Disappointed w Maglite 2D. Any quick upgrades?

bridgman

Enlightened
CPF Supporter
Joined
Dec 30, 2006
Messages
379
Location
Toronto, Canada
The other approach to consider is using AW's protected lithium cells. From the following thread, you would need :

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/140362&page=1

- 2 protected 18650s x $12 ea
- 1 charger x $15
- bulb -- either the ROP low or 5/6 cell mag
- any kind of tube or wrap to keep the batteries centered
-access to pliers/cutters and safety glasses to bend or trim about 10mm off the tailcap spring

I'm not sure if you need a spacer or button between the batteries -- anyone ?

You can add reflector and lens later -- just either go with the Mag bulb or don't run the ROP bulb for too long. There was a recent thread with a couple of people who did this. The results should be on a par with the 6 cell AA route plus the ultimate in low self discharge.

I'm thinking of doing this with a couple of 18500s (same length as a C) in a Mag 2C for my car light.
 
Last edited:

RickyT

Newly Enlightened
Joined
Jun 28, 2006
Messages
70
Location
Illinois
You can get the ROP lamps at lighthound too. They're cheaper there and you'll save the shipping.

Here are some more reflectors HS and MS in stock with a sale on the MS. These are camless so you'll need shims for focusing. Reflectors
 

bridgman

Enlightened
CPF Supporter
Joined
Dec 30, 2006
Messages
379
Location
Toronto, Canada
I just realized that nobody has mentioned Mag's own LED upgrade yet. They're about $20 in Canada, probably less in the US if you shop around, and they are a pretty good upgrade. Maybe twice the light output and twice the runtime of the stock bulb, and a much nicer beam. I'm not impressed with the stock Mag 2D either, but I think the MagLED 2D is a real useful light.

If you're looking for a simple mod to greatly improve your flashlight, this is a good place to start.

The other option is to hold off until brighter Cree or Seoul-based LED upgrades become affordable. It has to happen some time soon.

Now you have too many choices. Welcome to CPF :lolsign:
 
Last edited:

Mike Iver

Newly Enlightened
Joined
Sep 30, 2006
Messages
55
Buy the litemania adapters and use a 5 or 6 cell krypton bulb with alkaline batteries. This will be a cheap, bright, alternative that you can purchase additional parts later for an ROP.
 

GeorgePaul

Enlightened
Joined
Jul 2, 2005
Messages
551
Location
Southern California
bridgman said:
The other option is to hold off until brighter Cree or Seoul-based LED upgrades become affordable. It has to happen some time soon.
A Seoul-based upgrade is available now. blitzlicht65 pointed to one -- see above. It's not cheap, but the price is not outrageous either.
 

EssLight

Newly Enlightened
Joined
Oct 11, 2006
Messages
176
Location
near Philadelphia, PA
Brighteyez said:
Insert 6 full charged AA NiMH batteries, replace the 2 cell krypton bulb with a 5 cell Xenon bulb, and you'll have a low cost light that is much brighter than your TL-3 or PT Surge.
I am running that exact combination in a Brinkmann 2D light. Is there output data for it somewhere on CPF? I was under the impression that a TL-3, running on 3xcr123a = 9V would be brighter than 7.2V into a 5 cell Xenon bulb.

I am very satisfied with the 6xAA NiMH with 5 cell Xenon bulb combo. The best part about it is the runtime, 2.5 hours on a fully charged set of batteries [I am using Duracell 2650s]. I also like the voltage discharge characteristics of the NiMH batteries, the brightness does not dim much over time, as if the light were semi-regulated.
 
Last edited:

bridgman

Enlightened
CPF Supporter
Joined
Dec 30, 2006
Messages
379
Location
Toronto, Canada
I also think the TL3 is brighter than the 5 cell xenon on 7.2v. Flashlight reviews said total output of 100 for TL3, vs 60 for 6 cell xenon + 3xCR123 (7.2v under load or even a bit higher).

The 5 cell bulb would be brighter and whiter than the 6 cell bulb but I don't think it would go from 60 to over 100. Having said that, the 5 cell bulb on 6xAA is a VERY useful light because of the nice long runtime. I keep going back to that myself, just too lazy to update my sig line.

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/maglite_2c-123a_mod.htm

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/streamlight_tactical.htm
 

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Joined
Sep 4, 2002
Messages
11,041
Location
Shepherd, TX (where dat?)
+1 on M*gled!

I have a M*gled in a 2C and it is one of my faves!

