did anyone try those ray-o-vac cheapies? (2aa)

Azreal911

Enlightened
i was at walmart the other day and noticed on the shelves some nice garrity and ray o vac flash lights, the 2aa's. I bought the garrity 2aaa pen light. but then i saw two other nice ones from ray o vac for like 7-8 bucks CDN. didn't buy it cause too much at once will just get me in trouble. of the two models from ray o vac. one's like polycarbonate plastic and runs on a t-1 bulb (can upgrade to the nexstar!). and the other one is like some massive piece of rubber that you can throw off a building and it should survive and it runs on a pr based bulb (more upgrades from radio shack!). Both have a nice push button barrel switch for a small 2aa. but the impressive thing about it is that they both have a faceted reflector. so if anyone bought these on impulse could they tell me a bit about how they are? thanks.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I don't know off any of the lights you are speaking of except the Garrity Pen Light. The one I have is pretty decent throw but is kinda heavy.

I have seen small 2aa Rayovacs and just haven't bought one yet since I am very well stocked in 2aa stuff!

However I find anything with a faceted (I call them textured myself) reflector to be just peachy in usefulness.

My coolest (best) 2aa light is an Eveready Waterproof. Only problem with it is that is 'fat' (lots of room for air so it will float).

It's all fun!

DSpeck

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Ray-o-vac 2AA light, the one made of "polycarbonate" (more likely ABS - also very tough, and cheaper
smile.gif
). I was very impressed with it. It replaced my old Maglight 2AA in my toolpouch at work (phone technician). Better light, and lighter weight, and (I feel) tougher than Aluminum. The batteries lasted me quite a while, too, with daily usage. The reflector is faceted, and so it gives a very good, even light. The barrel switch is a must when you are using it all the time, and might have it in and out of the pouch 10 times in 10 min. It has never failed me.

All in all, for $9.99 Cdn, a fabulous bargain!

Albany Tom

Enlightened
I bought the Rayovac 2-AA swivel light, and love it. It swivels around and stays put! It has a little clip on it that's just perfect for clipping onto a ceiling tile grid. Ok, maybe too excited again, but for something to do what you expect is rare. On the minus side, the battery compartment cover comes off too easily, and the original bulb is yellow, but it's a t-1 pin, so a AA minimag bulb worked well.

Now what I really need is to figure out how to mount a newbeam in it, and put a latch on the cover, and maybe a magnet...

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I forgot about one 2aa light I have...

It's a Dorcy Boss and it came with a Wenger Swiss Army Knife in a package I found at K-Mart.

There is one on Ebay right now. link

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1862976186

It has a textured reflector and tosses a decent beam, just not as bright and far as some other lights. It uses a PR bulb and I'm sure it is already a K101 or there about so I don't know how to get any more out of it. It is all rubber coated and I THINK Sears has the same thing in either Dorcy or renamed Craftsman.

Another good one I have is a BMG 2aa (Have NO idea where I got it). Not textured but still throws a nice light. One more CHEAP! 2aa is a Rayovac Value Light which are usually by the registers at Wally World. Mine is by the telephone in the Living room as an emergency light!

It's all fun!

Azreal911

Enlightened
wow thanks guys, now that i know anything with a textured reflector must be something good, i'll pick up that 2aa polycarbonate ray o vac and stuff a nexstar t-1 into it! sweet! i saw the packaging and they even say "tested for a 7ft drop onto concrete." not bad!

Azreal911

Enlightened
ahhhh i did a bad thing i went to walmart today and got the newest garrity tuff lite. it had the faceted reflector. and then i HAD to go to radio shack and pick up a 2.4v 500mah xenon bulb pr based and a 2.4v 900mah bulb! just for kicks. the beam itselt if non focusing, its set for spot which is perfect for me since 99% of the time i use it in spot mode on any flashlight. the beauty of this is in the reflector, no rings! just a nice hotspot it's not totally smooth but there are no ugly rings at all! i love it. now for the experiments. when i put in the 900mah bulb it didn't seem to wow or impress me at all it was equal to my mag with a nexstar. i don't know why i even threw in ni cads for the high drain. still nothing, then i installed the xenon bulb and it was noticably whiter! not a bad toy. and the construction of this light feels like you can throw it out of you house on the second floor and all you'll break is a broken bulb. the casing is like really heavy rubber with massive knobby rings around the barrel that you can put your fingers between it. it's a much better improvement over their old tuff lights. i didn't get the ray o vacs cause it uses a t-1 bulb and i had enough lights running on t-1's already. heh.

Albany Tom

Enlightened
Originally posted by PlayboyJoeShmoe:
On one of these Walmart trips (maybe in South Dakota?) I am going to grab a set of 2D and 2AA Garrities just for the heck of it (and I LIKE cheap stuff!!!)
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I'm thinking you'd love the 2AA Rayovac swivel light. At Walmart they sell the 'outdoorsman' version that's green and includes an extra red lens. About 7 bucks. Put a mini-mag bulb in it...