"Despeckling" Green pointer/cleaning...

AJ_Dual

Enlightened
Just thought I'd share. I have a 15-20mW Leadlight that I've had since early '04.

It had a fair amount of clutter around the beam from lots of dirt and lint from pocket carry etc. And I didn't feel like trying to pry off the endcap just to clean it. So I tried lots of things,

Cotton swab with the end teased out to fit in the aperature. Different pieces of paper, lens cleaning papers, napkins rolled to a point, all sorts of stuff. Some worked a bit, but nothing really cleaned up the beam.

So I removed the CDRH sticker, and began carefuly working the endcap off with a razor blade.

Then, on a lark, I have no idea why, I tried a coffee filter rolled to a point, and pushed it into the aperature and twisted it a few times.

The beam is now perfect.

Even at 15-20mW, It's bright enough that there is always some flare when looking at it without goggles, but by holding out a finger to block the spot from view, the flare dissapears right up to the edge. So I know the flare is now just in my eye, and not actualy in the beam.

I have no idea what it is about coffee filter paper, but it worked. :rock:

Last edited:

zigziggityzoo

Newly Enlightened
good to know. I'll have to give it a shot sometimes. I've been using rubbing alcohol on a q-tip. It's worked every time so far, but it can take a few tries.

I'll try this and see if it works any better.

AJ_Dual

Enlightened
I was going to do alcohol, but I was always worried I'd just mess it up more.

So I was going to work off the endcap, and use a microfiber cleaning cloth.

It always seemed to me that alcohol might clean it, but it could also damage glue, loctite, a lens coating, or float even more dirt onto the lens etc. So I didn't chance it.

532nm

Newly Enlightened
I would caution against using those cans of compressed air cleaners, in case nobody knows, they can spray very cold (especially if you move the can and the dip tube sucks up some liquid instead of gas) and crack glass lenses and mounts.

kdam36

Banned
my method of removing a leadlight end cap is to use a sharp knife and roll the knife edge in the groove and after a few attempts you`l fine that the gap starts to get bigger as you roll backwards and forwards.
keep doing it till the knife is in as far as it will go then use a fatter knife edge to make the gap bigger..
after a while you can either get a small screwdriver in to prize the rest off or you can use pliers covered in cloth if you dont want to damage the edge..
hope thats of some use

al.

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
AJ_Dual said:
I tried a coffee filter rolled to a point, and pushed it into the aperature and twisted it a few times.

The beam is now perfect.

... I have no idea what it is about coffee filter paper, but it worked. :rock:

Coffee filters are great! Perfectly lint free and non-scratching. They're also great for "tinting" CPU heatsinks with AS5. And they help you make coffee too. :grin2:

badhorsey

Newly Enlightened
Unbelievable! I have a 20mw and a 55mw Leadlight and both - particularly the latter - were very speckled to the point that the 55mw had lost some of its burning power.

Two coffee filters and three minutes later - PERFECT.

Thank you for what really is the tip of the year.

Mods - make this a sticky? It would be good to have a central resource for what is a very common problem...

Xzn

Newly Enlightened
OH MY GOD.

I just rolled up a coffee filter and shoved it into my DX 30mw and twisted it around a bit. Turned a dirty laser pointer into a floodlight!

Help!! what can i do!?

Tek465

Newly Enlightened
You probably were using too much force and twisted the optics out of focus. (Hopefully)

If you look down the barrel (Take out the batteries first!!) You'll see the brass fitting with two notches on either side. Get a jewelers screwdriver and carefully, with out scratching the lens. Turn those notches about 1/4 - 1/2 turn till it's back in focus.

And next time remember that cleaning lenses requires a very gentle touch or you'll ruin the lens (by scratching with dust or misalingment) or the coatings applied to it.

Xzn

Newly Enlightened
The focus is fine. I see my distinct "dot"... and a stargaze of tiny specks and small dots around it. From 9 feet away, i see my small dot, and about a 4 foot diameter of tons of small little specks.
You probably were using too much force and twisted the optics out of focus. (Hopefully)

If you look down the barrel (Take out the batteries first!!) You'll see the brass fitting with two notches on either side. Get a jewelers screwdriver and carefully, with out scratching the lens. Turn those notches about 1/4 - 1/2 turn till it's back in focus.

And next time remember that cleaning lenses requires a very gentle touch or you'll ruin the lens (by scratching with dust or misalingment) or the coatings applied to it.

FloggedSynapse

Enlightened
lol, I clean my lasers in a similar way though I use Kodak lens cleaning paper. Sometimes I'll bunch it up and twist, lately I've been using a q-tip to gently twist a lens cleaning cloth against the aperture. Usually doesn't take more than a second or two to clean up the spot. I try to avoid using any cleaning fluids as these tend to leave a residue that can leave a milky corona around the spot.

There's also this gadget which apparently works well (lens pen):
http://www.lenspen.com/?cPath=1&products_id=MP-1&tpid=146
Apparently these can be found at radioshack (maybe).

Thanks for the tip on using a coffee filter, something I've never tried.

Daedal

Newly Enlightened
The coffee filter idea is AMAZING! Tested working and safe on everything! I tried it on the collimating lense of 2 of my lasers, he inside and the outside, and I also tried it on the IR filter of one of them. The results speak for themselves.

Thank you very much AJ;
DDL

Timelord

Newly Enlightened
You'll find that the lenspen's tip is 6mm wide so it will fit all lasers just great :twothumbs

Latest posts