Also, a 4 cell M*gled running on 4C in a 3D was left running for what I believe was two days. It had right at 1.0x Volts in each C and was still bright enough for dark use.
 

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joined
Apr 5, 2005
Messages
3,963
Location
San Jose, CA
Sorry, I should have been a bit more explicit. The throw from the 2D Mag with 6 AA NiMH batteries and a 5 cell Mag-Num Star bulb will be noticably greater than the throw from a TL-3 (you won't need numbers, you'll be able to see the difference with the naked eye, though the numbers from the flashlightreviews 3 x CR123 to 6 cell bulb should give you a rough estimation.) The overall light output from this mod will be less than that from a TL-3, but if you need something that will throw a hot spot over 100 yards, this combination should do it for you.

In terms of current consumption, either the 6AA NiMH with the 5 cell Xenon bulb or 6AA alkalines with a 6 cell Xenon bulb will draw about 3/4 Amp. The 5 cell Xenon with the NiMH batteries will give you a bit more run time with the output remaining whiter during it's run cycle than the 6 alkalines than the 6 cell bulb with the alkalines.

The drawback using the stock reflectors from both the Mag and the TL-3 is the horrid output that Mags are famous for, however that ugly spot does diminish over distance. Any modification to the reflector on the Mag or the use of a textured reflector will reduce the overall throw.

EssLight said:
I was under the impression that a TL-3, running on 3xcr123a = 9V would be brighter than 7.2V into a 5 cell Xenon bulb.

I am very satisfied with the 6xAA NiMH with 5 cell Xenon bulb combo. The best part about it is the runtime, 2.5 hours on a fully charged set of batteries [I am using Duracell 2650s]. I also like the voltage discharge characteristics of the NiMH batteries, the brightness does not dim much over time, as if the light were semi-regulated.

bridgman said:
I also think the TL3 is brighter than the 5 cell xenon on 7.2v. Flashlight reviews said total output of 100 for TL3, vs 60 for 6 cell xenon + 3xCR123 (7.2v under load or even a bit higher).
 

EssLight

Newly Enlightened
Joined
Oct 11, 2006
Messages
176
Location
near Philadelphia, PA
Brighteyez said:
Sorry, I should have been a bit more explicit. The throw from the 2D Mag with 6 AA NiMH batteries and a 5 cell Mag-Num Star bulb will be noticably greater than the throw from a TL-3 (you won't need numbers, you'll be able to see the difference with the naked eye, though the numbers from the flashlightreviews 3 x CR123 to 6 cell bulb should give you a rough estimation.) The overall light output from this mod will be less than that from a TL-3, but if you need something that will throw a hot spot over 100 yards, this combination should do it for you.
OK, that explains it, by "brighter", you meant more throw rather than more output.
Brighteyez said:
In terms of current consumption, either the 6AA NiMH with the 5 cell Xenon bulb or 6AA alkalines with a 6 cell Xenon bulb will draw about 3/4 Amp.
I have measured more than that, around 900 mA for 6AA NiMH with 5 cell Xenon bulb. I am unsure of the accuracy of that measurement, it is done with a cheap Craftsman multimeter. But it seems to make sense, for 2.5 hours of battery life from cells rated at 2650 mAh.

EssLight
 

bridgman

Enlightened
CPF Supporter
Joined
Dec 30, 2006
Messages
379
Location
Toronto, Canada
I don't believe this... 15 years later I find that back in 2007 I apparently knew about 5 cell Mag bulbs and TL-3 bulbs. I just had some of each arrive and was sure that in both cases that was the first time I was seeing them... but my own posts in CPF from 2007 tell the truth.

What I can say based on 2022 info is that 5 cell MagnumStar II bulbs go poof on 2 18500 cells. I'm going to try the second bulb on 6 Eneloops and hope it does better.
 
Last edited:

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joined
Mar 17, 2001
Messages
2,622
Location
dayton oh
Xenon bulbs are much less forgiving than krypton when overdriving.
They are already overdriven close to the edge at design voltage.
 

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joined
Feb 18, 2008
Messages
1,031
I've done the 4-cell Mag bi-pin bulb on 5 NiMH AAs several times and no *poof* so far. They weren't hot off the charger though. Voltage was something like 1.33 typically I think.
 

strideredc

Enlightened
CPF Supporter
Joined
Dec 13, 2006
Messages
449
Location
UK
You can get camed and camless reflectors at kaidomain still...and borofloat (let's say glass? ;) ) Buy now to avoid disappointment I would say.....
 
Top