Dereelight C2H Review (Cree Q5, RU and RD versions): RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, and more!

STi

Newly Enlightened
If you have the newer version with the spring in the head it's not like the reviewed one...You solder the 2 holes together..One side is CR123A and the other is Ramp Down.

Well I received mine about 2 hours ago. Here are my first impressions. C2H-R2-RU-OP

The Good:
  1. High (Burst Mode) is very bright, the tint is good, only one cree ring around the hot spot. I have the OP reflector.
  2. The color of the HAIII is very nice. Would like to see more lights offered in this color. ( It is called dark gray but looks brown to me.)
  3. Ergonomics/the looks of this light are attractive IMHO.
  4. The clip is perfect. I'm usually not a clip man but I like this one. It holds the light secure but is not obtrusive. Perfect!
  5. Double O-Ring sealed at the threads!
  6. GITD switch boot a nice touch.
  7. Nice stiff switch to click on yet functions nicely for the soft touch settings.
Improvement / changes
  1. The edges for the thumb are in fact sharp. There was no changes on my sample.
  2. The ramp up order was not to my liking. Specifically #3. I would prefer 50% to 60% of total output vs the 30% the light is presently set at. Too many settings below 50%. 3 of the 4. Another option would be to make the light a 5 stage light and add a 60% setting.
  3. The manual/directions need a little clarifying. I cannot decipher what to cut or in my case solder (for cr123 use) based on the directions received and the directions given in Selfbuilts review. They seem to clash.
All in all I am pleased with my purchase. The most notible feature that is discouraging is the 30% setting. Other that that I can't find much to complain about.

I will post pictures later of my head and manual and ask for clarification on which hole to cut for the use of the CR123.

Bill

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I ordered a few AW RCR123A'S that should be here today or tomarrow.

I have been running the AW IMR16340's in my C2H's. Has anyone found any performance difference between IMR16340's and R123's? Either battery should be fine, but I was a bit worried about the high current draw of the C2H's burst mode shortening the life of my R123's.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been running the AW IMR16340's in my C2H's. Has anyone found any performance difference between IMR16340's and R123's? Either battery should be fine, but I was a bit worried about the high current draw of the C2H's burst mode shortening the life of my R123's.

I'm running AW batteries also and have found it does not last long in Burst mode. My light will cut out when the battery reads as high as 3.9v on a volt meter. This baby is definitely drawing some current. I am going to jumper out the safety feature so it will run primaries. I'm hoping that will help the burst mode run a little longer on the AW also.

Bill

justlux

Newly Enlightened
I am currently using AW IMR 16340 with my C2H and the runtime is 26 minutes -v- 27 minutes on my protected AW 16340 cell. I have the old RD R2 and looking forward to trying out the latest driver. I have just ordered the R2 pill with the newest driver. Apparently it's supposed to be better regulated. Has anyone tested this out yet. If so, could you let me know your results?

Thanks,

Jessica

troelskc

Newly Enlightened
Here are my runtimes on AW batts:

750 mAh protected AW RCR123
Initial voltage: 4.20 V
Cutoff voltage: 3.60 V
Runtime on high: 30 minuttes.

750 mAh protected AW 14500
Initial voltage: 4.20 V
Cutoff voltage: 3.44-3,55 V (Couldn't get a hold on the exact value, it changed all the time.)
Runtime on high: 39 minuttes.

I know this thread is old, though I did post the result for potential buyers.

Last edited:

lampy

Newly Enlightened
For the past couple of days I've been considering buying a C2H as my emergency AA - 16340 combo light and maybe pairing it up with the Javelin for a lego with an easy upgrade/repair P60 drop in.

I did notice from the earlier reviews I came across the run times are not exactly impressive. Although your 16340 'high' runtime is about 50% increase over what the OP measured. So maybe the driver efficiency has improved. But how are we to tell? I couldn't see any mention of run times on their website....

As an emergency light I guess the prime consideration is longevity so how about the 'Low' runtime has it improved over the 5 hrs or so it was initially tested at? How about on 2500mAh AA can you give us run time for these on 'Low' please bud.

I would really like to have a AA - 16340 in a single light but the run times on this are putting me off.

My second option is to stick with my cheapo DX 16340 lights and buy the Quark AA T as my quality emergency lamp for the incredible run times on 'Low' and 'Moonshine' 48 hrs and 240 hrs respectively.

Hmmmm decisions decisions :scratch: maybe I should ask if there are others available in the find me a light section

Thanks

Last edited: