Destructive Incan Bulb Tests - Updated 8/27/2010 (Newer Info Added)

Nite

Enlightened
Re: Destructive Incan Bulb Tests - Updated 6/22/08 (Info Added)

ok can i get some examples of surefire or other lights that use these?

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic

Considering for a moment that I would be interested in blowing $30/bulb for a P91 setup (which I'm not), stop and think with my test setup in post #1 how a side view of a bulb inside of a reflector assembly would be reliably tested.

I already ruled out testing bulbs inside of a reflector, by measuring straight out the front (so called "torch lumens"--which is a made up term without any scientific rigor or established standards) because of lack of uniformity from reflector design, hotspot distance from bulb/position of light meter, size of sensor, etc.

Nite

Enlightened

I always wondered what the diff tween torch lumens and lumens:popcorn:

Dont u guys get all these companies to send you stuff free ?:poke:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic

Dont u guys get all these companies to send you stuff free ?:poke:
Ummm....in short, no. Of the 38 bulbs tested, I got 8-10 of them from people sending, the rest I bought. All but a few had at least two bulbs tested on different dates to get correlation of test method. Some had 4-5 bulbs of one type tested.

Nite

Enlightened

im guilty of skimming thru looking for D26 and not reading the whole thread...

what kind of lamps are these..I mean..what Lights do these go into?

is the info all there?

Im totally new and know nothing that isnt contained in MDOCODs Li-ion sticky thread.

Im gonna read it now i think....all the text 2 see what I can learn makes this data so valuable.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic

These are bulbs that have bipin "legs" that plug into several universal holders, and which in turn mostly are "hotwire" upgrades in custom maglites. Many of us have played around with trying to find the optimal voltage, light output, and how far you can overdrive a bulb before you run the risk of killing it. So this was my attempt to bring some real testing data into previously made assumptions taken from a spreadsheet that proved not to be very accurate.

Nite

Enlightened

wow thanks for quick reply

as a beginner im gonna stick to SF and thicker but compatible parts. they are like putting together lego pieces its so easy. Most civilians cant build a P91 from scratch, without coming here first..theyd just buy one.

However the setups your using arent retail items...off the shelf..as U said "hotwired"

I am not rich enough, nor skiilled enuough (yet) to attempt the configs..

however thanks for doing this..its alot of work im sure

at your own expense! ? thats a labor of love.

im sure this is like equivalent to my needing the MDOCODS lithium ion battery threadhttps://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/161536

SO u wrote a bible like MDOCOD? thats awesome..

I hope one day to be able to afford too and be knowledgeable enough to attempt playing around in this area without electrocuting myself or dying via vent with flame multiple event.
:wave:

regarding someones post i saw....in this thread...
oh yeah and this kind of data definitely has some kind of commercial value...however im sure each company did its versions of these same tests, they only did it on their own brand lamps. in any case, their competitors datas now published here for free where their computer guys see it right away.

say why dont they publish THEIR test data on THEIR manufacturer websites..has anyone checked?
:shrug:

Last edited:

Nite

Enlightened

im on this thread because i saw the words DESTRUCTIVE TESTS in the title.

WHo else is also here same way...i know its alot!

Fulgeo

Enlightened

Nite,

Do not sell yourself short. If you are buying SF products you can afford to put together a ROP or better yet a Mag85. Both are doable under $100 USD. As for knowledge you can find it all right on these forums. As for skill just jump in, the water is fine. You have a problem just post it on the forums most like to help (and argue but that can be fun to)!

I am not rich enough, nor skiilled enuough (yet) to attempt the configs..

I hope one day to be able to afford too and be knowledgeable enough to attempt playing around in this area without electrocuting myself or dying via vent with flame multiple event.

:shrug:

Alan B

Flashlight Enthusiast

I seem to recall a thread called something like "What is a Mag85" that is a good intro on how to build a hotwire. It is only "hard" before you know how to do it, after knowing it is a "piece of cake".

There is more than one way to do it, but basically all you need is a socket to put the bulb into, an upgraded reflector and lens that can take the increased heat, and a battery or battery holder that matches the voltage requirements of the chosen bulb. There are many bulbs, but some are very simple like the ROP (Roar of the Pelican) or M@G85. All the mod parts are available on the forums.

I built a Mag85 using a 9AA cell holder that fits in a 3D M@G, a socket adapter that holds a bipin bulb and fits the regular M@G tower, and a reflector and lens. I got everything except the lens and the M@G from one vendor and put it together in 5 minutes, and that was my first "hotwire". The total cost was less than most SF lights, and the build quality is quite high. It produces a lot of guilt-free (rechargeable) lumens, and filled with low self-discharge NiMH it is always ready to go. It rarely fails to impress, and the runtime is long enough and heat low enough to be actually useful as a light.

-- Alan

Last edited:

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Destructive Incan Bulb Tests

LuxLuthor,
did you ever try the Philips Focusline 7388 20W bulb. I think it is the 5761's 20W brother.

cheers, Kostas

Techjunkie

Enlightened
in the brightly lit suburbs of NYC (Long Island)

I have been using the Osram 64640 bulb (24V 150W 6000L) with 20 Titanium 1800 AAs in a modded Mag 4D for some time now. I tried the higher wattage 24V bulbs but couldn't cope with the super short runtime and couldn't focus those longer bulbs without a 3" head.

It would be cool to have a LuxLuthor chart for the 64640.

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast

great work i must have looked at the first page of this thread at least 40 times already, very useful.

Is there any chance of doing maglite bulbs, like the higher up ones 4 5 6 cell xenon and maybe the krypton too.

Would interesting to see how bright they actually are, especially the 5 and 6 cell xenon

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Great test :twothumbs

I'm just about to build my first ican mod and this charts really help me to choose the bulb.

rayman

jerry i h

Enlightened

OK: finally did my first hotwire (ROP) :D.
I've tasted blood and I want more (hint: the singer was Susan Sarandon).
For my next trick: I was on the bulbconnection website looking at 6v/G4 bulbs (planning on a FM/KIU bipin socket in the same host as ROP). The 7388 is listed there as an exact substitute for the Osram 64250. However: the Osram 64275 is the big brother: still 6v, but 50% more lumens and 50% more amps (6.6, ouch).
I guess my next task is: Philips 5761, Welch Allyn WA1111, and Osram 64275. So many bulbs, so few batts…

Last edited:

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast

OK: finally did my first hotwire (ROP) :D.
I've tasted blood and I want more (hint: the singer was Susan Sarandon).
For my next trick: I was on the bulbconnection website looking at 6v/G4 bulbs (planning on a FM/KIU bipin socket in the same host as ROP). The 7388 is listed there as an exact substitute for the Osram 64250. However: the Osram 64275 is the big brother: still 6v, but 50% more lumens and 50% more amps (6.6, ouch).
I guess my next task is: Philips 5761, Welch Allyn WA1111, and Osram 64275. So many bulbs, so few batts…
While I am partial to the 64275 (I have a Mag275 as my "go to" incan. It requires no more than 7.0V, 7.1-7.2 if you ease up on it gently. I have a Hotdriver set at 7.05V. The 5761 is slightly more robust in that you can direct drive it on 6 NiMH cells that have been rested. Lux's tests show it as more efficient than the 64275. Also, the 5761 is a smaller bulb and thus requires a smaller reflector hole. So more of the generated lummens make it out the front.

Edit: Was it "Rocky Horror"?

ktafil

Newly Enlightened

LuxLuthor, this is very usefull information.

Thanks for the research!

:twothumbs

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast

Interest Thread – Need 250 bulbs for this to happen

I started this over in the Group Buy section - but wanted exposure over here.... looks like a bunch of bulb folks...

I've got a FiveMega M*g that runs the FM Carley 43W bulb. I've only got 4 bulbs (I bought this from another forum member).

The bulbs were custom made to FiveMega specifications by Carley – and there are none available. I've had some PMs with FiveMega and he's open to having another run of bulbs, but the minimum order is 250 with the cost being around $12 per bulb. FiveMega (reasonably) also will require pre-pay for the run of bulbs to happen.

I've seen people posting that they want to buy the bulb, its #12 on LuxLuthor's list of most powerful MAG Mods. 1500 Bulb Lumens It is really incredible – it's the light I use to "wow" people in the office – pull out a fancy looking M*g and shine a hot spot on a wall 100 yards away.

If you are interested - please post over on my thread in the Market Place Group Buys. I'm up for 20 bulbs. Total is ~75 right now.

Neale

Last edited by a moderator:

metlarules

Flashlight Enthusiast

Have you tested a WA 1183 yet?