Did I Mess Up My New Batteries?

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi'all,

I recently purchased four 18650 KeepPower 3400mAh Panasonic NCR18650B Protected Button Top batteries. The batteries arrived yesterday, so I placed 2 (of the four) batteries in my Nitecore i4 Intellicharger. However, I wasn't thinking ahead that I was planing on leaving for an errand in a few hours. Before leaving, I took the batteries out of the charges (figuring I'll place them back in the charger when I returned).

When I returned, I place all four batteries in the charger (made a mental note which 2 were the ones I took off the charger). After a few hours, the two which wasn't in the charger earlier, topped off / light showing full charge. While the other two was still charging. After a few more hours, the charger's indicator lights were still showing that the batteries were still charging. I took them off, checked the voltage at 3.80 / the two fresh off the charger, showing fully charged at 4.18V.

Not wanting to take chances. I thought I'd ask for your opinions, before placing them back in the charger.

Did I mess something up by taking the new 18650's off the charger too early / before acquiring a full charge?

Thanks,

Pops

PS while the 2 were still in a charge state. I placed the four (two at a time) new 16340 KeepPower 700mAh ICR16340 Protected Button Top in the charger. Completed all four 16340's while the two 18650's were still charging.

Last edited:

SilverFox

Silver Moderator,
Staff member
Hello Pops,

I don't think you did anything wrong, but after a few hours of charging I would expect the voltage to be higher than 3.8 volts.

Check the voltage and write it down so you can keep track and then put them back on the charger for a couple of hours. Pull them and once again check the voltage to see if it has gone up.

You expect the voltage to increase until the maximum voltage is reached.

Tom

archimedes

Moderator,
Staff member
CPF Supporter
PS while the 2 were still in a charge state. I placed the four (two at a time) new 16340 KeepPower 700mAh ICR16340 Protected Button Top in the charger. Completed all four 16340's while the two 18650's were still charging.

Pops,

I am a little confused by your postscript (above) .... How many cells are you placing in each slot, at one time ? (!)

Last edited:

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Pops,

I don't think you did anything wrong, but after a few hours of charging I would expect the voltage to be higher than 3.8 volts.

Check the voltage and write it down so you can keep track and then put them back on the charger for a couple of hours. Pull them and once again check the voltage to see if it has gone up.

You expect the voltage to increase until the maximum voltage is reached.

Tom

OK, will do. I'll check the voltage every so often, and see how it's charging. Thanks!

Pops,

I am a little confused by your postscript (above) .... How many cells are you placing in each slot, at one time ? (!)

Yeah, I shouldn't have cut / skip out on my English grammar (?) classes.

One cell in each of the four charging slots / bays. I was charging two of the 18650's, and two new 16340's. When the two 16340's were fully charged. I placed the remaining two new 16340 in the two empty slots / bays.

Pops

Last edited:

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Update; it took another 1 1/2 to 2 hours for the two remaining 18650's to reach full charge (4.18 & 4.19 volts). When you figure how much batteries cost. I'm real glad I didn't mess them up! Thanks again for the help! ... :thumbsup:

Pops

Latest posts