did are memeber 4 sevens start fenix?

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
David started the website Fenix-store.. He did not make the lights, he just had a reseller agreement. Same for 47s, david had a reseller agreement w Olight

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
David was the official dealer for Fenix and Eagletac, but at some point I believe he had a falling out with both companies.

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still have the Fenix L1P David started selling on CPF back in 2005, the first I had heard of them. They were $42.95 for a 1 AA with 1watt Luxeon LED. IIRC, David went on to sell more Fenix then start his own 47s brand.

The L1P now has a SSC LED and an Energizer lithium in it, for "emergencies" - I think its still a pretty light, but with only 1 level and poor CRI it get relegated.

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast
It sucks that 4Sevens didn't continue under David. I still use several 4Sevens lights, all of which are well over a decade old...the Quark AA I carry in my pocket when I'm at work, I bought right when they were first released. That light is a total beater, been through hell and back a few times and it shows...it has never even flickered one time. David told me he engineered those lights to handle the rough stuff, and he hoped that I would use mine for work, and I have...it has handled it with ease.

davidsyd

Newly Enlightened
Those were the good old days. I had the AA mini when it first came out and it still works today.

E=mAh²

Newly Enlightened
So what is everyone's general consensus on the 4sevens brand now that Jason has been driving? The quark in particular is what I'm most interested in. It just is appealing to me something about it how it is sorta like the OG multi mode tube style "tactical" oriented flashlight -not necessarily THE very first to come to production, but as far as I understand one of if not the very first that really helped bring the whole "EDC" aspect into the flashlight community and more or less paved the way for the (almost) overbearing and overwhelming amount of options we now have available to us as flashaholics.

Myself only "seeing the light" now for oh a few years give or take but actually spending serious coin on the "hobby" about a year and a half maybe two years ago.
That said, I sorta came into the scene and had things pretty easy in regards to catering to my wants and needs of a flashlight... Yet still decade(s) later and we (or at least I) still suffer from the same problems that only a never ending supply of illumination tools and a whole lot of $$$ can fix!

I digress tho, what I really mean to say is there is no denying the impact that the quark and 47s has had on cpf and the hobby as a whole whether your mainly kicking it at BLF and interests mainly lie in modding and things like convoys, sofirns, Hank lights etc. Or maybe you are hooked on HDS and all it's neverending threads, or possibly you only mess with exotic finish Hankos, whatever your poison I believe a lot of it can be traced back to a handful of key contributors, which I'm sure everyone has their opinions on who would be on that list as well but I think it's safe to say that it would have the likes of Don McLeish, Gene Malkoff, and most likely David Chow among others and in that spirit I would like to purchase my first ever 47s flashlight and what better model than the quark?

My only reservations are am I paying for that same rugged tried and true trailblazing pocket light that set the bar for so many companies for years to come, or am I paying for THAT lights name??

Any and all feedback much appreciated thank you.

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also if I remember correctly there was some "link" between David Chow and Olight. It is quite long ago when I was interested in 4sevens or Foursevens.

After FourSevens changed the owner there was nothing that was interesting to me at all anymore. That did not changed till today.

Btw. does anyone know what David is doing nowadays?

Burgess

Flashaholic
Great thread here !

David Chow was not just a DEALER for Fenix,
he was THE EXCLUSIVE NORTH AMERICA DISTRIBUTOR !

Sadly --
Fenix "did him wrong", and he then decided
to form his Own flashlight company,
which he called 47's.

David Chow was TRULY responsible for the
great Success which Fenix has attained !

So what is everyone's general consensus on the 4sevens brand now that Jason has been driving? The quark in particular is what I'm most interested in. It just is appealing to me something about it how it is sorta like the OG multi mode tube style "tactical" oriented flashlight -not necessarily THE very first to come to production, but as far as I understand one of if not the very first that really helped bring the whole "EDC" aspect into the flashlight community and more or less paved the way for the (almost) overbearing and overwhelming amount of options we now have available to us as flashaholics.

Myself only "seeing the light" now for oh a few years give or take but actually spending serious coin on the "hobby" about a year and a half maybe two years ago.
That said, I sorta came into the scene and had things pretty easy in regards to catering to my wants and needs of a flashlight... Yet still decade(s) later and we (or at least I) still suffer from the same problems that only a never ending supply of illumination tools and a whole lot of $$$ can fix!

I digress tho, what I really mean to say is there is no denying the impact that the quark and 47s has had on cpf and the hobby as a whole whether your mainly kicking it at BLF and interests mainly lie in modding and things like convoys, sofirns, Hank lights etc. Or maybe you are hooked on HDS and all it's neverending threads, or possibly you only mess with exotic finish Hankos, whatever your poison I believe a lot of it can be traced back to a handful of key contributors, which I'm sure everyone has their opinions on who would be on that list as well but I think it's safe to say that it would have the likes of Don McLeish, Gene Malkoff, and most likely David Chow among others and in that spirit I would like to purchase my first ever 47s flashlight and what better model than the quark?

My only reservations are am I paying for that same rugged tried and true trailblazing pocket light that set the bar for so many companies for years to come, or am I paying for THAT lights name??

Any and all feedback much appreciated thank you.

Just do it.

IMG_1391.jpeg

Last edited:

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're going to do it, do it today, it's 4/7 and that means it Foursevens day. Select lights are 30 percent off!

* Preon P1 MKIII >Black<
* Preon P2 MKIII >Black<
* Quark QK2A MKIII >Black<
* Quark QK2A MKIII >Slate Blue<

Just use FOURSEVENS30 at the checkout.