Disadvantages of scotch tape for diffusion

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I can be a cheap b*st*rd sometimes, and I've been wanting more flood out of my H51w, so I did the typical cheap b*st*rd thing and just used some Scotch 'Magic' tape on the lens, cut it down with an X-acto knife so it fit perfectly...

So a couple days ago I decided I wanted to take it back off... ugh, what an ordeal... The heat from the LED kind of melted the adhesive and the plastic of the tape a little bit, so getting it all off and getting the lens clean was a pain... I didn't want to use anything other than my fingernails to scrape it off as I didn't want to scratch the glass, and just a little bit of alcohol for the adhesive because I didn't want to take a chance on using anything stronger.

Anyway, short story long, after about 15 min of scraping and wiping I got the last bit of it off.

Moral; unless you're willing to put the time and work into cleaning it off when you don't want diffusion anymore, Scotch tape should be your last resort. :sick2:

Vader1111

Newly Enlightened
If the lens is recessed from the housing you can bridge the tape over the lens without touching the lens by making it tight across the opening between the housing lip. If the lens is flush cover the area that will actually touch the lens by adhering two pieces of tape to each other (sticky side in) and only attach the tape to the housing.

Just a thought.