Discontinued flashlight that you love

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now the SureFire 6P and G2
⊙▁⊙

It was a huge disappointment for me to see the 6P and G2 discontinued! I have a few but liked the fact that they were still available new whenever I wanted another. Still seeing NOS 6Ps but the G2 seems to be drying up.

Last edited:

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
The foursevens/PK colaboration.
IMG_20170529_210234.jpg

I have way too many 6P's to miss them.

The PK Knight and Paladin from foursevens are better lights than they got credit for being IMHO. The negative comments kept me from buying for a while but at least I got in on the clearance. I EDC the Knight frequently.

Archibald Tuttle

Newly Enlightened
Since 2012, JetBeam TCR1. Still chuffed to bits with this tool. The latest 18350 nearly reaching primary CR123 ampacity is welcome too. There is a wealth of information here in regards to the TCR1. To everyone who contributed, a sincere thanks.

IMG_20180501_081623470_LL.jpg

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The PK Knight and Paladin from foursevens are better lights than they got credit for being IMHO. The negative comments kept me from buying for a while but at least I got in on the clearance. I EDC the Knight frequently.

PK does what PK does, critics be d@m'd. Being the first one through the wall can be an ugly experience. And the Paladin/Knight led to a bunch of popular lights later.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
It was a huge disappointment for me to see the 6P and G2 discontinued! I have a few but liked the fact that they were still available new whenever I wanted another. Still seeing NOS 6Ps but the G2 seems to be drying up.

10 years ago the standard thing on the forum was getting a 6P, less commonly 9P and getting it bored to 18m for performance stuff and of course there was a number of aftermarket 6p bodies, primarily FiveMega and Leef at the time.

When Malkoff came up with the MD* format lights - not sure of the precise timeline - he kind of made that obsolete. When he came up with heads that outdid anything you could do with the 6P platform, the OEM 6P became irrelevant. Why buy a P60 module when you can just buy a M61HOT? or M61T? I will probably never buy a 6P again for modding. If you want a basic EDC light, you get a regular MD2 with something like M61LL in it, that's already bored for 18mm, or if you want some horsepower you can climb up the M61T / M61HOT / M91 and of course the 18650 Hound Dog ladder which also runs off MD2 body and you can swap between 18650 HD and M61T for example, or some low powered head.

I do wonder if Malkoff contributed to Surefire's 6P demise. In the sense that they went to the sealed head that wasn't possible to unscrew open and mod anymore.

I questioned Malkoff's decision from the start to use MD* heads that were not compatible with Surefire C/C bodies but as it turns out long-term was exactly the correct decision and the right way to adapt to the changing landscape, since C/C has become irrelevant, or nearly so.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Gene did what a bunch of others at the time did.... used a 2x123 platform to make cop lights. He had police and first reponders in mind just like Don Keller did decades before. The fairly smooth knurling is for the same reason as Don and Mr Maglite did it. Rapid deployment. Gene started out with a format that had been proven to not be just a fad... the LED. Also he saw the potential of pulled laptop batteries as a viable fuel option.

SureFire had military persons in mind with the 6P. Gloved individuals in high stress situations. Primary fuel was deemed more reliable than rechargeables (even though SureFire used to do 6 volt rechargeables, that required a special length body to provide any runtime back then). Grip was part of the equation when one cannot drop their light... even with wet hands. Remember, the original 6,6c and 6p lights were fairly smooth. It was not until the 6P was re-irtoduced that the aggressive knurling took place.

Gene started out where Maglite left off... smaller, brighter dependable flashlights that were the bees knees to a few professionals who potentially put their life on the line. It caught on and the rest is history.

The only similarity is that they began as CR123 fed lights. Each started out going after different niche markets

Last edited:

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some old school Surefire (6P/C2/G2 and A2 original)

Ra Twisty with 85 lumens and red low light

CMG Infinity

Arc AAA and Arc 6

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
10 years ago the standard thing on the forum was getting a 6P, less commonly 9P and getting it bored to 18m for performance stuff and of course there was a number of aftermarket 6p bodies, primarily FiveMega and Leef at the time.

When Malkoff came up with the MD* format lights - not sure of the precise timeline - he kind of made that obsolete. When he came up with heads that outdid anything you could do with the 6P platform, the OEM 6P became irrelevant. Why buy a P60 module when you can just buy a M61HOT? or M61T? I will probably never buy a 6P again for modding. If you want a basic EDC light, you get a regular MD2 with something like M61LL in it, that's already bored for 18mm, or if you want some horsepower you can climb up the M61T / M61HOT / M91 and of course the 18650 Hound Dog ladder which also runs off MD2 body and you can swap between 18650 HD and M61T for example, or some low powered head.

I do wonder if Malkoff contributed to Surefire's 6P demise. In the sense that they went to the sealed head that wasn't possible to unscrew open and mod anymore.

I questioned Malkoff's decision from the start to use MD* heads that were not compatible with Surefire C/C bodies but as it turns out long-term was exactly the correct decision and the right way to adapt to the changing landscape, since C/C has become irrelevant, or nearly so.

I think all of Gene's products are great and the M61T is a personal favorite! That said the 6P still offers quite a bit and remains desirable for me. The switch on the 6P is probably the most reliable out there and I would rather have it sometimes than a clickie. The other big advantage of the 6P is the wide variety of drop-ins available including but not limited to the Malkoff M61. If you want a triple emitter or a different style of multi-mode than what Gene offers you can get it for the 6P. I am happy enough to buy the MD2/3/4 for the M61T and other Malkoff heads that are not compatible with the SF design.

Malkoff did more to keep the 6P alive than anything leading to it's demise I think. Surefire never seemed too fond of the aftermarket community anyway and likely discontinued the 6p and similar designs because they were incans and they moved over to LED like everyone else.

The MD2 and siblings are fantastic lights but I am still a user of the 6P/9P and G2 as well.

Last edited:

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maglite Roar of the Pelican, it's not so much that the bulbs have been discontinued, it's more that it is irrelevant these days. You can get a Hi-CRI 18650-powered pocket -rocket that will blow the ROP out of the water on throw, output and runtime. Back in the day your only options to breach 600 lumens was a very expensive Surefire M6, or to build your own, the latter of which was inexpensive, didn't require a lot of skill, but was very satisfying.

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
All incandescent flashlights from Surefire. It's a real shame that they have completely abandoned the incandescent in favor of all LEDs. 6Ps, E1E and E2Es, M4 and M6s, A2s, all great lights.
I don't own any LED lights from Surefire. Just not interested in any of the offerings.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I think there are places for incandescent lights. I have several and am stocking up on p60 p90 lamps because when there gone there gone. Biggest problem with them is runtime.