Discussion thread: A2 dumb LED rings - (Onion Ring)

Flashlight Aficionado

Enlightened
Re: FS - Onion Rings (SF A2 LED rings)

Hi koala,

Would there be any possibility of purchasing one set of the high power Nichia High CRI 350mA D2 color rank from McGizmo with my order? I understand you might still have a few of these available.

I am first in line, since I started the interest and the list.

In the other thread, I am talking to koala about what is available. My Last Post.

jojobos

Enlightened
Re: FS - Onion Rings (SF A2 LED rings)

Koala says he will get High CRI Nichia if there is enough interest.

So,

Anybody interested in High CRI Nichias?

So far we have -
Flashlight Aficionado
Muddquez
RichS
novice
Machete God
ConG
gswitter
UnderTheWeepingMoon
computernut
1wrx7
rjr104
niki net
ejot
mwaldron
nfetterly

please add me to the list, Thanks.

Flashlight Aficionado

Enlightened
Koala - What, if any, choices do we have in High CRI 5mm LED? Any brand of course.

How many Nichia High CRIs from McGizmo do you have?

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have much time to source for a 5mm CRI LED. If Nichia or Cree doesn't make one I doubt there exists any.

I dont have any High Power Stars Nichia High CRI from Mcgizmo for sale. It's best to go to the forum and see if he has anymore for sale.

Koala - What, if any, choices do we have in High CRI 5mm LED? Any brand of course.

How many Nichia High CRIs from McGizmo do you have?

Last edited:

Flashlight Aficionado

Enlightened
I don't have much time to source for a 5mm CRI LED. If Nichia or Cree doesn't make one I doubt there exists any.

I dont have any High Power Stars Nichia High CRI from Mcgizmo for sale. It's best to go to the forum and see if he has anymore for sale.

:mecry: I'll still keep the list running. Hopefully there will be enough interest for you to find a source for high CRIs.

or

*Did we/me make a mistake and assumed the high CRI Nichias were 5mm LEDs, like the ones the Onion Ring uses? And that there are no high CRI in 5mm?

If so - :oops:

ASheep

Enlightened
*Did we/me make a mistake and assumed the high CRI Nichias were 5mm LEDs, like the ones the Onion Ring uses? And that there are no high CRI in 5mm?

If so - :oops:

I'm pretty sure this is what Koala has been telling everyone for the past few days... There are no 5mm High CRI, the ones he has (which are not for sale) are 350mA power chips mounted on stars. As such they won't fit in the onion rings.

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
ASheep is right, sorry for misleading. I changed the details in the sales post.

crirt.jpg

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
EDIT:
I posted too soon. I found a 20mA SHARP PLCC2 LED with a cool white color temperature of 5200K with typical CRI 90!! I see if I source it.
http://www.dema.net/images/pdf/sharp/sharp_led_selection_guide_white.pdf

I might get a couple of these http://www.zenigata.de/0-8_doubledome.html . It's small enough and doesn't need cooling, I can solder two leads for mounting. Although efficiency isn't great but I like how the typical CRI number stay constant throughout the range of cooler and warmer tints. Not sure how well they work(CRI) when driven at 30mA as they are 120deg flood. Might have to create a new circuit for it to work at full current. I will update when I get them.

Last edited:

Flashlight Aficionado

Enlightened
Koala says he will get High CRI 5mm LEDs if there is enough interest.

So,

Anybody interested in High CRI Nichias?

So far we have -
Flashlight Aficionado
Muddquez
RichS
novice
Machete God
ConG
gswitter
UnderTheWeepingMoon
computernut
1wrx7
rjr104
niki net
ejot
mwaldron
nfetterly
jojobos

Inliner

Newly Enlightened
You can put me on if they'll make a nice beam. I got my Onion Ring and have the Warm Whites fitted. The colored leds I added with the OR all have rather ringy uneven beams. The WWs are a bit on the yellow/green side but nice beam! And they sure beat SF purple/blue!

afraidofdark

Enlightened
I received my Onion Ring today, along with a full complement of LED color choices :thumbsup: I'm up too late but I wanted to share with you all my joy at getting to finally play with this superb creation.

The packaging was impressively organized :)
dsc0705y.jpg

I tried warm white LEDs first, the initial LED installation was very snug, later installations were a bit easier (but the LEDs are still firmly seated once installed).
dsc0706hc.jpg

All the screw holes lined up perfectly (though I only used the one indicated hole for my test installs). And as someone reported in the sales thread, the fivemega strion socket (pictured) works like a charm. I also tested a Lumens Factory lamp assembly, with no problems.
dsc0708g.jpg

And here we have some warm white light! I did not adjust the current trim pot at all, the default setting seems to be similar to the brightness of the LEDs on the stock ring.
dsc0709r.jpg

Here's some green LEDs. You can see in the beamshot that they are indeed much nicer/smoother than the Surefire factory green ones.
dsc0712n.jpg

dsc0717u.jpg

Blue LEDs are a very nice blue.
dsc0722d.jpg

Here's your standard going-to-the-circus A2, one yellow, one amber, and one cyan LED :nana:
dsc0711k.jpg

I think my favorite colors are the warm white and the UV (the UV works really well without a lot of extra visible purple light). I left the warm white LEDs in for now.

Koala this is an amazing accomplishment. The planning and thought that went into the Onion Ring is obvious when you are working with it. I can't imagine the skill that must have been required for its execution (koalas must be very dexterous). Thank you so much for bringing this level of customization to all of us A2 lovers!

ASheep

Enlightened
Got my Onion Ring today, played with all the different colours, the Warm White is a lot yellower than I like, but still alright, the amber is lovely, the UV are cool, but not super useful, and some really dim red LEDs that I found in my garage are in it now, to give it a super low low :D
Thanks Koala!

UnderTheWeepingMoon

Enlightened
My Onion Ring arrived today. Thanks, Koala, for all your work putting together such a great product. All my screws line up perfectly with the holes in my A2's head and installation was simple.

I've always wanted a green A2 and, with the Onion Ring, I think my light is better than what SureFire sells. I also tried the warm white LEDs but they were a bit too warm for my taste. It's great now to have LED colour choices for my light. :)