Disaster on top of disaster preparedness

I had that quote in the first post. Don't forget the second quote I posted: "Plans are worthless, but planning is everything" -General Patton. The idea is to adapt to changes in your situation. Have plans for different contingencies and adapt new ones to your changing reality.

I understand your point. Do you understand General Patton's, Killer Mike Tyson's and mine?

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes. Trying to plan for the unknown pits you against a disaster. There's a good chance you might not survive. But that doesn't mean you should give up hope of surviving. You only lose when you give up trying.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unless there's an idiot running the show, they will hit the tower area with retardant.

Fire reached the access road right before the towers last night. Air crews were called off when it got dark last night. They may not have been able to drop the fire retardant. Containment of the fire dropped from 15% to 13%. This is a really persistent fire. It's the size of Denver, Colorado.

Yes. Trying to plan for the unknown pits you against a disaster. There's a good chance you might not survive. But that doesn't mean you should give up hope of surviving. You only lose when you give up trying.

Close. Sometimes, regardless of your plan/s, you get punched in the face instantly after the "sound of the bell" and it's game over man! Game over! Here in the Pacific Northwest, 40 years ago, 57 people thought they had a plan. Then Mount St. Helens erupted. Those 57 people died. They didn't die because they gave up trying. They died because they came face to face with a disaster.

The point? It's unwise to put too much faith, or pride if you will, in one's plan.

The best laid plans of mice and men oft go astray.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't prepare for disasters that are totally out of my control like a volcano, asteroid, or nuclear bomb that kills me instantly. The only prep for those is faith in God. I prepare for disasters where good decisions have the potential of keeping me alive and I have a chance to get out of the way when the shtf. There are a lot of unknowns and unique situations we have been going through this year, but many you can see coming a mile away and do something about them before it's too late. Have complete awareness of your environment and you will be caught off guard less often.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
All these professional fighters had a plan .... Then they met a disaster face to face.

[video]

It's a worthy endeavor to plan for the worst. But it's wise to remember your plan pits you against something aptly named a disaster.

[video]https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/PhQsxcbo6gk?start=26&end=210[/video]

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like so far, the tower farm and Mt. Wilson Observatory have been spared from the Bobcat fire. However, there are 200 fewer firefighters available for the next couple days (went from 1700 to 1500 firefighters) and there have been spotfires (currently contained) on Mt. Harvard which also has communication towers. I think the firefighters are pretty well worn out by now. We'll see how this plays out. They're supposed to get Santa Ana winds arriving over the weekend.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just saw this TED talk about the mind of a procrastinator, almost on topic regarding plans, the solution is definitely on topic. Plans change and adjust and get less ideal. So don't plan. Develop good habits, turn them into rituals, and eventually be ready for anything even without any plan. Just be reactive, like Donnie Yen/Tony Hawk/Jet Li/Mario Lemieux/Jackie Chan/Bruce Lee et al. Make karma, aka cause and effect, work for you. The image translators work for the construct program - but there's way too much information to decode the Matrix. Maybe it is a little paranoid to develop rituals to deal with crisis or disaster that doesn't come or comes rarely, but maybe proper successful reaction to disaster can be memorized as a skill, like riding a bike, so there when you need it, but otherwise not ruling your life. If it is a perishable skill, bone up once in a while.

Last edited:

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Advice for the bad guys. Us good guys want them to believe movie logic and strategy is real, so we can be effective in the real world.

Yes, the movies aren't real, I think the movie Kung Fu is called Hong Kong Wire, or Wire Fu. But the philosophy (not mere ideology, but bone fide philosophical schools of knowledge) is genuine and complete, and there is such a thing as Kung Fu and Wing Chun, and using these as metaphor for other skills works well. Make your disaster fu strong, you will never go wrong.

Last edited:

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone else find it strange that in the Los Angeles area (Los Angeles means the angels) there is a fire threatening a observatory for stargazing and communication towers? In the Bible, angel means messenger and angels are often compared with stars. Viewing of the stars and sending messages via the communication towers are being threatened by the Bobcat fire.

Poppy

Flashaholic
I don't see the connection, but I'd bet that there are some ministers who will claim that it is the work of the Devil, and that people should come to the Lord, and send in money.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Santa Ana winds are supposed to pick up this week and bring another heatwave. Might freak out some people if the towers and observatory were to get destroyed tomorrow, the Day of Atonement (in Jewish culture, it's your last day to get right with God). We'll see. Odds are nothing will happen and the fire will just take longer to put out. But who knows, it is 2020. Anything can happen.

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
Well according to religious mythology, I`m going to hell from the second I was born! ...still not worried! LOL
The thing that should be of concern is that if the coms towers get ruined, it`ll make life so much more difficult for the emergency workers trying to deal with it :(

Poppy

Flashaholic
Well according to religious mythology, I`m going to hell from the second I was born! ...still not worried! LOL
The thing that should be of concern is that if the coms towers get ruined, it`ll make life so much more difficult for the emergency workers trying to deal with it :(
Absolutely, more difficult.
Short wave radio would still work, but who knows how well they are prepared to use that technology. I guess satellite phones too.

Katherine, when you go, you'll get to play with all of the Viking women of the past. They never got to go to Valhalla. OTOH there were warrior women, I wonder if they got to go?

In either case, I believe that you'll be safe. :thumbsup:

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like the August fire is going after the pot farms in California and the Glass fire is burning the wineries. How are Californians supposed to put up with these lockdowns sober? Watch out for the zombie hordes in withdrawal taking to the streets. They won't be chanting "brains", they'll be moaning " beer".

Last edited: