Diffuser

Dimt

Newly Enlightened
Just what is a diffuser used for?
I assume you put it over the lens end to spread the light over a wide area, similar to candle. Wouldn't just bouncing the light off the ceiling be brighter?

välineurheilija

Enlightened
Just what is a diffuser used for?
I assume you put it over the lens end to spread the light over a wide area, similar to candle. Wouldn't just bouncing the light off the ceiling be brighter?
No if you want to spread the light in front of you for example outside walking :D

edpmis02

Enlightened
I prefer the softer glow of the cone type to light a room instead of looking at a large hotspot on the ceiling.

Scooby214

Newly Enlightened
A diffuser can also be useful in an outdoor setting where you can't do a ceiling bounce. The Fenix AOD-S fits on my E35, making for a nice little lantern when the campfire has died down for the night. I can run it all night long on medium and still have plenty of charge to spare.

Last edited:

inetdog

Enlightened
Not sure how important it is, but a diffuser will also prevent the light from casting sharp edged shadows and pinpoint reflections which you would otherwise get from the spill part of the beam.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
No if you want to spread the light in front of you for example outside walking :D

A diffuser can also be useful in an outdoor setting where you can't do a ceiling bounce. . .

^^ Exactly

A diffuser turns this (SureFire E2L-A Outdoorsman on High)
20131027065006-692cc070-sm.jpg

Into this (SureFire E2L-A Outdoorsman on high with F04-A Diffuser)
20131027065004-2d768eb8-sm.jpg

(You can see more comparisons here)

videoman

Enlightened
" Wouldn't just bouncing the light off the ceiling be brighter?"
Not really, if the cieling is high enough you would just be lighting up the ceiling evenly but very very little light would come down.

Dimt

Newly Enlightened
" Wouldn't just bouncing the light off the ceiling be brighter?"
Not really, if the cieling is high enough you would just be lighting up the ceiling evenly but very very little light would come down.

^^ Exactly

A diffuser turns this (SureFire E2L-A Outdoorsman on High)
20131027065006-692cc070-sm.jpg

Into this (SureFire E2L-A Outdoorsman on high with F04-A Diffuser)
20131027065004-2d768eb8-sm.jpg

(You can see more comparisons here)

Not sure how important it is, but a diffuser will also prevent the light from casting sharp edged shadows and pinpoint reflections which you would otherwise get from the spill part of the beam.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I see now what a diffuser can do. Less light loss than I thought and will be handy next time we loose power.

Right now just about everyone except my neighbor and myself are without power even the neighbor west of us is without power. My neighbor said "It is a Christmas Miracle!". Me I'm charging my batteries, there is a lot of ice on the tree branches and it's not getting above freezing for some time.