described.
What's say we focus back to that.

Please, pretty please……with sugar on top.

Yes. what that said. Why not use something that's proven for just this exact type of usage.

Streamlight polystinger.

https://www.streamlight.com/products/detail/index/polystinger-led

Appox $110 on amazon with a snap in charger... no micro usb to bend/break/wear out.

nbp

nbp

Flashaholic
Here’s the point. Present your suggestion and let the OP consider them and decide what’s best for him and his situation and needs. No one needs to convince him, or anyone else, that their favorite items are the best for them. That’s the beauty of the hobby: lots of choices for different situations. If anyone would like to post a separate thread extolling the virtues of certain features they enjoy on a flashlight they are welcome to do so. Otherwise, this one is not for arguing over those features. This will be the last direction on that issue.

Apologies, OP, for the sidebar.

U

UPSguy

Newly Enlightened
Thank you. I appreciate that.

U

UPSguy

Newly Enlightened
This reply was really too cryptic for me to understand. Not sure if you were jabbing at me or others trying to help me in response to my post or trying to help in some nondescript way - but if so, thanks.

Latest posts