Dim red 18650 flashlight

Elijah

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for recommendations for a low-brightness, red emitter flashlight that either takes a single 18650 or 1.2V NiMH AA. I have plenty of 18650's and Eneloop AA's so not interested in anything that requires 1.5V batteries. I want something for looking at my nocturnal pets, as they don't seem to mind the red light. I'm currently using the red light setting on my Nitecore HC50, which is about the right brightness, but I would like to find a dedicated red flashlight without any white or other colors to accidentally turn on. I have red and amber Ultrafire flashlights, but damn, those things are WAY too bright. Don't care if it's a right angle or straight tube, but a magnetic tail-cap would be nice to keep it attached to the bottom of the cage when not in use. Would also be pretty sweet if it was fairly cheap <$20, but I would be willing to spend as much as $30 for the right flashlight. Open to all suggestions. Thanks!

Eli

Elijah

Newly Enlightened
That's a very nice light! Zebra Light certainly makes good stuff, and they would be at the top of my list if I needed something waterproof (eg. caving), but that's more than I want to spend for a light I'm only going to use indoors. Thanks for the suggestion though!

IDK if I was just using the wrong keywords when I searched before, but I found a 3-pack of cheap, Chinese-brand, 1-mode AA flashlights with red emitters for <$20 that I'm going to try. The reviews said they were pretty dim running on a 1.2V Eneloop, so maybe they will work for my purposes. I will report back once I have had the chance to try them out.