direct driving 4 LuxIII?

wtraymond

Enlightened
You can wire each emitter in parallel and run all three direct drive from three NiMH D cells, but you'll be drawing 3-4 amps out of those batteries.

I'd recommend a boost convertor like the Fatman or Shark to drive four emitters in series. Use a battery holder to fit eight or nine AAs in a 2D or 3D host and boost the voltage to VfTotal. You should use low Vf emitters like 'H' or 'J' for ongest runtimes.

cy

Flashaholic
barbolight U-09 runs 3x Kbin luxeons in direct drive. wiring is in parallel. draw is aprox. 2.7 amps with fresh cells, then drops back.

you need to use 3x nmh Cells to do this properly. nmh have a fairly flat discharge rate.

Last edited:

DFiorentino

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ran 4 K-Vf LuxIII in parallel with 3D NiMH in the past and only pulled 2.5A on fresh cells (.625A per LuxIII). The same setup with 4C NiMH (in a 3D Mag) pulled 3.6A on fresh cells (.900A per LuxIII :rock: ). If I were to do it again, I would use some J-Vf on 3D NiMH.

-DF

cy

Flashaholic
DFiorentino said:
I ran 4 K-Vf LuxIII in parallel with 3D NiMH in the past and only pulled 2.5A on fresh cells (.625A per LuxIII). The same setup with 4C NiMH (in a 3D Mag) pulled 3.6A on fresh cells (.900A per LuxIII :rock: ). If I were to do it again, I would use some J-Vf on 3D NiMH.-DF
what type of meter did you use?
I'm using fluke 87's for accuracy

DFiorentino

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ideal 61-360. I know it's not "branded", but I did compare it against a few Flukes we have at worked and I saw no difference in accuracy.

-DF

cy

Flashaholic
if you calibrated meter against a fluke, then it's reasonably accurate.

I'll have to recharge my 3x C nmh and remeasure.

Turbo_E

Enlightened
i forgot to mention i'm using 4 X SX1K binned luxes, so parallel will work on 3 D's?

cy

Flashaholic
sure it'll work, it's a question if your 3x D nmh cells will support that many amps.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Turbo, Yes, 4 SX1K in parallel to 3D NiMH would be great. If your NiMH are good brand and capacity, then youre set.

I use titanium C NiMH 5000mah in my tri-lux w/ TX0K and it pulls right around 3.1amps fresh off the charger. Like 2.6 or something when they have sat for a long time.

Good 10000mah+ D cells would give you decent run time.

cy

Flashaholic
ok, retested barbolight U-09 for current draw with fluke 87

with fresh off charger 3x C nmh cells 2.753 amps
after cells sitting for overnight 2.674

mpf

Enlightened
What is the voltage burden of you meter?
That is how much voltage does the meter use just measuring the current.
This can affect your measurements.
An alternative is to measure the voltage across the leds and then as a separate test drive the leds to that voltage from a power supply and measure the current.
Need to do this quickly to avoid heating effects on the led Vf
matthew

Turbo_E

Enlightened
thanks guys. I'm building a ROP and was thinking of reusing my 2D mag, currently holding the 4 LuxIIIs.

the 4 will be shuttled to a 3 D mag.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Should work well with the K bin Vf and NiMH. Let us know! I'd do a quad mag but I like to use C's, so runtime woulnd't be that great. So I stick to my lowely tri-mag! :)