Did anyone else call out the "balloon Boy" early?

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I didn't even learn about this until after the fact. My only comment is what exactly was the point? As incredible as it sounds, on the surface it seems the father was actually seeking media attention, and little else, with this asinine stunt. Why would anyone WANT to purposely draw this much attention from the media (and mostly negative at that) to themselves? That's the part I just don't get. After this stunt, this guy's name is going to be synonomous with "complete a__hole" for the rest of his life.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Why would anyone WANT to purposely draw this much attention from the media (and mostly negative at that) to themselves?

This has been the family's mode of operation for some time; on their reality show appearances, the father would act explosively angry and overwrought at every opportunity, and many who have worked with Heene have said openly that the moment they heard the name, they knew the entire thing was a hoax, that something like this was inevitable from him. In fact no one who knows the family has defended them, all involved have said something to the effect that none of this was a surprise (with several noting that Heene owes them money.)

The boy, Falcon, vomited on live television twice on friday - once on Good Morning America and once on the Today show. This strikes me as odd since the boy has had absolutely no problems with cameras before, so it obviously wasn't anxiety. And if he had eaten something that made him ill, there would have just been the one incident, not two spread out over a period of time (probably at least an hour). I wouldn't be surprised if there's a little Munchausen going on there; slip the boy a bit of castor oil right before going on live, and the appearance is guaranteed maximum airplay..

The bit I posted above about the phone calls is the key piece of evidence that will bury the family.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can almost picture the next supermarket tabloid. "Balloon boy's father back on Wife Swap with the Octo-Mom".

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Many suspected a hoax while the balloon was still in the air when it was reported the family was involved in a reality TV show.

Once they found the boy in a box in the attic, in a place the authorities didn't bother to check because they felt the boy couldn't get up there (unassisted), it was screaming hoax. Then Falcon spills the beans on CNN, the whole time the father looks so guilty, as well as the mother, and were doing a horrible acting job.

I was really frustrated when the police said they didn't think it was a hoax when it was so painfully obvious, but they may have been saying that as a tactic to let them get more out of the family. If they suspected the family of a hoax it may have made it more difficult to continue their investigation.

I'm glad they are now calling it a hoax and I hope the parents see jail time and the children are taken away from those nut jobs and put in a good foster home.

I get really angry when I see people pull off a hoax that puts emergency workers in harms way. All these people were racing after the balloon because they felt they were trying to save a little boy. Many were probably putting their lives on the line to pursue that balloon and could have been killed in a vehicle crash, etc. Helicopters following in the air (the Henee's actually called the TV station to get their helicopter in the air to try and help) could have crashed.

The Henee's should have to pay for everything and go to jail for at least 10 years. Make an example out of people like this.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some update

Investigators say the saga of a boy mistakenly thought to be floating high above Colorado in a homemade balloon was an elaborate hoax, with the intent of landing the family a reality television series.

Larimer County Sheriff Jim Alderden told reporters the alleged hoax had been planned for at least two weeks and that investigators suspect more people and an unnamed "media outlet" were in on it.

He told reporters that police will recommend that the following charges be filed against the Heene parents: conspiracy, contributing to the delinquency of a minor, false reporting to authorities and attempting to influence a public servant. Since the charges have not yet been filed, no one has yet been arrested.

Some of the charges carry a sentence of up to six years in prison and a $500,000 fine.

"Needless to say they put on a very good show for us, and we bought it," Alderden said, alleging Falcon may not have been hiding at all.

"For all we know he may have been two blocks down the road playing on the swing in the city park," he said.

Richard Heene said he's "seeking counsel," though it was unclear whether he was talking about hiring an attorney.

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really did not think one would do something like this! I guess I was thinking that although not probabale.. that it was an HONEST problem.

Very sad to read about all this!

jtr1962

Flashaholic
"Investigators say the saga of a boy mistakenly thought to be floating high above Colorado in a homemade balloon was an elaborate hoax, with the intent of landing the family a reality television series."
And it still might. "Life in the Big House" sounds like a good name for Richard Heene's new reality show. :laughing:

smfranke

Newly Enlightened
Unfortunately the sheriff said it was a minor misdemeanor. Hopefully '****' gets sued for wasting everybody's time & stressing his kid like that. Naming him Falcon wasn't enough?...:sigh:

Yes - I did call it as a hoax early too.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Hey, MythBusters even lifted Paul Newman off the ground !

It was during an appearance on Dave Letterman's show, in NYC.

I understand it set a record of some type.

:tinfoil:
_

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Re: Did anyone else call out the "Balloon Boy" early?

I was also suspicious early on. There was no way that a baloon of that size could have supported that child. As it turned out the compartment under the baloon wasn't even large enough to fit him. And the fact that he called the media before calling 911.

I'll be relieved when this knucklehead's 15 minutes of fame are over.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just saw on the news the family running away from camera in store parking lot, and that child protection service is looking into the case for exploitation of minor. Good.

Wattnot

Enlightened

Mythbusters did something like that, lifting a 4 year old girl. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8i7ESjCw3o

Yes but they had probably TEN TIMES the volume of helium, a lighter child and did it at around sea level (helium loses lifting ability the higher the altitude). All of that and the lifting didn't appear very forceful.

And then they wasted all of that irreplaceable helium.

Patriot

Flashaholic
I wonder what charges are being brought on the parents. It seems like the case against them, especially the dad, is growing.

JohnR66

Flashlight Enthusiast
He's probably already got paid TV appearances booked.:sick2:
The media don't care if the guy is an idiot or not. They do whatever they can for more viewers. Will be interesting to see how this pans out.

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes but they had probably TEN TIMES the volume of helium, a lighter child and did it at around sea level (helium loses lifting ability the higher the altitude). All of that and the lifting didn't appear very forceful.
Exactly. The main point I got from that demo was the incredible amount of helium needed.

How could they have recovered the helium?

js6968

Newly Enlightened

There is no way that the boy was in that balloon. I'm surprised they weren't able to call that out during the coverage of the balloon flight. It is pretty much impossible.

Charges should and will be pressed against the dad although it won't result in much and the bottom line will be a positive result for the family.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

If I was thew judge in his case, I would fine him for the abuse of public services, but more importantly I would sentence him to several weeks of mandatory in-patient therapy. This man is not living in the real world and his issues are not going to be fixed by a few visits to a therapist's office.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic

last I saw the parents could lose custody of the children and get much more than a slap on the wrist it could cost them time in jail and a lot of money.