Direct drive L2-Lux III.

H

HunterSon

Enlightened
I have a fasination with direct drive lights. Some of my lights include L1 bezels modified with flood reflectors on E1e bodies. I have an amber one and a red/orange one that are very bright.

So a well known mod meister (who has been know to take a perfectly good Surefire light and apply magic to it) sold me a L2 bezel so I could run it direct drive off an E2e body. It was nice around the house, putting out about the same amount of light as the TW4 combination (E1e+KL4).

Yesterday I was going through my spares box and found a few Luxeon stars. A couple of Q3J's, a P something and a SYOL luxeon III. So I thought I could replace the 5 watt emitter in the L2 with the SYOL and have a good light to direct drive off my Pilas when they arrive due to the high voltage bin (3.75-3.99v). The swap was super easy even for someone with 6 left thumbs.

Since I don't have the Pilas yet I decided to check my work by throwing the newly modified L2 head on an E1e body and see if a little dim light would shine out. Wow! Running on 1X123 it is at least as bright as my KL3 with a really nice hotspot.

Was it a mis-binned star? I had 2 of them from the same batch and the other has been used in a direct drive Streamlight Luxeon Task light for a long time now. No resistance to the led, and several sets of Duracell Ultras have gone through it with no ill effects.

I can't wait to see how it does on a E2e body with a Pila 168s.

gadget_lover

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
If you don't measure the current there is no way to tell if this will keep working for more than a short time.

Yes, you can abuse these little suckers for insanely bright output, but only for a short time. How short depends on the heat managment and how much it's overdriven.

That said,

It sounds pretty cool! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Daniel

Wildcat

Wildcat

Enlightened
HunterSon, I run a TV1K direct drive with a Pila 168/18650 in a mag 2C on a hotlips and it is fine. Around 1.1A IIRC.

H

HunterSon

Enlightened
The L2 bezel has a nice thick anodized aluminum heatsink and I have a 2 stage tailcap, so I think it will be worth a try. Besides, it was so easy to replace the led that if it does fail it can be swapped out with little effort.

TORCH_BOY

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been running a TX1L 3Watt star directly driven
at 1 Ampre in my FT-3C for 6 months now, I have had
no problems with it using NIMH cells. If the led
had a lower vf then I think it would be over driven.

nexro

nexro

Enlightened
Wouldn't it be dim if you direct drive the L2 bezel using the 2x 123 batts in the E2e?

shiftd

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
he is driving lux3 out from 2 123 batt, so it should be BRIGHT, not dim

H

HunterSon

Enlightened
Yes the stock L2 bezel is underdriven off of 2X123s but still produces useable light a little brighter than a stock L1 and about the same amount as the KL4 bezel run off of a E1e body.

Hallis

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like a neat idea, go for it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif but be sure to post up pics of the build /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

H

HunterSon

Enlightened
Finally got my Pilas today and tried them in the L2-III direct drive mod with a 2 stage tailcap. Low stage one is great as a get around the house light but direct drive stage 2 is a real scorcher! Literally and figuratively! Very, very bright and the bezel gets hot quickly like an L4. Lots of wow factor in my book.
Sorry, no pics yet.